Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: SHOP VACS FOR MINING

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    273 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

SHOP VACS FOR MINING

I have a claim that is an old hydraulic mine, it has very good bedrock with about a foot of overburden on it in most places. I have located two different spots where there high pressure water washed the overburden to the sluice box. I have tested the overburden all the way down to bedrock and have color throughout all the way to bedrock. There is no way to get water up to this location so I have been thinking of using a large shop vac and my generator to start cleaning off the bedrock in the area's I have tested. I would some how set up the shop vac so it would be in the back of my truck, I would keep dumping it until I have a pretty good load then go down to a holding pond that is at the other end of the claim where I could run it through my trommel. I am looking for ideas for the shop vac part of it because I'm sure there are some great ideas out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2776.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	893627   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2778.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	893628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2780.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	893629  

us
    This is work! It ain't no hobby!

Feb 2013
    Douglas, AZ
    Loaner MineLab X-Terra 705 Gold Pak
    982 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    What about setting it up so you have a section of flex hose on each end with PVC in the middle to prevent it from collapsing over a longer distance? Flex from the vac in the truck to the PVC then back to flex at the working end. I'd also put something over the working end to prevent large rocks from clogging you up. Make the screen removable so you can add a crevice tool for cleaning out the cracks in the bedrock.

As far as the actual vac goes... Get the most heavy duty one you can get your hands on! It might be pricey at first but it will pay for itself in the long run. Lowes carries a 16 gallon / 6.5 HP one for about $180.00

since most shop vacs have a filter and as we all know filters like to clog up when hit with fine dust (something i'm pretty sure you're going to be sucking up) Take a regular vag bag and place it over the filter. Hold it in place with rubber bands. Every time you dump the vac, take the bag off and shake it out really good before you put it all back together. That will help save your main filter and keep the suction up over the long haul.
    Last edited by goldenIrishman; Nov 04, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
    "Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope!!!" I'm going to complain no matter what kind of rope they use!!!!!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of that knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

us
    Nov 2008
    Pikes Peak
    Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
    449 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    In my younger years , I vacuumed alot of gold off of a false caliche bedrock in New Mexico, it worked great ,would then take the dirt back to run through a drywasher and then a camel. I dont know if you can still find/buy one ,but we had a backpack shopvac with a 5 gallon bucket attached to it,we would throw it on and vac right up the drywash. Good luck !!

Nov 2013
    13 times
    I use this little guy and just dump the contents into a 5 gallon bucket. They take the standard Dewalt rechargeable batteries so if you have a couple of batteries you can swap out while one is charging.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dewalt-DC515K-Cordless-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Kit.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	893700
    wingmaster likes this.

us
    This is work! It ain't no hobby!

Feb 2013
    Douglas, AZ
    Loaner MineLab X-Terra 705 Gold Pak
    982 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    I'm not sure, but I think jog had something a bit more "Industrial" in mind.
    "Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope!!!" I'm going to complain no matter what kind of rope they use!!!!!

"Those that make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" John F. Kennedy

When I joined the Army I took an oath to protect this country from enemies both foreign and domestic. To the best of that knowledge I've never been relieved of that oath and will continue to follow it to the best of my ability.

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    273 times
    Thanks for the great suggestions, and yes I am thinking of moving a lot of material. A lot will be done with pick and shovel but it's the last few inches and those cracks that I really want to get. What happens if you were to run one without the filter? Also I can put my truck right on top of anything I want to do so getting close is not an issue.

us
    Feb 2012
    Prather CA
    Whites GMT
    1477 times
    Finding GOLD
    Could you doze the overburden into piles and then use the vac to work the bedrock. Once you highgrade the area, you would always have the piles to either haul out and run, or drywash, or recirculate. Just a thought as I have no idea how big a area you are working.
    "The most inspiring thing about gold, is not the value, but under magnification, the true beauty of each piece. They are truly like snowflakes that never melt." Oakview2

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    273 times
    This is the area that I will be starting on, I would like to clean everything back to th face on the left of the pic.

Name:	IMG_2763.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	893849  

us
    Cpt. Herb Bussell

Dec 2012
    29 palms Calif
    fisher gold bug
    605 times
    Prospecting
    Looks like a great spot to drywash.
    GT..........

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    273 times
    I have never dry washed before but I've seen it done, the dirt at this site feels and looks like volcanic ash so maybe that would work? I am hoping to bring in a mini excavator to help get me back to the old channel gravel.

Name:	IMG_2784.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	893873  

Charter Member
    us
    Crevice Vac, Royal Gold Drywasher, Royal 18" Pick, Miller Table, Blue Bowl-Fossickers Fine Gold Recovery System, 12" Custom Gas Powered Trommel, Google Earth, and so much more that my wife does not know about, LOL.

Sep 2012
    Have Lived My Entire Life In Southern Arizona, 57 Years
    Gold Bug Pro With 5" and Elliptical 5" x 10" Coils, Sun-Ray Gold Pro Headphones.
    1060 times
    Prospecting
    Drywashing the soil needs to be dry. Looks somewhat damp and with winter coming on drywashing will not work.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW TO VIEW THE VIDEOS OR THREAD PAGES

Build Your Own Blue Bowl Recovery System - Build Your Own Crevice Vac / Blower - Build Your Own Trommel - Build You Own Miller Table

us
    Feb 2012
    Prather CA
    Whites GMT
    1477 times
    Finding GOLD
    Looks like a great claim, good luck and good hunting. I forgot you were in Oregon, so the soil will probably not dry out enough to drywash....
    "The most inspiring thing about gold, is not the value, but under magnification, the true beauty of each piece. They are truly like snowflakes that never melt." Oakview2

us
    Cpt. Herb Bussell

Dec 2012
    29 palms Calif
    fisher gold bug
    605 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jog View Post
    I have never dry washed before but I've seen it done, the dirt at this site feels and looks like volcanic ash so maybe that would work? I am hoping to bring in a mini excavator to help get me back to the old channel gravel.
    if its not real moist you can make row piles dry it out, and run your material twice that's what I do.
    if your gold is heavy, it should drop out no problem.
    They are fun little tools and its always worth a try...

Cpt Herbs Desert prospecting tips.
    Last edited by gold tramp; Nov 04, 2013 at 08:49 PM.

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    625 times
    When using a vac go as short as you can for two reasons. First the shorter the suction hose, say no longer than 6 ft the better the suction will be. Too long and you will build up static electricity if there is fine dust being vaced up. Also never use PVC in a vac operation. The static will build up in it to the point that the PVC could explode. I have seen it happen and I have also seen where the static jumped from the PVC and hit a fellow and knocked him out. Not a good system to use. Gounding doesn't help much either.
    Nice Looking claim Jog. Looks like real good material. I also have a former Hydro claim. Nice not having too far to bedrock.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector
    gold tramp, Jeff95531 and 63bkpkr like this.

jog
    us
    jog

Nov 2008
    Tillamook Oregon
    Whites MXT / GMT
    273 times
    I think my best bet is to pick up the material and clean the bedrock real good, then haul it down to the pond where I will use my trommel. Does anyone know if running a shop vac without the filter will cause gold to be lost?
    It's about a half mile drive down off the high bench to the pond at the other end of the claim. Here is a pic looking down to the pond from the high bench.

Name:	IMG_2787.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	893967  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors