goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well as to what it is would depend on your area. There are a LOT of different materials it could be and without a picture it's hard to say.

Gold is going to "Travel" with materials that are close to it in size and weight. When you pan you're actually sorting the materials by specific gravity (S.G.) Lighter materials are going to work their way to the top while heavier ones sink to the bottom. Gold having a S.G. of a little over 19 is going to sink fast. There are other materials that have a S.G. that is almost as heavy so they are going to be right on the bottom with the gold.

Think of it this way... Water has a S.G. of ZERO Materials with a S.G. higher are going to sink in water while those with negative S.G. numbers will float on the top. Gold at 19 will weigh 19X what the same amount of water will so it sinks fast.

It's the same thing in a stream or river. The larger the gold the more water flow is required for it to move. Shape and size also come into play as well. A flake with a weight of say 2 grains is going to move easier than a small nugget of the same weight due to a larger surface area to catch more of the water.

OP
OP
C

cjg20232

Greenie
Oct 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now I think an look at it im guessing its lead im around the Missoula Montana area western side of the rocky mountains

OP
OP
C

cjg20232

Greenie
Oct 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you think lead being somewhat heavy.( I know not as heavy as gold).would follow gold if im finding lead you think gold is close buy?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
do you think lead being somewhat heavy.( I know not as heavy as gold).
would follow gold if im finding lead you think gold is close buy?

Unfortunately, the lead being present doesn't mean there will be any
gold there. Black sand (magnetite, etc.) is generally present when you
find gold, but when you find black sand it doesn't always mean the same
aggregate material contains gold.

On the plus side, if you're keeping the lead in the pan right to the
end then you're panning correctly, and shouldn't lose any gold if
it is present.

OP
OP
C

cjg20232

Greenie
Oct 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found gold also along with the black sand and lead pieces.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems that you've answered our own question there CJG. I've found gold and lead in the same pan but like Dizzy said "lead being present doesn't mean there will be any gold there". BUT if there is gold there as well as shooters both could be in your pan.

If you don't have any use for the lead dispose of it safely. I also build and fly R/C sailplanes so I've always got a use for lead.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions