What equipment do i need? Newbie

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just starting this new hobby of searching for gold. What equipment do i need? So far i have:

15" Pan
14" Pan
10" Pan
1/2" Classifier
Guzzler bottle
2 vials
2 - 5 gallon buckets
metal detector
couple shovels

I have been researching and reading my butt off for the past month. I have a creek that i've been playing in that i think might produce a little. I have been twice. Found a fair amount of black sand but no color yet. I bought a bag of dirt off ebay to play with to make sure i was panning correctly and i got some color in it so i think my panning skills are ok. Seems like i need a few things still. Classifiers, maybe a super mini bazooka, and maybe a blue bowl. I know that the sluice isnt needed till i find dirt to run, but figured i may as well get it. as far as cleanup, seems like blue bowl will do what i need.

Also, i could use some clarification on the process of finding and collecting gold. From the time you dump dirt in your first classifier all the way to putting gold in a vial. What classifiers do i need? how fine? I am hesitant to pan all the black sand out of the pan so i've been collecting all the black sand and color in the guzzler. That way, when i get a blue bowl, or whatever i end up with, i can run all the sand to get the gold.

I have always been interested in the search for gold just never got into it until now (33 yrs old). I live in central SC. I'm pretty sure i'll find some color around here somewhere, just gotta do alot of research and test pans.

I have been reading about GPAA and LDMA. That said, i'm more interested in finding gold on my own than going to some creek that everyone knows about. Its more about the search and adventure to me than anything.

One thing i have learned is that gold hunting is like duck hunting (which i have been doing for years). You gotta do the footwork to find gold, and when you do, you gotta be tight lipped.

Thanks in advance for the help! Good luck fellas!

Upvote 0

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest you run more material. Get a sluice! you can find them at pretty reasonable prices that do the trick.
If you want a quick video run down look up howtodrillawell's channel on youtube. He covers most all aspects and methods you will be interested in. Also watch a lot of youtube videos, you will see patterns in what people are telling you to do / watch out for / best methods etc.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby, it's a great adventure! :)

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depending on your location, you may be able to find a GPAA affiliated club that you can join for no cost. They can teach you a whole lot of hands on lessons.

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on your location, you may be able to find a GPAA affiliated club that you can join for no cost. They can teach you a whole lot of hands on lessons.
how do i go about finding them? call GPAA?

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
how do i go about finding them? call GPAA?

That could work. Look them up online and see if you can't find phone lists of local chapters.

Get some work gloves for digging and shovelling. As well, maybe some rubber gloves if your water is cold (to use for panning).

I'd get some sniping tools (you can start off with screwdrivers and awls, some different sized metal spoons, a little scoop, a stiff-bristled brush). This is essential if you're in an area where there's exposed bedrock, if not--forget about it. If you need to see what sniping tools look like, google it.

Rubber boots and wool socks if the water's cold.

If you want more information on chasing gold, pop over to my thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html Lots of people have posted ideas there, and you can read about some interesting tips and stories as well.

Another tip, start your search where gold has already been found before--they didn't come close to getting it all, but at least you'll know your definitely in the right area.

All the best,

Lanny

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow...heck that's more stuff than I have and I have been doing this 4 about a year. I only use 2 12 inch pans a sluice, metal scoop, and a 5 gal bucket. Plus a metal detector but I have not been out to use it yet... besides nows not the best time to pan unless you live somewhere warm. I live in Pa and the timp was 1 degree here. To bloody cold.

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, already read that! I'm telling ya, i've been reading my butt off for a few weeks. Also, i do live in the slate belt. And, i have a creek, or stream i would say, that has some great exposed bedrock and lots of good looking rocks. Even though i dont know exactly what rocks to look for. The black sand has my hopes up though.

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's a pic of the creek i'm playing in. gotta click on it.

Justbent

Mar 23, 2013
North Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice spot. Follow that bedrock down. You have a lake there, setup a small little river sluice. You'll find some color.

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would be awesome if i did. that place has never been touched. might be for a reason though... lol

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Learn to pan properly. Panning is the key to getting gold. There is a video on YouTube titled 40+years panning experience British Colombia. The guy has good technique. Put a staple ( or bb ) in the top of your pan when trying, the staple should be there when done. Panning is key because it it is how sampling is done. Sample a spot without carrying your sluice or setting up sample some more until you 0 in on the gold, then setup and mine with a sluice. Sluicing all day when you are five feet away from the gold is not nearly as much fun.

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
That creek has great possibilities I agree get a sluice dig deeper you will find it

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello , aside from all the gear and book knowledge about prospecting, it boils down to location and how deep you got to dig and where to dig in the creek or river... check out some vids on youtube about how to read a river for gold. :goldpan:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get a sluice. Find some running water and shovel. Don't go crazy until you find gold. This is the prospecting stage. Once you have found gold, you are now in the mining stage. That means go nuts with the shovel!!! Good Luck!

OP
OP
B

biggdave92

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched probably 30 videos covering all aspects of find gold. What rocks to look for, panning techniques, how to read the creek, etc. Guess it just comes down to finding good spots and moving material. Thanks a lot for all the input! I'll post as I work this spot in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread