In Los Angeles area, would like to try prospecting

Sjohnsone

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Long Beach, Ca.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all,

I'm an active duty military member stationed in Long Beach, Calif. I'm really interested in going panning (never been before) in the region and through my research I found you can go to East Fork Rd. in Azusa Canyon. I actually rode up there a while back but there were so many people that seemed so hard at work, I didn't want to bother anyone with a deluge of questions - furthermore I don't know how territorial people are and I'm not quite sure of the etiquette of just going and looking. I'd hate to upset someone by being too close to where they are working or something.

So far i've pretty much surmised I need to buy a pan and possibly a small sluice.

I'm pretty much at the starting line here and any local advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have any delusions of making thousands of dollars - I just have an interest in history and the idea of finding gold really appeals to me.

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide.

V/R,

Seth

Upvote 0

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two books; Where to Find Gold in Southern California and Mines of the San Gabriels, both are still in print and should help you get pointed in the right direction. American Prospector/Treasure Seeker in Temecula is a great place to get whatever you need and Jim will show you how to pan. He has a trough with water and pay dirt plus they also do outings(some to EF) Very good people, good luck.

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know the East Fork of the San Gabriel is a popular spot in Southern California. Here's a bit of info:

San Gabriel River - Southern California Gold Prospecting and Panning

And don't worry about having delusions of making thousands $$$, I think that's a good thing, it keeps a guy motivated. Plus every once in a while a guy can actually get lucky and do it. Good luck out there :)

OP
OP
S

Sjohnsone

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Long Beach, Ca.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome! Thanks so much for the replies guys! Thanks for the Temecula tip Hard, I'll probably be heading down there in the next few days.

My only hinderance is the only vehicle I own is a motorcycle. Luckily I do leather working, so i'm gonna get creative and build my own luggage and racks for the bike!

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
first off, thank you for your service to our country. there are many gpaa chapters in so kal. great people who will lend a helping hand. I am in so kal also, if I were going out in the near future would give an invite. however no plans at present time. hit me up if nothing comes up. highdesertranger

Chile_legacy

Sep 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey brothers I'm a Marine corps vet and let me tell you that this is the best way to relax and also to make a couple o bucks. I was diagnosed with PTSD and I found this and I love it my lil ones enjoy it too. I'm going today Friday and will camp out till Saturday afternoon you are welcome to join me bro I have all the equipment to pan and sluice. I will be at the east fork almost where it ends right before you get to the white bridge that gos to the parking I will be in a black 2013 black silverado that has a sticker on the window reads in memory of all my brothers who never returned. This invitation is for anyone that wants to hang out SEMPER Fi. U. S. M. C.

Chile_legacy

Sep 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also ride and it's still a good lil trip up the hills so not a big deal. Like I said I have extra pans and buckets. If you need to Learn I will teach you what ever I know anything for a military brother.

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey brothers I'm a Marine corps vet and let me tell you that this is the best way to relax and also to make a couple o bucks. I was diagnosed with PTSD and I found this and I love it my lil ones enjoy it too. I'm going today Friday and will camp out till Saturday afternoon you are welcome to join me bro I have all the equipment to pan and sluice. I will be at the east fork almost where it ends right before you get to the white bridge that gos to the parking I will be in a black 2013 black silverado that has a sticker on the window reads in memory of all my brothers who never returned. This invitation is for anyone that wants to hang out SEMPER Fi. U. S. M. C.

Getter done. My closest and favorite river mining area is EF, a mile past the parking lot, Heaton Flats. Found most of my gold there. Found about 1 oz collectively over the last 15 years. only have 6 grams save at the moment. Going out to Mojave tomorrow with a buddy to find more. I love desert mining too. It's a club outing. Doing dry washing and metal detecting. Everybody get out there and find that yellow metal. Have fun and be safe.:goldpan:
3rd dayCampfireMusic at PCSC 1.3.jpg 3rd dayCampfire at PCSC 1.2.jpg 3rd dayMoonrise at PCSC 1.1.jpg

Attachments

• 3rd dayCampfire at PCSC 1.2.jpg
    3rd dayCampfire at PCSC 1.2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 134

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread