claim

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
always ,go to the claim ,verify corners, verify gold do a lil testing , go to local blm or forestry office and verify claim numbers,if seller refuses any of this ,or doesnt have paper work,walk away. otherwise get it while you can, gov land grabs are in full swing.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also before you buy ,dig up what ever history of claim you can get,try to get an idea of what was done there already, this will greatly aid you in search if choose to buy.tax records, blm web site,forestry.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you are buying from a miner who has actually worked the claim. There are too many crooked realators and others who file on land they just drove by and snapped a few pictures of and make all kinds of claims of gold on the claim and it has never been tested. They will cross file on existing claims. While they may have the proper paperwork the claim is worthless because the first claim of record is the valid one. or they will file one land with no access except accross private land or will file on worthless land or even private land. I have seen all of these happen here. If the seller is a miner find out why they are selling. Health, moving away or what ever. Ask to spend a few days testing and only on sites you pick not his. If he refuses run. Check paperwork with the BLM and the county seat where it is located. That will give you the history of the claim and age. Don't look for tax records as there are no property taxes on unpatented mining claims so they won't help you. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i got some good gold on clear creek many years ago, less than two miles from the road it turns into private land if the claim is on the creek you will have to access it by traveling the creek. the next creek over cache creek has good gold also, but it was all private and claimed up last time i was there

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a Colorado prospector I want you to be cautious here. A big chunk of clear creek in Clear Creek County is upstream of the gold deposits and is barren. Some other parts have been moved/relocated to allow the road to come thru and may be the gold is mostly under the road now. As said above, only buy what you have tested yourself! Also know that just downstream in Jefferson county, big chunks of the creek are open to prospecting, including 4"dredges(!) and are not claimable due to being owned by the county. You don't need a claim to have fun and get gold in Clear Creek!

Edit: also further downstream (just below the Coors Brewery) there is a public gold prospecting park...all are welcome, no fees either. There are rules, mostly obvious stuff although they do not allow engines (battery powered motors are ok tho).

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been considerable changes as to who,what and where in Colorado in relation to mining. Go to GoldDredger.com and that colorado forum,Leonards, can and will get you instantly the info you seek. Buying ANY claim anywhere is dicey as congress and the stinkn' supreme court rulings this year have undermined all our rights considerable,jacked up costs and new regs up the wazoooooo- ERR on the side a caution as even the GPAA can't even dredge or mine many claims there-John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There have been considerable changes as to who,what and where in Colorado in relation to mining. Go to GoldDredger.com and that colorado forum,Leonards, can and will get you instantly the info you seek. Buying ANY claim anywhere is dicey as congress and the stinkn' supreme court rulings this year have undermined all our rights considerable,jacked up costs and new regs up the wazoooooo- ERR on the side a caution as even the GPAA can't even dredge or mine many claims there-John

The GPAA chose not to do the paperwork to allow association claim dredging on the Arkansas River although others did the paperwork and are dredging. That said, most people agree the GPAA claims in CO are mediocre at best. Some of their local chapters have made such a mess of public areas that the authorities shut them down. Lots and lots of places to dredge on a Mining Claim in CO. No state level changes.

Still, HJ is right, you have to be careful of bum claims being sold to gold crazy newbies just like 150 years ago!

HoserJohn, what has congress or the Supreme Court done this past year or so to hurt us, I must have missed that??

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a Colorado prospector I want you to be cautious here. A big chunk of clear creek in Clear Creek County is upstream of the gold deposits and is barren. Some other parts have been moved/relocated to allow the road to come thru and may be the gold is mostly under the road now. As said above, only buy what you have tested yourself! Also know that just downstream in Jefferson county, big chunks of the creek are open to prospecting, including 4"dredges(!) and are not claimable due to being owned by the county. You don't need a claim to have fun and get gold in Clear Creek! Edit: also further downstream (just below the Coors Brewery) there is a public gold prospecting park...all are welcome, no fees either. There are rules, mostly obvious stuff although they do not allow engines (battery powered motors are ok tho).

Great info!

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i mentioned tax records because they are useful if there ever was a comercial mine, if so ,you can see what production was reported,time periods , how many employed and the like.any info is good info in my book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread