October Gold - Hematite With Gold

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always said.... every time we see hematite show up in plenty, we find good / bigger gold.
We are seeing a BUNCH of hematite with gold either compressed onto it, or slightly impregnated into it.
Need to start warning people that get our cons to look at all the hematite.
Some of the pieces have quite a bit.

575664_553167751404002_1746815674_n.jpg

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very cool!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Gold wears an Iron hat, I like Gold rides iron horse better !

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try and grab a few more and shoot some of them.
I had about 20 with lots of gold on them / in them.
Put them back into the cons.
I'll shoot them under the scope as well.
Doc

firesteel

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started a thread on hematite. I found an area with a great deal of it, and also magnetite, on top and under the ground. (Actually my grandson found it while playing outside with a magnet. I read up on it and learned it can be associated w gold, so I did some digging and panning.) Brought some of the stones to a gem shop and was told it is hematite. I also found some magnetically reactive black crystals which I presume to be magnetite. I also found some crystal which one gemologist said was garnet, another said it was limonite. When I pan, I am left with a lot of black fines which are also magnetically reactive. This is consistent through the topsoil and down into the clay. What's the best way to determine if gold is present? I have access to tap water, and panning takes a long time, not to mention I'm a complete novice.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just started a thread on hematite. I found an area with a great deal of it, and also magnetite, on top and under the ground. (Actually my grandson found it while playing outside with a magnet. I read up on it and learned it can be associated w gold, so I did some digging and panning.) Brought some of the stones to a gem shop and was told it is hematite. I also found some magnetically reactive black crystals which I presume to be magnetite. I also found some crystal which one gemologist said was garnet, another said it was limonite. When I pan, I am left with a lot of black fines which are also magnetically reactive. This is consistent through the topsoil and down into the clay. What's the best way to determine if gold is present? I have access to tap water, and panning takes a long time, not to mention I'm a complete novice.

Yep. Iron minerals and gold are peas in a pod. :)

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought I had myself some hematite yesterday, with my gold... so I crushed it and nope, I got snookered! I wish I had your cons doc.:laughing7:

Kings gold

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi goldhog Im finding hermatite very much with what i understand is pyrite too)
Do you think I should carry on with looking for gold in the area ?? image.jpg

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pics Doc! Back in South Dakota in one of the creeks I mined in there was alot of hemitite. Usually pieces no bigger than a pencil eraser and smaller but when you sampled and found many that was a good indicator to set up you op close by. Bigger pieces usually meant bigger gold as well. Never did find any with gold on them though. Pretty cool.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi goldhog Im finding hermatite very much with what i understand is pyrite too)
Do you think I should carry on with looking for gold in the area ?? View attachment 1142022

If you found these while panning then IF there is placer gold in the area you would likely have found some of it in the pan too. If you just picked these up then maybe you should try some test panning in the area especially in likely places such as streambeds or other drainages. In either case I would at least do some test panning but would not waste my time if I did not at least find some color after sampling several or many different likely spots.

Good luck.

Kings gold

Greenie
Mar 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers arizua!! I will be out soon to take some samples these I just took out of the stream exciting stuff prospecting!!:occasion14

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread