found wierd rock/metal something ?

underworld

Oct 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dug this up.... showed up at 49.5 on my whites/ pulltab/large ring range ..no idea what she is...but hoping.....anyone ever see gold deposited like this??....weight is approx 5.4 lbs and fits in the palm of my hand ,non- magnetic
5_zpsa99cd25b.jpg

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure if this would be the right thing to do but you could dip it in a portion of hydrochloric acid to bring out any outstanding minerals. If you do, make sure wash/rinse it off really good.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting. Looks like slag. Would be out-freakin-standing if it were a meteorite! Keep us posted

gimper

Jul 25, 2013
Illinois far from Chicago
Detector(s) used
CZ-6, White's Eagle 1(both broken) Compass X-100 and no pen to point (why waste batteries)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pretty big chunk of slag?one thing is for sure it has had a considerable amount of heat put to it. nickel metorite ?

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need more clues on location, if you feel comfortable doing that, be nice to know the geology of the area concerned. State and county. Seems to me if meteorite would be highly magnetic usually. My 2 cents worth.

johnnysau

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

underworld

Oct 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found on a farm in california, after talking today with the original owner of the property.. a friend of his (long since deceased ) did some traveling back in the late thirties early forties and brought this and a fair amount of other unusual rocks back to this farm with him whenever he went traveling about.... this like the others ended up scattered all over the farm over the past 60 some years.
I've ask the owner if he knew where his friend had gone when he traveled , he couldnt remember exactly and in his raspy 88 yr old voice says---- I think it was north ,nooo maybe south----- hell i cant remember ---my memory isnt what it used to be ( i didnt press the issue).
A long shot? maybe it's possible some of the other rocks ? ive picked up on this farm are unique to a certain area and might help with location..(.I'll try and get pics of a few other rock specimens an post them...if anybodies interested

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread