Gold Panning for the Kiddos... gold bearing sand...

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in about a month are having an end of the summer VBS event for our youngsters at our church. It has had an old west theme... I am in charge of doing the gold panning event, I was wanting to make it as authentic as possible. I am in Texas and we don't have gold bearing sand in this area... Does anyone have any suggestions where I could get a one or two buckets full of sand to accomplish this task?

Chuck

Upvote 0

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Check on ebay they have a lot of people selling it and it is authentic you put in gold pay dirt in search

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
I've also heard that bull head creek has seen some gold don't know where you are located but you might check that out

Jessicamae3

Jun 25, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Elkie was selling some that was very reasonably priced. I ordered three pounds and my children enjoyed panning some of it. They lost a bit of interest and the rest is going with me to my classroom where my students will have a chance to try it out. It takes patience! I ordered mine on eBay. Searched Elkie and Alaskan pay dirt I believe! Super fast shipping and very nicely packaged. I know she's run into issues with government there and do not know if she is still digging anywhere and selling. But I highly recommend!

bikermike

Jul 14, 2012
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check with the GPAA. Good luck, Mike

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most cost effective is to make your own. Buy gold dust at your local prospecting store or online. Put a few pieces in each pan with some playground sand. It'll cost you about 1/3-1/2 less than buying pay dirt online...and lots of times all you really get is playground sand with flakes added anyway ;-)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there is a sister church (or theologically close relative) up in the Mother Lode area,
I might try getting ahold of the Pastor and ask him to ask his members if any
of them are prospectors, and if so do they have a gram or two of fines/flakes
they might donate to help out a like-minded church in Texas.

Ya never know, but one of them might just cough it up for you..:notworthy:

Seems Kevin has the best idea, otherwise. $60 should get you plenty of
gold to spread out in a large tub, or that you can use to salt individual
pans for them.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most cost effective is to make your own. Buy gold dust at your local prospecting store or online. Put a few pieces in each pan with some playground sand. It'll cost you about 1/3-1/2 less than buying pay dirt online...and lots of times all you really get is playground sand with flakes added anyway ;-)

Kevin nailed it!

With just dust you won't have to pay shipping on a bunch of dirt. You won't have to mess with black sand; and you can be sure no one goes away disappointed. Also, you may want to order some small plastic vials.

The kids are going to love it!

OP
OP
chukers

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for all the great ideas... I knew I could count on TNET's users for some answers!

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread