Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, when Mother Nature takes all of that bank out during a storm, it's "just the right" amount. But a few guys with shovels are raping the riparian? OMG!
When shovels are outlawed, well, you know the rest.

medic7a

Apr 30, 2013
Placerville, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its the power of the press. People will believe whatever they read or see on the news no matter what the facts are. I have seen a barrage of anti mining media in the press lately and it frustrates me to no end. I don't know the answers on how to win the fight. Maybe more of a grassroots effort on the parts of local groups/clubs of prospectors, metal detectorists. For example; simple city, oregon gold diggers club meets up on a saturday for a trash pickup day on a section of the waterway that is a commonly used area with a member of the local press and gets their picture in the paper for a feel good story with their clubs name on it. It is just an idea. But maybe if we put some good press out there to sway the misinformed we might have a fighting chance. Also please remember to pick up after yourselves. Ive passed by a couple abandoned mining camps on the river that looked like homeless camps. That is the ranting i have for the year, i just wanted to share.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you notice the last paragraph...... Try to blame it on Calif..lol typical Oregon.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good press for our hobby/addiction is good for all of us. Leaving behind a messy camp or open holes/pits is asking for trouble Especially in this day and age when we are Assumed Guilty right off before anyone even talks with us.

Historically the major mining Companies wanted more gold so they started washing the hillsides down with large monitor units. Because they did not care a lot of dirt went down stream then when they had to use holding ponds they did not make their holding ponds strong enough so the filling of the waterways with silt reached a point where affected commerce put a stop to it. We are at that same juncture but even worse as folks are flat out lying about us as well as the results of what we do, like killing innocent frogs when it is not us but them that is doing it.

Cleaning up after ourselves IS time consuming and in my case back breaking but the results are so much better than leaving a hole or trench to be filled back in by Maw Nature 6 to 8 months later by the spring floods AS by that time many people have seen the hole/trench and are sickened by it.

We need to take responsibility for what some choose to leave behind as if we do not it will only hurt All of US later on.

Be wise, be kind, be good........................63bkpkr

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The author even looks like a lib nut case not even interested in facts just fullfilling her agenda and spreading her propaganda.Works for the media and lives like a hippie.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
63bkpkr brings up a very good point. To prospect properly in this day and age, LEAVE NO TRACE! I have come across test sites left by others, test them myself of course, and then hide everything.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I probably bring home more money in aluminum cans & plastic bottles than I do gold some days. I am all for filling my holes in when I am done but if I am coming back (within the next week or so) I leave it open. A couple of years ago I worked the same hole all summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread