Debris piles

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found these debris piles in several spots at my local site. They are anywhere from 5 to 15 feet above normal water levels for this part of the river. Most are 25 to 100 feet from the river itself. I assume they are leftovers from the last BIG flood as regular flood levels do not go that far inland. I've tried several test holes behind the actual tree, in front of the tree and along side where the larger cobbles seem to have been dropped. No luck so far at all. My best color comes from the normal gold path within the river itself, or on the gravel banks at river's edge.

What is the logic of these debris piles? I can't help but believe there is gold around these things - but have not see evidence so far. If the water was pushing hard enough to carry this stuff up that high, then I would think gold would follow. Any ideas of the best place to test around these trees? Would the gold drop out before the debris - or deep within the debris itself?

IMG_0499.JPG

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have nothing concrete, but plowing ahead with guesswork! lol. There are debris piles and debris piles. The piles nearer to the powerful raging floodwater are more likely to indicate a sudden drop in velocity and the deposition of heavies. Whereas the more remote piles are the result of slow moving
muddy water gently dropping the floating debris that has left the main torrent as the flood recedes. The pic shows me that likely the pile just "settled" rather
than being rammed, crammed against the trees. Hope this makes some sense.

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm. The debris piles I see are jammed up against trees. They are packed very tightly and wrap around the tree, covering maybe 60 to 70 percent of the upstream circumference. The downstream side of the tree is free of debris and is usually a couple feet lower and free of gravel (all silt?) like it's cleaned out by whirlpool action/current. Also, right before the debris there is gravel accumulation higher than the base of the tree which then slopes down to the base of the debris. Definitely looks like current action - though it could be a slower current I guess.

I thought maybe I wasn't digging deep enough - or in the wrong spots. Maybe it is just slow moving debris which catches on the occasional tree. That whole area is one large gravel bar that has become dry land. The area was dredged completely up until the 1950's, so I figure what I'm finding is all flood gold and close to the surface. I was hoping the big floods of the late 80's, etc may have drug some better gold down there, but so far just the fine flour gold I've been seeing.

I make an effort to test a new spot every time I go out there just to make sure - but so far it looks like I'm working the best location.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will reply with a "rough quote" from Hoser John - " find the debris piles and search back up creek/general location as the heavies will be in back of the floating debris piles". Hope this helps...........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
sidvail

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, I was just reading that one too. His post gave me the idea to ask this question. :)

I'll try testing the gravel before the debris pile.

Thanks guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions