The proper equipment for harvesting Colorado placer deposits

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's actually one of the dredges form the Alma and Fairplay area. That one was disassembled and shipped to South America where it continues to operate today!! Another is the Snowstorm Dredge which is still in a gravel pit east off of hwy 9 north of Fairplay Colorado. You can see parts of it from the road, sticking up out of the pit. A group of us are trying to rescue it from oblivion and get it moved to a place of honor nearer to town!

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool-I always wanted to run one,even have plans for a 34' rig but right now I'd settle for just a lil'mo'water-John

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That Operator's cab looks more like an Air Traffic Control Tower that can change the positions of the runways just by pulling or pushing a lever!:dontknow:

Frank

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
What we all would give to have a pc of equipment like that!!!! Have piles around Folsom CA from machines like that, most people drive rt buy and never think twice about all the rounded rocks piled up three stories high. Then when you try an explain about the ancient river and the huge dredges they think your high!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hell, I would just like to follow behind it with my' White's 66-T Goldmaster Metal Detector with it's 24 1/2" coil!

Frank

Last edited:

lostcoastau

Greenie
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting those great pics Nobody. I drove through that area
last summer and looked at the piles and thought it had to be a huge piece
of machinery that made them. Colorado is not as well known for it's
bucketline dredges as some other states.
If you ever get to Alaska check out Gold Dredge 8 north of Fairbanks.
The tour is very informative about dredges and the nature of mining
in the frozen north. At the end of the tour you get to spend as much time as
you want at the panning trough. My 6 year old daughter paid for our tour
with the gold she found.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-1072667437.jpg
Here's a quick look at the Snowstorm Dredge which is just north of Fairplay CO to this day!

image-3006891493.jpg

And this is some of the sluices inside (private tour)...notice the sets of riffle bars all tossed around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread