Sniping

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been a diver for many years but always in the ocean. Thought I might try sniping(snorkeling) this summer in some of the creeks/rivers I've sluiced in the past. Any suggestions regarding equipment and technique (fins and weight belt?) I would sure appreciate...Thanks

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The successful snipers I know have boulder moving equipment and work in rapids or holes where bedrock cracks can be reached - too much overburden kills
the whole point of it. Hope this helps GL.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great fun,fanny pak with screwdriver,suction bottle,harbor freight 10" long tweezers and good to go. Work bedrock for best results. As a diver you know about them snorkels and the propensity for slurping water so be on the watch as creeks,rivers got some VERY unkind critters that's just plain tear your guts up. You'll definately become a fan of flagyl :laughing7: John

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HP, I haven't done very much, but it seems like I am always needing something else tool wise. Just last week I found a great above water level spot. Water had been dropping down falls like and the base was 5 feet up from the ground. When I finally got the cemented gravel out of the way, the bottom kept going down and down. I got nothing but knowledge out of that hole, but I'll be back someday with a suction gun. I don't have one yet...want to finish my sluice first...but here is one I like...if I don't go homemade.
X-Stream HYBRID Hand Dredge

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HP, I haven't done very much, but it seems like I am always needing something else tool wise. Just last week I found a great above water level spot. Water had been dropping down falls like and the base was 5 feet up from the ground. When I finally got the cemented gravel out of the way, the bottom kept going down and down. I got nothing but knowledge out of that hole, but I'll be back someday with a suction gun. I don't have one yet...want to finish my sluice first...but here is one I like...if I don't go homemade.
X-Stream HYBRID Hand Dredge

Don't under estimate homemade. Here's mine and the first gold I found with it.:goldpan:
11-16-12 SBEF.JPG 0923121824_0001_0001.jpg Rock Guard Offset.jpg Trap and Reducer.jpg :goldpan:
I made all the connections twist lock for easy service. After I fill the trap I just hold it over a sluice or bucket, turn it upside down and dump it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread