Is drywashing the next logical step for me?

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq a year ago to hunt for gold and meteorites... Never found anything and discovered panning and found gold. Gold fever then kicked in and I bought a Keene A51 sluice and have done OK with it, when I can find enough water in a gold-bearing creek to run it. Lately, I've just been going across town to Lynx creek and panning to get my gold fix. I find maybe $10 worth a trip.

I live in central Arizona and there are dozens of good gold areas within a hour's drive of me. I have a 4wd and an ATV and can get into very remote areas with a small amount of equipment.

It's the lack of water that is restricting me. I can build a recirculating sluice to process gold in remote areas, but it seems that drywashers are more efficient and effective for my area.

I was considering selling my MD and buying a drywasher...

What are the pros and cons of drywashers?

Can I get a decent drywasher and be ready to use it for the price of what my MD is worth?

Upvote 0

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a recirculating sluice but if I were in the desert I'd go drywasher because the water does need to be changed when running fine material occasionally and could be a problem for you. It's great for testing but running lots of material I would want water nearby. Having said that the retention of the recirculating sluice is better so it comes down to water issue.

OP
OP
idowa

idowa

Jan 21, 2012
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking online, it seems a good quality dry washer runs about $500, but then you have to buy a gas blower and tubing, which seems around another $200... If I could sell my MD for $500, then I would still need to invest another $200 to make the dry washer functional... I haven't found $200 worth of gold yet... Then there is the matter of finding a place to run it.

Joining a club and using one of their sites would be easiest...

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking online, it seems a good quality dry washer runs about $500, but then you have to buy a gas blower and tubing, which seems around another $200... If I could sell my MD for $500, then I would still need to invest another $200 to make the dry washer functional... I haven't found $200 worth of gold yet... Then there is the matter of finding a place to run it.

That's what I did. The best choice I've made in many years of mining.
10 different club claims to go to anytime.
A regular club sponsored outing at the end of every month.
Good people too.:goldpan:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out my buddy Bret Chilcott at AZ Desert Gold Tell him I said to call, and he will fill you in on what you need to know about drywashing in AZ.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Do your homework on purchasing a Drywasher as they are not equal. Check out my link in my signature. This company makes some of the finest Drywashers made and the they are priced right and the quality is second to none. Also check the drywasher threads, Drywashers

Join a local club would be your best bet and ask the members the pros and cons for your area. I have been vacuuming with my custom made vac and doing very well in finding gold in a new area I found of which is a dry wash. In all I recovered 119 pieces of gold in one week.

wash7.jpg

20130503132536.jpg

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

That would be your ticket right there. Road runner has a bunch of claims in your neighborhood that hav running water for you to use. PM me and I'll explain a special deal on membership if you are interested....

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out my buddy Bret Chilcott at AZ Desert Gold Tell him I said to call, and he will fill you in on what you need to know about drywashing in AZ.

Do your homework on purchasing a Drywasher as they are not equal. Check out my link in my signature. This company makes some of the finest Drywashers made and the they are priced right and the quality is second to none. Also check the drywasher threads, Drywashers

Join a local club would be your best bet and ask the members the pros and cons for your area. I have been vacuuming with my custom made vac and doing very well in finding gold in a new area I found of which is a dry wash. In all I recovered 119 pieces of gold in one week.

View attachment 790895

View attachment 790894
I don't know either of you two fine gentleman, and I would like to meet you both sometime in the future, so don't get offended at me, but why do you two follow each other around so? One says this drywasher, the other say that. It is getting very tiring. I honestly think you two should start your own thread, and get this continual arguement out of the way. Again, respect to BOTH of you. Sorry for the hijack Idowa, rant over.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Idowa,

Sorry if I hyjack your thread it was not my intention. I only offered to you to do your homework as there are many DW on the market. Terry S. likes the DW that he uses at his camp and I suggested another brand. Kaz, I suppose its the nature of the beast. Personally I want those that are looking for a DW not to buy junk and there is lots of junk on the market and eBay. No I am not say that the DW Terry is pushing is junk. I am only suggesting to those that are buying a DW to have an open mind and research all DW and do a comparison of the componets used. There is a difference.

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
idowa,
Sending you a PM,look for it..

I just found a great little drywasher for $200. Looks just like a gold buddy, little smaller maybe, but all aluminum, and with out the name on the side, couldn't tell the difference.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You answered your own question-simply join a local yokel club-go to nuggetshooters.com an az forum with quite a few local REAL NON PROFIT CLUBS and meet/greet some really righteous crazy goldnutz with more experience in your area than you'd believe. You just gotta quit throwing cash at a problem that can be fixed with a little skill and knowledge and have a ball,profit too-john

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread