Prospecting in PA?

ShadowLine

Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son has been bothering me to take him gold prospecting for almost a year now. We live outside of Philadelphia PA, and I'm finding conflicting information about gold in eastern PA. Some internet sites claim it can be found in only very specific areas, while others claim it can be found almost anywhere. I'd prefer to be able to take him to a creek area in eastern PA and try some panning, but I'm not sure. Should I be steering him in another direction, or is gold prospecting in creeks around here a viable activity? thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
muddyrun creek,is known for a few flakes, there are a few creeks in york co. that also produce a lil gold,its actualy native gold gold that some speculate that is whethering out of the diabase in the region,it is there, but if you want to get any measurable amount, you MUST move lots of material , just panning ,you may get lucky with (a) flake,if you do a lil reseach of the geo ,of the creek you decide on, and set up a sluice, and put in some work, you can get gold,warning , if you do, you will likly get hooked ,it doesnt take much! just a note here most of the property is private and you need premission,good luck to you ,and post your finds ,would love to here of your experience.

GLDPNR

Greenie
Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
muddyrun creek,is known for a few flakes, there are a few creeks in york co. that also produce a lil gold,its actualy native gold gold that some speculate that is whethering out of the diabase in the region,it is there, but if you want to get any measurable amount, you MUST move lots of material , just panning ,you may get lucky with (a) flake,if you do a lil reseach of the geo ,of the creek you decide on, and set up a sluice, and put in some work, you can get gold,warning , if you do, you will likly get hooked ,it doesnt take much! just a note here most of the property is private and you need premission,good luck to you ,and post your finds ,would love to here of your experience.

I pan in a stream not too far from Peters Creek. (a few miles away). I have acquired .4 grams so far worth $17. I guess I keep hoping for a nice pocket. Beautiful area though.................

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
there was an earlier post on a NJ gold club outing just recently, and they did a trip to Pa., found a small spec.
in an older GPAA book, for Pa. the only gold they said reported was in south central Pa., and it wasn't placer, but a byproduct from an iron mine.
that isn't to say there can't be some placers deposits, but I suspect that anything would be glacial deposits and sporadic.
I used to spend my summers as a kid in the Poconos, which is coal country and doesn't have the same characteristics that are associated with source deposits.
taking your son out panning is still a good excuse to have some man time with the boy, whether you find anything or not. good luck.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold is found in alot of areas of PA. ive found it in the eastern pa area along the delaware river near me, the windgap area, west of scranton area, out by harrisburg and thru out the York Delta area where it is coming out of the diabase dyke faults and along the susquehanna river (seen small nuggets recovered) . on our club property in redlion, ive found six specs in one heaping pan worth of material from one spot

there is a delaware valley chapter gpaa club (http://www.dvgpaa.com/index.php) which meets monthly in pottstown and they have a few places and make trips to peters creek a fair amount and my club meets in Redlion (south of york) at our club property monthly

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread