Sponge that filters gold

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read about this sponge has potential in catching fine gold, I don't know anything more than whats in the patent as far as where to get it but it seems a few of these sponges lined up could have some small time miner applications. I think BASF used to may still make it? Hope this is useful/interesting to somebody.:icon_scratch:
Quote from patent:
"It is accordingly an object of the present invention to provide a polymer capable of absorbing transition metal ions while having little affinity for multi-valent non-transition metal ions such as aluminum, calcium and magnesium.

It is another object of this invention to provide a polymer as in the foregoing object in a physical form presenting little impedance to the flow of water in contact with said polymer.

It is a further object of the present invention to provide a polymer of the aforesaid nature disposed upon a porous sponge and capable of absorbing significant amounts of transition metal ions while being substantially unaffected by water-borne suspended matter."

link to FREE patent Polymer product for the selective absorption of dissolved ions - Rainer, Norman B.
link to nano-net and sponge discussion that gave me patent link Extraction of gold from seawater

Upvote 0

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Nothing new here. I've experimented with Activated Charcoal which also attracts gold and a whole lot cheaper than polymers. You've got to know what you're doing to recover it which requires leaching. I think you're much better off to find the free milling gold.

Randy

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is different than throwing charcoal into aqua regia. I know mining companies and nuclear clean-up crews use it to catch heavies, I know they use nano-nets too and thought maybe one of these has come down in price to make other applications possible like after blue bowl or maybe we could buy the state some to filter the rivers and they would let us dredge. I just wanted to add just because I'm posting something for myself or other members to discuss, doesn't mean I endorse or believe in the idea. I suspect It isn't uncommon for posters not to post for fear of this. It is a quick inference that I'm going to go buy a boat with nano-nets on it tomorrow and wasn't my point in posting it, Goodnight.

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
This is over my paygrade, but I find it fascinating what science can do when enough bright minds set their collective minds to solving a problem. Unfortunately without funding, NASA has declined in volume of innovations. Thanks for the link.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one of 1,000s of ways to clean water for discharge from plating shops,metal forming and all kinds of metallic pollutants or precious metals recovery from waste streams. San Jose wastewater facility just one example. Swimming pools and even fish tanks have been using activated carbon for cleaning water. Many flocculants,reverse osmosis,electrowinning,polymers and such for capture. BUT real question is always-ECONOMIC VIABILITY. Back in the late 80s there was a HUGE rush of phoney filters and guys throwing gunny sacks fulla goat/chicken poo into creeks to catch gold hahahaha-John

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
I would think that you would have to have a seed of gold to start collecting. You would have to find what would make gold attract to itself. This being a heck of a project.. It can be done but when. Of course by that time I think gold will be the least of our wants. But it is an interesting concept because I have thought about it too.

TT

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Good John,
I've not heard the word flocculants thrown around in general garden variety conversation in quite some time, reminds me of a chap with a heavy beard eating bread and soup though it depends on what settles out in the wash. Currently miners moss is about as close as we get but no charges involved and no aggregation in solution, darn.................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good points about the viability of it I guess they'll probably do it for copper first, and any gold would be a by-product. I can't help but think that the waste from desalination could be filtered profitably some day.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The largest desaliniation plants on the planet are in Israel and Saudi Arabia. Even they can't get it done economically and man alive they've thrown BILLIONS at the concept but zilch results-John

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is over my paygrade, but I find it fascinating what science can do when enough bright minds set their collective minds to solving a problem. Unfortunately without funding, NASA has declined in volume of innovations. Thanks for the link.

I heard an interview with Buzz Aldrin on the radio today, and he said that NASA was not so much an innovator. He used the example that the miniturization of nuclear warheads was used by NASA in their space program, not the other way around. Thought that was interesting. He wrote a book about continuos round trip travel to Mars for mineral exploitation. He is pretty adamant about reusing shuttles, and stated that the trip to Mars would take 5-6 months, but the return trip was more like 22 months. Hell of a long time to spend cooped up in a craft. He also talked about linking two or three shuttles together, to use as emergency backups in case of issues. Interesting, well educated guy.

OP
OP
Alex Burke

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yeah that's a good point were ranked really low out of developed nations in math, science, pretty much everything. Every time I see a bumper sticker with "My child is an honor roll student at.." I think yeah we're in denial:)

Varun

Greenie
May 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Plating shops and electroforming a electrowinning cell could be incorporated in the rinse next to plating Tank in close loop it will capture the maximum of metal. View attachment close Loop.pdf

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread