Anyone have any luck prospecting in the Uwharrie mountains?

Feb 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking about planning another trip to the uwharrie. This time to do some panning. I was just wondering how the Gold was in the area? I've only been once but couldn't do any panning. Is it ok to pan in the national forest? are there any small creeks near 109 or 24/27 that have Gold? I've read only hand tools are allowed, pan, shovel bucket and I assume a sluice...Just trying to find a public place to pan without getting ran off.

thanks guys.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I
Feb 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah this would be my first time panning. haha forgot to mention that. Im a newbie!

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is the pics from the last 2 trips out to URE just this year.
1389139745922.jpg CAM00026.jpg

So yea get out and dig. BTW no dredges, motorized equipment or metal detectors in the NF. Right now theres enough water in most creeks to be able to run my 30" BGT Prospector, while in the summer the water flow is lower but i should be able to use the Super Mini (not sure as I haven't tried it yet). I plan on going at least 1 to 2 times a month now that I no longer travel for work.

sluicelee

Feb 21, 2013
Upcountry, SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Pro, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dyno, I'm in the upstate of SC and thought about making the trip to URE - seen some videos on youtube of guys finding good color. I too, have the same BGTs as you. Got the super mini about a year ago and just recently got the 30" prospector. I wanted to run more material and still be able to backpack. So is it ok to run sluices in URE and I you probably need a permit to prospect, right? I guess I could find info online, but it doesn't hurt to ask an experienced URE prospector. Thanks

sluicelee

Feb 21, 2013
Upcountry, SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Pro, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey djpitr, thanks for the info. Maybe we should plan a trip, I hear the gold in NC is chunky :-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread