goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear what you're saying Fowled. Personally I'd love to replace the genny with solar as it's silent in it's operation. Just haven't had the chance to yet. We're also about a mile off the nearest road so the sound of the generator shouldn't draw much attention in that respect. I'm worried more about lights shining at night when there's no other power working. That can be seen for a very long way out here.

I'm an independent type as well and don't like to have to rely on others if I can help it. The Army taught me very well and I pretty much live by the old Rangers saying... "We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, for the ungrateful, have done so much with so little for so long that we're now qualified to do anything with nothing at all". Granted desert training was not my main bread and butter when I was in, but operating independently is pretty much the same no matter what the terrain.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, all of you for sharing your personal perspectives and approaches to this big issue. I really appreciate it!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
all camp grounds have been taped off LMAO

Attachments

• IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 88

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well where we go there are no campgrounds. It's primitive all the way. So I reckon they'll need a couple of BIG rolls of their tape to close off those areas. ;)

From what I've seen so far, the American people are getting fed up with this bull. To prevent this from happening again in the future I propose the following law be enacted A.S.A.P.

Balanced Budget Law: Simply put, any member of the house or Congress that is in office when a shutdown like this happens again will not be allowed to run for re-election and will be barred from politics for the remainder of their life.

Now... If that don't get them off their collective duffs then we need to vote them out as they're too stupid to be running OUR country anyway!

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well Kev, In answer to your earlier question it would have to be a very dire situation to get me to shoot anyone. We have enough land here that we could easily sustain ourselves off of it. We have our own well and the house also has a generator in case the power grid fails. This in its own way could be our downfall as we're set pretty well. This makes us a prime target for those that are not prepped for when it hits the fan. As far as tossing lead or arrows in someones direction goes there are a lot of variables to consider.

1. Do we know them (IE: one of the neighbors or other friends)
2. Are they trying to break into one of the buildings here? (Shop, House, well house)
3. Are they armed themselves? Negative "Brownie points" if they are and we don't know them already.
4. What are their numbers? Single individuals are a lot easier to deal with than mobs of people
5. What is OUR current situation on supplies? Do we have enough to share?
6. Does this person have usable skills that could benefit the group here or not?

Like I said... A LOT of variables to be considered here. One thing that will get you shot quicker than anything else is to try to harm one of the family members provided the dogs don't have you for lunch first. They're VERY protective. Like we used to say when playing Dungeons & Dragons... INSTANT DEATH... No saving throw.

double car style mufflers in series and heavy dark curtains along good light discipline will handle 99% of the problems

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Food for thought

:laughing7:

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 100

Wampus

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Love this! Like to see every member of the House, Senate, and White House that thinks we don't have a spending problem explain that away!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
If you have a fairly steep creek nearby, get a Pelton Wheel generator!

They provide DC electricity, which you convert with a Delco Remy generator to provide AC current, and that can go to a series of 12 volt batteries to store the juice. That, with a backup of solar panels will run a whole cabin easily!

I was good buds with Don Harris, out of Davenport, CA, who lived in the woods and used to build those systems. He had a Clivus Multrum for a crapper underneath his cabin, which is a dry compost bin is what it is.

Don redesigned the Pelton Wheel, for maximum efficiency, and retired about 3-4 years ago. There are dealers who will sell them to you, and even install them.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Subject: Consider this!

Had not thought about this. Isn’t it amazing? Add to all of this that the Government managed to have plenty of manpower to in some cases enforce the closure of US monuments and parks at the point of a gun? But it is all Bush’s fault. Read on anyway……………………………..

Sleep well tonight your elected officials are looking out for you!

FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH, THE WRITER OF THE BELOW CERTAINLY KNOWS WHAT HE’S TALKING ABOUT! I WAS IN PROCUREMENT FOR 30 YEARS AND WAS PURCHASING UNDER ARMED SERVICES PROCUREMENT REGULATIONS (ASPR)!

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 12:46:52 -0700 Did anyone besides me wonder how they got all those signs printed and distributed far and wide, including to all the national parks and cemeteries overseas only eight to ten hours after the government shut down? Take a look at this from someone who wanted to remain anonymous.

I have worked in the government on and off for 40 years. During that time I became quite familiar with requisitions, bidding, awarding contracts etc. It is a time consuming process with bean-counters and pencil-necked bureaucrats every step of the way. The simplest request takes months not days or hours.

In less than 8 hours of the shutdown, miraculously, professionally printed 3X4 foot signs appeared all over the country in the tens of thousands saying-“this [park, facility, etc. with custom logos] closed due to government shutdown. There has not been a government shutdown in 17 years. These signs were designed, specifications were determined, signs were then requisitioned, bids were posted and vetted, government contracts were awarded. The materials were then ordered and the signs manufactured then distributed U.S. Mails or freight companies.

This shutdown was orchestrated and planned well in advance at least 6-8 months ago. Millions of tax dollars were appropriated and spent in this process. There is a paper trail a mile long leading directly to the White House. Surprise, surprise..."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread