Which Angus Mackirk sluice is best?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The AM sluices are really good. I love my Expedition, just don't use it now that I've upgraded to Bazooka ;). No experience with the ones you mention though.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I know most people would recommend the bazooka and how it is the best choice. I wanted to spend a bit less that the money they were asking for, so I want a Angus Mackirk. I am stuck between the Mini Long Tom and the Scout sluices. Any one know which is best?
I have the Scout, which is a good little sluice for exploration and sampling, but you can't move a lot of material through it compared to the larger sluices. My Indiana location limits my choices more than prices, which was why I chose the Scout. I also have a four foot drop riffle from a different company in case I find something worth working. Considering your location you probably want the Long Tom, Grub Steak, Explorer, or maybe the Expedition.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
I have the recon and its great for back packing but it is a little small for moving a lot of material. My buddy uses the Explorer and I recommend that because it will fit in a bucket for cleanups and still move a lot of material fast.

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
I just picked up the Recon on Craigslist. I got it to easily pack and test some spots before hauling out a larger sluice. It's super light and small. But yea, it's not going to move a ton of dirt but I wouldn't think that it's intent would be for low production and testing.

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Angus Macgirk Alaskan Flare & Grub Stake
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene Highbanker/2.5" dredge with GH matting
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Recon and Alaskan Flare and am happy with them. My buddy has a mini long tom and it is amazing. Catches flour gold from the top to the bottom! He sprayed it with bed liner and added a small strip of shallow vmat to preview what's coming through 30361153306_31515abcbf_o.jpg

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my Forman 2 great sluice, and of course super fast cleanouts. plus it will catch even the tiniest pieces of color.

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a recon and a boss. They both are great and catch super fine gold. Bazookas require to much water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread