would you buy 4 acres in Sutter creek with a gold mine on it ?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sutter Creek.... probably the most worked water in the Mother Lode. BUT.... if he owns the land, he can go below surface digs. Hmmm. Possibilities here! TTC

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
my bud has some extra pcs of property for sale , he is not into the gold fever . no house and over a 300 foot mine shaft about 125 K .... we can dream cant we ? The fever is brewing

It'll depend on the price and the realistic possibilities (regulations, permits, expenses, assays, etc.) of recovering enough gold to make it feasible. If the chances of getting appreciable amounts of gold are good, and you've got the money to spend, why not? Live the dream.

All the best,

Lanny

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you can dig your own land.... caveat.... have the permits for mineral rights. The person selling the land (above) may not have the mineral rights. TTC

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check on mineral rights first, and then do some sampling of the stream and possible benches(old riverbed/course) for gold before making a commitment on buying, if you find gold in the stream and or benches any lode deposits would be a bonus.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Get it in the contract that you will pay for the land with the gold you extract.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research the history on the mine, Some were dug and are just holes in the ground, Basically a prospect hole,If you find that it actually produced go off of the reports to make your decision. Don't be a Todd Hoffman chasing dreams. Deal with facts. You don't state if your property has the creek running through it but anything recovered from the creek would only confirm that there is gold upstream not necessarily on that property, Because what you find in the creek would more than likely be placer gold that deposited there after storms.I myself know of some gold deposits but the cost of recovery is prohibitive that could be why it was abandoned. I would hope that you found the Mother Lode that everyone else missed.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first of all, don't talk bad about turd hoffman, it's not nice to pick on dumb animals.

B. it would be fun to own any gold mine just to say you do!!

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Seems like your talking a hardrock mine.Didn't the mine in Sutter creek recently close down after waiting 10-12 years for permits and spending millions?You'd likely still have surface rights if some outfit owns the mineral rights.None of this would do you any good if you don't know how to prospect and sample quartz veins.If your in the city limits of Sutter Creek or even the county you'd need permits to use mechanized equipment.Even with hand tools some enviro greenies or jealous neighbors might turn you in.Keeping a low profile is basically the only way to go.Like the old navy saying goes...loose lips sink ships.I'm down the road from you in Angels Camp,Calaveras county.I think the old river channels(tertiary rivers) are above him around the town of Volcano.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the Recorders office to see if the mineral rights were transfered--or sold--with the last recording on the property BEFORE exchanging cash. Lean,mean,quiet and clean but with only 4 acres really pretty small to mine. NEIGHBORS homes predicate a lot as shoot a few holes and ya jus' might rock a few folks houses and then the LL begins-John

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed posted a good video on his hole in the ground. A good example of the massive capital outlay and work involved. Always remember a hardrock miner is nuttn' but a liar with a hole in the ground when for sale. If good gold,it wouldn't be for sale-same same as placer claims. Wish ya all the luck in the world but SAFETY FIRST underground or preburied is no fun-John

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does land without a mine go for there?

Real Estate here is a buyers market, can you buy it, search, improve, and sell at a profit in a few years?

Maybe he'll take 100k.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread