Sore back recovery tips?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like alot of sore backs around here! I have to take it easy with than new bazooka sluice!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get an Ab-Wheel. Strong core strong back.

But seriously, the best cure for old prospector's back is to see gold winking at you on the Assayer's mat.

cwwj123

Feb 15, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well sometimes I'm lucky enough to have my fiancee with me and she's a massage therapist and the second person I bring is Mary Jane. Other than those two, not too much else.

68Shelby

Greenie
Sep 12, 2013
Mud Flat
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same problem 12 days ago. I was using heat on my back and getting nowhere until I started icing it. That did the trick. Also using one of those inflatable exercise balls to stretch and do more core abdominal and back exercises helped a lot.

Gold's Gym Fitness Ball - Walmart.com

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, ice is great..reduces inflammation which presses. on the nerves..

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I screwed up BIGTIME this year and put a heating pad on torn/stressed lower back and about ruined my lower back. Stupid ol'man had my head in the wrong place that night. ICE was the answer but been soooooooo long since I tore anything I plain ol'forgot. No fun as still wearing back brace during mining BUT stop hahahahaha NO-John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
John get that back workable soon and come out to Wyoming and Leonard and i have something to drink thatll cure what ails you!:) ill bring extra if youll come out! but im sure 1 or two sips will get you rockin!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New tip learned yesterday. DO NOT try roller skating at your daughters b-day party for the first time at. age 36.. ..I only went down twice even though I skated for 2 hours,but my body says twice was enough.:tongue3:.....made me realize how much I miss snowboarding and skiing....and that wood hurts more than snow. 800 mg Ibuprofin are my friend for sure.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Try Epsom salts in your tub! Tried and true stuff. Yes, you can use it in your spa too.

Doing stretching yoga is great in the hot tub, and a fine nekked babe makes it even better!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my Goldwasher, crashes into the board floor are not good. Last time I was out rollerskating was ~ 2003, I got up some good speed, had a great time and never went down during my two hours of play. Not bragging just pleased! I was good and tired that night.

Ok, Sore Back OR sore muscles 'most'anywhere -

From the hips to the neck zone: Tennis ball between you and a rough tectured wall or a carpeted floor. The wall is a gentler massage while the floor is a severe massage as your full body weight is coming down on the ball forcing it deeply into those inflamed muscles. BE CAREFUL using the floor method!!!!!!! It takes a lot of dropped tennis balls to learn how to do the wall/ball/back method but the rougher the texture of the wall the easier it will be to keep the ball there. This works, I've used it many times myself, simple, easy, low cost but noticeable when you are using it around others.

Electrical Methods: Tens Machines or EMS machines (anywhere on the body but not the head and be careful on the spine!)

As far as I am concerned these are both electrical impulse machines (thats electrical shock treatment). They have different frequency values but both work. The analog units are physical dials and switches while the digital units have memories and you push buttons to scroll and choose from a menu. I have both types and I prefer the analog unit as the one I have allows the user to choose the amount of time between 30 min, 60 min or constant (on till the user shuts it off or the battery runs out)

Either the analog or digital can be personal units meaning they are easily carried around in a pocket or clipped to a belt. (I found the clip on mine broke easily but no big deal I just keep it in a pocket, loose pants are preferred over stretch and cling pants)

The electrical units require Electrodes or Pads to transmit the electrical impulse to the skin. There are plain gel pads and powdered carbon/silver filled gel pads. I find the plain gel pads Tend to not transmit the electrical energy uniformly and can arc much easier than the carbon/silver filled pads. And of course the carbon/silver filled pads cost more.

The pads are reusable. The gel of either pad absorbs body moisture, too much moisture and the gel will not hold together so NO Heavy Sweating while using the pads!! IF you should sin and really sweat then Either type of electrode/pad will shock the snot out of you!! Trust me on this!!!!! The pads have a "use by date" on them, mine are dated to expire in 2010. What happens is the moisture stored in the pads evaporates and if they are allowed to get fairly dry then they are dead. Add a little distilled water to them from time to time and they are good for a long time.

The analog unit I have is the 85-10 Analog Tens Unit and current catalog price for it is $50.00 It is a "two channel" unit that uses two double wire cables with two pads for each cable connected to the negative and positive contacts.

The digital EMS (Electro Muscle Stimulator) unit I have cost a LOT more than the analog unit and as far as I am concerned, in this case, going digital is not better than the analog. The analog settings are just straight forward: turn it on to the lowest energy setting (voltage), adjust the width, adjust the rate, set the timer, set it on one of the three modes and adjust the Amount of energy to suit the user (experiment on yourself to see what feels good to you but keep the voltage down low). One does not need to have the muscles doing contortions actually this is NOT advisable as the heavy contortions can/will hurt you, all that is needed is a gentle stimulation of the muscles and the machines will do the Massaging for you. While you are at it, purchase an extra set of two cables for either unit.

Under severe conditions one can go to sleep with the units running, just use some "friendly to humans tape" to hold the lead ends from being tugged and go to sleep, laying down or in a recliner. I have used it that way and it has worked fine for me. And it does work! Analog or Digital. {If you really want to be manly about it then go ahead and use Gorilla Tape but you won't be happy}

I purchased the 85-10 and Carbon/Silver Filled Electrodes (pads)from:

Physical Enterprise, Inc.
170 Eastman Meadows
Petaluma, CA 94952

866-568-0133
physicalenterprise.com
I dealt with a Mr. Graham A. Degan

They have been known to have special offers, if you purchase a large quantity of electrode pads then the 85-10 is yours at no charge.

The electrode pads come in: 2" x 2" Square (what I like) 1.875" x 3.75" Rectangular
2" Round 3" Round

The "White Flower Oil", an Analgesic Balm, penetrates and helps As Long As One Does Not Get It On Sensitive Skin or in the Eyes - that is a No No! Available at most Asian grocery stores and likely on line.

DSCN0146.JPG The grey one is the 85-10, the white is the EMS HT326L. Choose to not overwork your body and hurt yourself or as you know you will not like yourself. Guess why I have all this stuff????.....................................63bkpkr

AND - just to help in general take a look at this book: "Anatomy of Stretching" by Craig Ramsay, Thunder Bay Press,
ISBN-13:978-1-60710-398-1, ISBN - 10: 1-60710-398-2

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got it Heb,start EMS on tuesday-GOOD technology saved both elbows(and pt) and definately impressed. Ultrasound DONE PROPERLY sure helps too as breaks down scartissue from building up and freezing joint. Glad ya healed up and going out to gods country again,muckalucks required pretty quick though as snow and rain a comn' today they say and say and say...hahaha-where??John

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
I screwed up BIGTIME this year and put a heating pad on torn/stressed lower back and about ruined my lower back. Stupid ol'man had my head in the wrong place that night. ICE was the answer but been soooooooo long since I tore anything I plain ol'forgot. No fun as still wearing back brace during mining BUT stop hahahahaha NO-John

Never put heat on jonnnnnmy boy! It's already inflamed... Why put more heat!?! :(

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
You got it Heb,start EMS on tuesday-GOOD technology saved both elbows(and pt) and definately impressed. Ultrasound DONE PROPERLY sure helps too as breaks down scartissue from building up and freezing joint. Glad ya healed up and going out to gods country again,muckalucks required pretty quick though as snow and rain a comn' today they say and say and say...hahaha-where??John

Had EMS once in my back, and sent me to the ER. Not for me! Be careful with stimulation on damaged nerves. Core strength.. Only way to build your back up. Start with your tummy jonnnnnmy boy!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Core Strength is the basic MUST DO! Done properly electro muscle stimulaiton is helpful, hence my cautions in my note. It needs to be used on the right places, head or spine are extremely touchy locations, and used properly as too much of a good thing is always bad for us be it pumpkin pie or EMS!

Sorry to hear you had a bad time with it!...........................63bkpkr

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Core Strength is the basic MUST DO! Done properly electro muscle stimulaiton is helpful, hence my cautions in my note. It needs to be used on the right places, head or spine are extremely touchy locations, and used properly as too much of a good thing is always bad for us be it pumpkin pie or EMS! Sorry to hear you had a bad time with it!...........................63bkpkr

Much respect to u still climbing those mountains.. There's a new beautiful view just across the next ridge... Always... :). Atta boy bkpkr

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plenty of good top shelf tequila and a box of goody powders.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread