Headed to Nome

GoldenArrow

Dec 10, 2013
Portland, OR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well howdy folks,

I have found this forum very helpful. I am a teacher and looking to try my hand in Nome this summer. Offshore dredging. I plan to be in the 570 acre recreational areas the first year until I have the lay of the land and can make a deal with a claim owner. I don't need to make money the first year, but I can't afford to lose much either.

Does people have opinion on these listings I see on ebay and craigslist for offshore gold dredges and claims?

Any other Nome advice would be most welcome.

Doug. :goldpan:

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you have experience diving?
How about running a dredge? (In a local stream perhaps at least)
How about maneuvering a boat?
How about doing mechanical repairs in the field?
How about adjusting a sluice to be efficient?
How about panning out you sluice concentrates, got good panning skills?

If yes to all the above you might be ready to go Bering sea diving...

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 rule a mining=is a fool and his money are soon parted. Stick to the lower 48 as 1/10th the cost,1/4 the hastles, 10X warmer and dollar for dollar and hour for hour MUCH more profitable, enjoyable and add in 10X more requirements than stated above even. Good place to die the Bering sea is for noobs and even experienced miners leave quick-John

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would suggest getting or building a 4'' dredge, and get your gear together, then take a trip, not so far from home,to see if it all sits well with ya,there are good gold fields ,not so exspensive to get to,not far at all from you, just be sure to leave or. as the libs have successfully taken some of your libertys there, just saying ,you might want to take a trial run for several weeks a lil closer home, and if still dead set on going, sell your 4'', and good luck to you!

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beware of what you buy on Craig's List. Be sure you know there is gold on the property you buy.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some good advice so far. I know it looks great on TV when they hit those rich streaks, but as anyone that's been at it a while can tell you, it's lots of ongoing, hard work. Add to that working in the ocean with a dredge, and you're adding some very dangerous conditions to boot. Dredging all by itself has its own list of dangers (in a river).

So, I'd try it out as others have suggested, or just head up to Nome and try panning on the beach for starters before you jump into a major investment, just so you can get the lay of the land, meet some locals, and see what it's really like up there.

I've been there. Things are expensive. Even in the summer, the weather can be wildly unpredictable.

You'll find great people and nasty people in Nome and area just like everywhere, but you'll be far, far from help and home if anything goes wrong. You either fly in to Nome, or you go by boat, and that's it!

You could do a trip with the GPAA and then at least you'd have an organization to take care of you while you're there.

Alaska is drop-dead beautiful, but it's still very, very wild, especially around Nome.

All the best,

Lanny

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Hoser, Russau and Lanny, if you must go, get a job with one of the ocean dredgers first to see what is in store for you if you still want to do this!!

Having a lot of diving experience would be a must, IMHO, even with the experience diving in the ocean has a lot of different risks than that of fresh water diving, and diving in cold arctic ocean waters will add another dimension of danger while diving, many of experienced Bearing Sea divers have lost their lives up there dredging!!!

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lookie here I have this friend Scott Meisterheimer. Just find him and he'll provide anything you need. He's a great guy.

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, what they said. Get a job, spend no money that you can't afford to not get back. Check out my guide (I'm assuming I'm allowed to post this link)

How to Start Offshore Dredging in Nome

As for this:
many of experienced Bearing Sea divers have lost their lives up there dredging!!!
Not true. The two people that died dredging offshore had less than 10 hours experience offshore dredging. I think one was on his first dive, and the other, on one of his first dives. I had met them both, both were tough old guys. One was a hunting guide and book author; the other was an older marine (maybe Korean War era) who could still out shovel many others on the beach.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AK AU Diver you on the show? or (more likely) a real dredger who laughs at the antics?

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not on the show enough for you to notice, they wouldn't pay me enough nor do it right.

I am a professional Bering sea gold dredger, with 1200 hours nozzle time over six years, built several dredges, spent many years broke. Now I make slightly less than I could doing a "real" job in my professional field, but I make it in 6 months.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's some good advice based on what I have seen everyone say about the nome situation.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1200 hours nozzle time = 2400 dives for emily's dad ( based on the show)

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A bit off track here perhaps, but I have a very unique solution to dredging gold on the sea bottom, in Nome or anywhere else, that does not require a diver or a suction device, and not limited by depth, making many inaccessible locations possible to mine at a reasonable cost (Nome and others around the world). Anyone who is interested beyond just curiosity, might PM me.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've often wondered about a clam-shell bucket type dredge. Go as deep as you want, more stable method than a hoe.

Any up there, Ak Au Diver?

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've often wondered about a clam-shell bucket type dredge. Go as deep as you want, more stable method than a hoe.

I would find a old cargo ship and weld the upperpart of a clam-shell crane on the deck and the wash plant in the cargo hold.
This system is call a grab dredge.
With a good three or four anchor system you could mine deep water beyond diving depth.
During the last ice age sea level was at least 394 feet (120 m) lower. That means there is a lot of deep gold off shore.
This gives a lot of area to mine outside the normal diving area.
plus if the cargo ship is big enough and anchored good you could operate all of the ice free season and working 24/7 with a good rig you could run a lot of tonnage.
http://www.damen.com/~/media/nl/Ima...10_dredging_01.ashx?h=393&mh=393&mw=710&w=710

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny in AB
"You'll find great people and nasty people in Nome and area just like everywhere, but you'll be far, far from help and home if anything goes wrong. You either fly in to Nome, or you go by boat, and that's it!"

You forgot dog sled!:tongue3:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny in AB
"You'll find great people and nasty people in Nome and area just like everywhere, but you'll be far, far from help and home if anything goes wrong. You either fly in to Nome, or you go by boat, and that's it!"

You forgot dog sled!:tongue3:

True that! My bad.:icon_thumright:

All the best,

Lanny

AK_Au_Diver

Nov 21, 2013
Nome, AK
Detector(s) used
My Eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

There was one a couple years ago, it didn't work very well. There are a lot of issues that hinder a clam-type operation. I think it has potential, but there are many design parameters that have to be done right from the design phase. I have given such an idea considerable thought over the past couple years, and I think I could build a working one with someone with the right amount of capital to put into it. My PM box is open.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread