Found this MDing where I mine placer. Thinking hematite:

image-2092184026.jpg

Haven't streaked this part of the commode before:

image-1825290505.jpg

Magnetic enough to hold up a jumbo jet:

image-3095635376.jpg

Get away from my gold!

image-14447468.jpg

Does magnetite and hematite form together?

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnatite and hematite are different forms of iron ore and are often found in the same areas. I don't think they form together (as in the same time) but surely in relatively close geologic terms. Both erode out and their similar weights cause them to deposit together.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
8KCAB

8KCAB

Jul 12, 2011
Bakersfield
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnetite is magnetic. So, if your sample is magnetic, it's not hematite as hematite is non-magnetic

Ah, thanks! I thought maybe hematite, since it streaked brownish sometimes and blackish sometimes, but I guess the brown came from some other minerals in the rock.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black sand normally comes from hell. However, since most people don't believe in hell anymore,:notworthy: it is one of several minerals in minute quantities that erode out of the bedrock and get deposited in the creek bottoms over time. Minerals can include various iron minerals including hematite and magnetite, chromium, and ilmenite and rutile, which are ores of titanium. Columbite and tantalite are other black minerals that occur in black sands also, but you are less likely to find these.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread