Oyster cans

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Any of youall ever use old oyster cans as an indicator of where to find good gold.
Im always on the look out for these as the oldtimers would celebrate a good discovery by feasting on oysters I think they believed it was good luck.
If I find this I know im in an area that had a good find and I start looking real hard in the area, and almost always find some gold.
GT.............

Cpt Herbs Desert Prospecting tips

Last edited:
Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds logical,what ever works man,like the bud light commercials ,(its only wierd if doesnt work)! first i ever heard of hunting for oysters in the mountains!hope you find a lot !

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unique Things Tell Stories

gold tramp, very interesting bit of 'technology' there. I'd have never thought of that but I wonder if it is a soCal phenomenon or if you've noticed this in other parts of the state or in other states? Many years ago, before I acquired any common sense but even now only a tiny bit, I came across a sort of open area, something between a ridge line and a clearing, that was littered with large champagne bottles, all turning dark purple from being out in the sun for so long. I'd say they had quite a celebration, I bet I could of found some oyster cans there as well...................63bkpkr

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oysters and Champagne don't mix well. The odd blend will turn a "2" into a "10"
much faster than just Champagne alone. (and please, don't make me
explain how I came across this tidbit of wisdom.)
green.gif

juneaupanner

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id assume if you found an oyster can on the surface it likely traveled a ways before you found it. Id imagine that if you were to find one in its original place it may be below 6 or so inches of debris after 100 plus years.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think its more for the dryer climates Herb, and I have only found them in 1800 camps here in our area, I only have worked this district, so far. when I do find them its been near a really good dig site with good values, so we use it !

JP, we are in a very dry desert here and find many camps that are just as they were left, minus the bottles.
Some are buried but we find many that are all surface with cans n trash in place, one would be very surprised at the shape of the cans we find out here that are over 100 years old.

Thanks for your intrest guys
Gt..............

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tons in the dredge fields south of Folsom at Mississippi Bar

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id assume if you found an oyster can on the surface it likely traveled a ways before you found it. Id imagine that if you were to find one in its original place it may be below 6 or so inches of debris after 100 plus years.
........not true a all..........I can take you to countless places cans are right where they were set 160 years ago

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........not true a all..........I can take you to countless places cans are right where they were set 160 years ago
Excellent!! We'd all love to see your old drinking haunts! :tongue3:

Last edited:

juneaupanner

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger I am positive that both of us are correct under different circumstances and situations. For instance I eat where I want to where I need to and when I want to. Im sure certain people may have celebrated in different ways. Like I said tho its more than likely that we both are correct.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oysters, champagne, girls of the night, gamboling away your poke - these were all ways to celebrate a "strike", according to historical diaries and such. Good
observations, gold tramp. :icon_thumleft:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger I am positive that both of us are correct under different circumstances and situations. For instance I eat where I want to where I need to and when I want to. Im sure certain people may have celebrated in different ways. Like I said tho its more than likely that we both are correct.

...likely correct,but the depth something is has nothing to do with how old said item may be,or how long its been there........I have dug Reals that date to the 1700's 1",and Budweiser beer cans several feet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread