Dug and unwashed out of ground today.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Todays find 015.JPG Todays find 014.JPG Todays find 009.JPG Todays find 008.JPG Todays find 007.JPG Todays find 006.JPG Todays find 005.JPG Found these rocks in a quartz vein today. Haven't even washed them yet. Any ideas? Maybe I should grind them up. Todays find 001.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Defiantly crush and find out whats in them.I would.
Do you have a Gold metal detector,or any metal detector?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Before ya start crushing them all up I'd get them all cleaned up and then only crush up the smallest of the pieces at first. I'm seeing a lot of rust staining in the matrix which tells me it's got a high iron content. Soak the pieces in Super Iron Out which you can pick up at Wally-World or Ace hardware to remove as much of the staining as you can. SIO won't hurt gold at all so don't worry about that. Pieces that size can get you more money than plain old gold will because it's still in matrix and will make for some nice specimens.

OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks GoldenIrishman. I did a streak test and the color was yellow with a shine and could see with a magnifying glass in the streak looked like little gold pieces and some little clear pieces but I could tell the difference between them. As the rocks are not cleaned there could have been some pyrite or quartz falling off of the rock but the color of the mark was yellow with a shine.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Streak testing is good to do as it will eliminate things it CAN'T be. Get them cleaned up and post some after cleaning pictures! I'm sure that many here would love to see how they come out. Gold is nice but I for one love seeing it still in the matrix.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread