Im making a gold mining game, and I could use some help

BrandonSPX

Greenie
Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm making a gold mining game, and I could use some help

I'm creating a gold mining game for Windows, Mac, Linux, and possibly iOS and Android. The goal is to put the player in charge of a placer mining operation, similar to the ones depicted on the TV show Gold Rush Alaska. I could use some help and feedback from those who know the processes well.

Here is a list of machines and functions, to the best of my understanding. Please feel free to correct any of the following, including terminology, order, etc.

1. Drill holes to determine the depth and density of gold bearing soil.
2. With a bulldozer, clear anything above the surface, including trees and other flora.
3. With a bulldozer and a ripper attachment, remove frozen layer of soil (if any).
4. With a bulldozer, strip layers of soil until gold bearing layers are reached.
5. With a loader, load pay dirt onto hauler.
6. With a hauler, transport pay dirt to wash plant.
7. With an excavator, feed the wash plant with pay dirt.

Does this process look correct? What can be done to improve it?

In some situations, it seemed like the excavator was used to get down to the pay dirt, but in others, the bulldozer was used exclusively, so I'm sure there is something I am missing there.

In addition to correcting the processes and terminology above, please feel free to add anything that you think could make a gold mining simulator more enjoyable/realistic.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Halfway through game a safety inspector shuts you down? Seriously though I guess you could include weather, fuel and equipment issues, correct clean out timing, cash flow etc. You could have the game start as a solo miner and go to small operation to jr gold company to openpit.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I think budget would be a huge part of the game.

soupfreak

Mar 22, 2012
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More elements you can add would be weather, wildlife, protesters and claim jumpers.

Weather would slow down or stop operations. Sand bagging water flow, and plowing snow would be used to control conditions.

Too much wildlife entering your claim would end up shutting down operations. You build fences to keep them out or wrangle them.

Protesters would vandalize equipment, and claim jumpers would prospect illegally and also vandalize equipment. You would have the choice to either hire security as an ongoing cost, or more fencing at a one time cost.

As a fun hack, protesters and claim jumpers could be wrangled along with the wildlife! Just think of the fun animations you could create to go along with that!!!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets keep it as real as possible, really wrangling protesters with animals why not have alien outerspace invations also then. Start as small miners and build up as said and also buy equipment as cash dictates. The whole concept sounds good and if done correctly without a bunch of nonsense I would buy it. I enjoy games like the sim city game.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
Lets keep it as real as possible, really wrangling protesters with animals why not have alien outerspace invations also then. Start as small miners and build up as said and also buy equipment as cash dictates. The whole concept sounds good and if done correctly without a bunch of nonsense I would buy it. I enjoy games like the sim city game.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

lol. I think soupfreak was eluding to a backdoor/hidden modes in the game like Doom having IDKFA cheats for added flare.

I like the idea of starting off as a small one-man operation. Maybe not even having your own claim but having to lease a claim. With the starting budget to buy materials and only so much for claim leasing. Then as you gain money you can lease larger/better claims. Similar to unlocking levels/special weapons/car mods in some games works. Hell, you could even make it so that you have to start by using public lands if you wanna sink all of your cash into tools.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Equipment breakdowns. Investors. Also using other types of equipment. Dredges, pans, drywashers, small sampling sluices. Large sluices. And, when you get to large scale operations, don't forget about the guy who dictates whether you work or not, the fuel delivery guy. YOu can also add fun toys such as Polaris Rangers, firearms for defense, or fun, snowmobiles. And, Uncle Sam will want his cut. Also, if you want a picture of a really good looking guy to use for one of your characters, I'm your man. Send me an email, and I'll get you a picture of Brad Pitt right away. LMAO!

OP
OP
B

BrandonSPX

Greenie
Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all, so far, for the great suggestions. I plan to use many of them.

So, I definitely intend to start the game as a one man mining operation, on leased or public land.

The part I'm struggling with is what level to start mining on. My initial plan was to start as a one man operation, with leased equipment (bulldozer, ATV, dumptruck, excavator, washplant) and land, and investors to pay back.

I'm not sure if I could see a reasonable way to start the game as a single miner with a pan and a dream. It would throw the pace of the game off a bit. Keep in mind that this is a simulation style game, and while I can make a 2D character go up to a river and perform an action, the panning part will all be simulated. In concept, panning for gold sounds fun, but I just don't know how I can create compelling gameplay for it in a 2D simulation. Perhaps you folks can help out there.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make the panning part like the Ceasar game. It is a tutorial to learn the functions and to sample to locate a pay streak. Then you can have it so you can continue in the game from the tutorial or choose a random map and start it the same as the tutorial. As in real life you have to locate and sample first.

OP
OP
B

BrandonSPX

Greenie
Apr 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make the panning part like the Ceasar game. It is a tutorial to learn the functions and to sample to locate a pay streak. Then you can have it so you can continue in the game from the tutorial or choose a random map and start it the same as the tutorial. As in real life you have to locate and sample first.

Not a bad idea actually. I've been coding the game for a few weeks now, and that is a good way to 'start smaller' without breaking what I have.

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Yes, you gotta have the pan used in the game! Even with the biggest operations it all comes back to the pan. Maybe have different pans with different strengths. Like speed and recovery or price. Or maybe use that platform for all the equipment if you hadn't already. Have the upgrade system available for everything. I'm sure you got something like that already. I'm excited for you and the game! Strike while the iron is hot and gold mining is main stream right now. Hope you make it for Droid! It would be the only game I break down and buy lol!

Paul from SFbayarea

Mar 23, 2013
Union City, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Other
If you were making this for smartphones or iPads, you actually COULD do some "real" panning since they can use motion to play. You could shake it back and forth to get the heavies down to the bottom, and even tip the iPad (goldpan) and tap the side to get the lighter materials off. Another way to pan would be to do it "Dragon's Lair" style where the panning is already animated but you have to press a button or a certain direction at the precise time to keep the animation going, and if you mess up the timing of button/direction pressing, you lose gold from the riffles.

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Budget, machinery preventative maint./ breakdowns, weather affecting production, gold prices.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would suggest that every time in the game that you make a bad decision that affects the finances, safety and future of your crew your beard grows a little longer, Todd Hoffman style....

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were making this for smartphones or iPads, you actually COULD do some "real" panning since they can use motion to play. You could shake it back and forth to get the heavies down to the bottom, and even tip the iPad (goldpan) and tap the side to get the lighter materials off.

Just the panning app would be pretty cool by itself. Hours of fun during those long winter days.

A couple of other "environmental factors" wife 2.0 and girlfriend 1.0, not in any particular order.

farnorcal

Greenie
Jan 19, 2014
redding, ca
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
cant wait to play, bout time someone came up with a sensable game. it might show these kids about actually workin hard for your dollar instead of it gettin handed to ya!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread