What is Sheriff doing?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not quite sure what to make of this. Anyone care to translate?

Sheriff strips
Forest Service of power Mountain Democrat

The US Forest Service (USFS) is a Federal organization, and their "powers of arrest" are
granted by the county they are working in. What the Sheriff has done is terminated any
prior agreement for this authority between the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office and the
USFS.

Ergo...effective on the date of termination, the USFS no longer has any authority to write citations,
make arrests or enforce ANY Calif. law within El Dorado County, CA.

The Sheriff is basically saying that they're (USFS) a bunch of boneheads and can't do the
job right, therefore he is cancelling their authority to operate within his county.

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, in theory at least, what happened to Hefty1 about USFS stealing his equipment last year, cannot happen again?

And they have no authority to enforce Ca. mining laws in the EDNF? (in El Dorado Co.)

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess the sheriff doesn't tolerate the usfs thieves

lowctoy

Jan 16, 2012
Central California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So send all your letters to the Sheriff in your county and end this B.S. What color is usfs trucks greeeeeeeeeen.................... hahahahahahahaha. Well that was easy.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
So, in theory at least, what happened to Hefty1 about USFS stealing his equipment last year, cannot happen again?

And they have no authority to enforce Ca. mining laws in the EDNF? (in El Dorado Co.)

But...I am just over the line...in Tahoe, and Placer Co.

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's putting the Forest Service in it's proper place. At least here in Lyon County Nevada, the forest service and blm people do not have the authority to write citations. According to the sections in NRS 328, the sherrif department can issue citations for improper conduct on federaly owned land. Read your state statutes to find out who has jurisdiction on federaly owned land.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem is--they can still enforce federal laws that still trump state laws by far as predicated by the supreme court. I go to the sheriff roundhouse meetings up here,2 so far. I Like what they are attempting to do-reign in a batch of power hungry idiots in the FS but feds still rule and you are tried in FEDERAL COURT and not state court--which is much worse-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread