goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
We are considering getting a trommel and I've been doing research into several different brands. One thing that has shocked me (maybe I've been out of it for too long or something) is the prices they're getting for them now days. (I thought they were made to recover gold, not made from it!)

As far as portable trailer mounted units go I've looked into the Javalina Reverse Helix models, the Golden Retriever from Angus McKirk, The 159 from Heckler Fabrication, and a couple of others and all seem to have both advantages and disadvantages. Some like the Javalina have much lower feed rates per hour then others. Some are belt driven instead of chain drive. Etc. Etc. Etc. I'd like to hear from those using these different brands/models and get their opinions. What would you change? What do you think of their recovery abilities? How about reliability? Most importantly, do you think it was worth the investment?

Needless to say this is going to be a major investment and we really REALLY need to make sure that we get the most bang for our buck because unlike Todd Hoffman, we don't have a TV network footing the bills for us! Though I could most likely build something on my own, I'm NOT the metal fab kind of guy like AzViper and some others on here are. We've got a very complete wood shop but that doesn't do us much good for this kind of project. I don't think a wooden trommel would be an option. It could be cool, but not practical.

GI

Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it will but I've got that planned for already. I've put in a LOT of time getting things figured out on how to do all of this and NOT have it turn into "Gold Rush Arizona". As I've stated on many a thread here... Todd Hoffman is a prime example of how NOT to run an operation!!!!

Well I own a Goldclaimer & it is my favorite piece of equiptment!
trommel.jpg

Sucks the gold out of clay!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a copy of ICMJ, there is plenty of used equipment that will exceed your requirements and fit your budget

Equipment We Offer - Images hosted at BiggerBids.com

This one is 20tph and they are asking 12,000.00

1894103_Mining-Claims-5-30-2010-118.jpg

Jeff,

Take a strong look at the Gold Claimer. They have been at it for 30 years. My buddy who built his swears by going hydraulic as it lowers your operating cost. Ready to roll, suspension, brakes, feeders... Just remember when buying used your buying headaches as you have no clue how the equipment was maintained.

Well I own a Goldclaimer & it is my favorite piece of equiptment!
View attachment 1128010

Sucks the gold out of clay!

For your needs you need to stay away from the small Gold Claimer because it's just too small. We looked at them and used one for a day and it just doesn't have the capacity. We were going to buy the larger one, The Oregon Pioneer 15 that AZ shows but I found another one locally. We had done the research, done the testing, and found the Oregon Pioneer 15 with an extra long outfeed conveyor would be great. Heckler also builds to suit so call him and tell him that you want a trailer with springs, shocks and 15" wheels for off road and see what he can do. Or you can do like we did and buy or build a trailer for it. The ICMJ is a great place to look and there are other equipment auctions online as well as...

portable gold trommels by Heckler Fabrication mining equipment
Also call Yuba Industries Yuba Industries - Yuba Trommel and Vibrating Screens
http://yubaindustries.com/yuba_portable_processor.php
Oregon Pioneer 15
Gold Mining Equipment for Sale
MSI has conveyors - Gold Mining Equipment by MSI Mining

Last edited:

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My buddy built this trommel and its comparable to the bigger Gold Claimer. As you can see lots of engineering went into this build as it is heavy duty. He sold it for $40K and he's working an area near where you plan I think. I know he has his own drilling rig so he may have drilled his own well or he uses the drilling rig to test samples. He's currently building a new trommel...

That's probably a pretty good lead, since they have worked similar ground. Sounds like you know what the site logistics require. Do you know what the ground requirements are? How big of oversize for example?

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of different ways, if you want to increase production use a belt feeder. You can also use two goldclaimers a divider & a belt feeder. The dewatering screw & oscillating sluice is the way to go. You will however have some fine gold in the sand screw clean out drain at the end of the day.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the amount of money that you have to work with my suggestion would be to buy a cheaper used one that will run the amount of material that you are wanting to run and then do some upgrades on the machine, this way you can set it up the way you like such as the sluice and riffle design or the power plant and drive system. Throw away cheaply versus good quality Honda engine or belt drive versus chain drive. As long as the metal components are not worn out and you could get it fairly cheap you could set it up the way you want it and for the type of material your running. Just my two cents worth.

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been looking at buying the Heckler trommel. He makes really nice stuff and looks to be well built. He will build it any way you want if you call and tell him. He can do a trailer version I am sure. I'd go with him. Some of those mentioned above seem mighty high to load into. I would think keeping things down low would be much better.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a friends trommel he built from scratch. Totally heavy duty and powered by a 3 phase gen. He has built a new trommel run by all hydraulic motors power from a small diesel motor/pump. This trommel has a vibrating hopper. The last photo shows all the sprayers within the hopper along the sides and top.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg
9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg
13.jpg

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen pics of that rig before. The man that built that trommel should be very proud!

Yes I had the photos up before, I think I had them hosted somewhere else and the links went dead... The trommel is very well thought out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread