Finally! Blue Lead Mine permitted!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
After years of sucessfull operation, the Blue Lead Mine got its full permits! That''s after much gnashing of teeth and hand wringing by enviro's and monkey wrenchers. I was told by my super sleuth that they are taking a lot of gold out of there. It's old hydraulic diggings in the Red Dog area near Nevada City, CA.

I'm just wondering how they will get all the mercury out of the dirt, and possible cadmium? And is this a turn around for Nevada County to finally be pro gold mining? It just galls me to no end that they allow mines like this, but will not allow our little gold dredges to go in and clean up the mercury, lead, and fishermen's trash!

The Nevada County Planning Commission approved a use permit for the Blue Lead Mine, roughly seven miles east of Nevada City on Red Dog Road, at its meeting Thursday afternoon.
The project will excavate a total of 4.5 million cubic yards in five phases over 20 years, and it includes a reclamation plan.
The commission also approved a mitigated negative declaration for the project, as well as a proposal to rezone the property as a mineral extraction combining district.
The Blue Lead’s current owner plans to excavate materials that have already been mined in the past to collect any remaining gold left behind by the mine’s previous operators.
The surface-mining project calls for using bulldozers and other earth-moving equipment to dig up gravel, transport it to a sifting apparatus, and sort out any gold.
Sifted soil will be kept on site and used to fill in the excavated area when the mining project is complete.
“Ultimately, the clean mine waste will be returned to the extracted area and used as backfill, and before it gets deemed clean, it has to go through the provisions of the regional water quality control board,” said senior planner Tod Herman.
The reclamation plan also calls for revegetation; a test plot will be used to determine the most appropriate and effective mix of native plant species for this location.
The Blue Lead Mine, formerly known as the Golden Girl Mine, was hydraulically mined beginning in the 1880s and remained active until sometime in the 1930s.
During that era, mercury was used as part of the recovery process for smaller particles of gold.
As a result, mercury contamination may be an issue going forward.
“Part of this mining operation will need to look at whatever mercury residual might be left,” Herman said.
During public comment, neighbors raised concerns about noise and potential environmental degradation as a result of water runoff.
Questions were also raised about whether or not the project applicant could be trusted to follow through on stated plans for cleanup. “Nevada County has a legacy of mines that don’t follow through on their commitments and leave the cleanup for others to pay for,” said Ray Bryars of Nevada City, citing the Lava Cap Mine and ongoing litigation between the City of Grass Valley and the Newmont Mining Corporation.
“These are companies that in their day convinced Nevada County officials that they would be good guys and clean up their mess, but sadly did not follow through as promised,” Bryars added.
That sentiment was echoed in the county’s staff report, written by Tod Herman.
“A lingering concern staff has with all smaller gold mining operations is that very few of these smaller gold mining operations tend to truly evaluate the entire site with a drilling and sampling program to assess the volumes and depth of the mineral deposits before factoring those results (gains) against the actual operating costs (losses) associated with the project,” Herman wrote.
That cost of cleanup may be resolved by the Financial Assurance Cost Estimate, which guarantees available funds to the lead agency responsible for cleanup.
This money is typically provided in the form of a security bond, a letter of credit, certificate of deposit, or cash.
In 2009, the cost associated with this project was estimated at less than $36,500 — but county staff believes that sum would only cover reclaiming the mine in an idle status.
During closing comments, Commissioner Douglas Donesky called the Blue Lead Mine a pioneering project, and expressed hope that the project applicant would create a model for other retired mine sites in the area.
“Please do a really amazing job of it so that some of the moonscapes can be restored here, and we can have some economic activity without causing heartburn for the neighbors and people who want to protect our county,” Donesky said.
“We’re very pleased with the outcome,” applicant Bob White said.
Roughly 25 people were in attendance for the public hearing.
To contact staff writer Dave Brooksher, call 530-477-4230 or [email protected].

images

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well let all hope that they do follow through with the reclamation as planned. If they don't, it would be yet another nail in the coffin when it comes to mining on all scales.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good for them but......what's the catch? I'm sad to say I didn't think they had a hope in he'll. Not with the political climate and cast of characters in Nevada County. Congrats gents, do us proud!
Amazing, I still can't wrap my noggen around it. The most influential outspoken anti miner on the planet let's this slip by her in her own hometown, it's a beautiful thing!

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course they will follow through, or the county will get the money they posted for the reclaimation bond.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That s great.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats to them , hope they leave it better than they found it to do us all proud! ( and hope they find lots of gold too!!)

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for them but......what's the catch? I'm sad to say I didn't think they had a hope in he'll. Not with the political climate and cast of characters in Nevada County. Congrats gents, do us proud!
Amazing, I still can't wrap my noggen around it. The most influential outspoken anti miner on the planet let's this slip by her in her own hometown, it's a beautiful thing!

I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this, but one word from the Sierra Fund, and there will be 50 protesters with placards, blocking access and risking jail time to stop this "abomination" to mother nature. Unlike the miners so far, they will find the energy to campaign against this project until they win. Just like the spotted owl thing. (will there be any support for the mining company from us ?)

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Right in Izzys back yard and not a peep, they must too busy spending that mercury remediation money to. bother with mining.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Oak - I completely forgot that I subscribed to their stupid paper for three months ! It says that two citizens groups (not TSF) are holding a rally on Feb. 25th on
the proposed re-opening of a san juan ridge placer mine. Following the rally, they will hand deliver 1,300 signatures to the Nevada county BOSupervisors.
"As our representatives, it is vital that the board of supervisors recognizes that there is widespread concern about this mine". It goes on with the usual
disturbances of the local eco-system, blah , blah..... It will be interesting to see how effective their petition is with the county. Stay tuned...

OP
OP
B

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Here is about the North San Juan Mine(formerly the Siskon Mine)

The San Juan Ridge Taxpayers Association and the South Yuba River Citizens League are hosting an early morning rally on Tuesday, Feb. 25, on the proposed reopening of a historic gold mine in the heart of the San Juan Ridge.
Following the rally, SJRTA and SYRCL will hand-deliver more than 1,300 signed postcards to Nevada County’s board of supervisors during the public comment portion of the board’s meeting at 9 a.m.
The purpose of the rally and presentation is to demonstrate the community’s concerns that the proposed San Juan Ridge Mine would negatively impact local water supplies and the health of the Yuba River.
There was a packed house for the previous Nevada County board of supervisors meeting that included San Juan Ridge Mine scoping.
“As our representatives, it is vital that the board of supervisors recognizes that there is widespread concern about this mine. We encourage community members to attend the rally and participate in the formal presentation of these postcards, which represent the voices of more than 1,300 others,” said Gary Parsons, SJRTA president.
The postcards, collected during SYRCL’s recent Wild & Scenic Film Festival, state, “water is more precious than gold” and feature an image of the mythological King Midas, who wished for the ability to turn anything he touched into gold but later regretted his decision after turning food, water and even his own daughter into the precious metal.
When the mine last operated in the 1990s, it struck a water-bearing fault, reportedly causing the failure of 12 domestic wells and the wells for the North Columbia Schoolhouse Cultural Center and Grizzly Hill School. Nearby Spring Creek, a tributary of the Yuba, was scoured to bedrock and millions of gallons of untreated mine water was discharged into the South Yuba River.
“We learned from the last mine failure that this is a watershed-wide issue,” said SYRCL board President Barbara Getz, a local business person and longtime San Juan Ridge resident.
“We need to learn from the past and not have a disastrous repeat of what happened in the 1990s.”
When the mine application was submitted in 2012, SJRTA, SYRCL and other groups knew they had to act and gather baseline data for the potentially affected creeks.
“SYRCL’s citizen science program is focused on evaluating conditions in Spring and Shady creeks, the primary streams draining the mine area. We are testing water quality, continuously monitoring stream flow and surveying the populations of the yellow-legged frog.
“We are learning how these streams have regenerated from historic mining impacts and how they are sensitive to alterations of the natural hydrology,” said SYRCL’s science program director, Gary Reedy, who has helped coordinate this monitoring effort.
For more information about the rally, contact Andrew Collins-Anderson at [email protected].

From theunion.com Feb. 17, 2014

See; shastagoldcorp.com for the mines site. Every possible precaution will be taken to prevent any problems, and just getting the mine open will provide 7 million $ in payroll!

Now here are the concerns of local residents:

With California in the midst of the worst drought on record, the proposal to reopen a historic gold mine in the heart of the San Juan Ridge could not come at a worse time.
The San Juan Ridge Mine would threaten local water supplies, the health of the Yuba River watershed, and the community and local economy that rely on them.
I was raised on the San Juan Ridge and attended Grizzly Hill School. I saw firsthand the impacts to my community the last time the mine operated in the 1990s. And as a scientist and hydrologist, I am deeply concerned that the proposed mine will again harm the place I call home.
While recent rains have mitigated some of this historic drought, last year was the driest year on record in most of California, reservoirs remain dangerously low, and on Jan. 30, the snowpack was just 12 percent of average.
In the face of such a crisis, the waste of billions of gallons of groundwater that the San Juan Ridge Mine would consume does not qualify as a best use of our county’s water.
At its peak, it’s estimated the mine would pump up to 3.5 million gallons of water out of the ground every day — nearly one-third of the total daily groundwater use of all of Nevada County.
This discharge would impact the underground aquifer that provides water to hundreds of families, businesses and family-owned farms. This scale of water waste would be reckless and irresponsible.
The history of the mine illustrates the threat to local water supplies: on Labor Day weekend in 1995, the same mine struck a water-bearing fault, causing the failure of 12 domestic wells and the wells for the North Columbia Schoolhouse Cultural Center and Grizzly Hill School.
I was lucky, having graduated from Grizzly Hill School two years earlier. But those who came after me weren’t so lucky, and students at the school drank bottled water for over a decade when a replacement well drilled by the mining company showed high levels of contamination. Some residents with affected wells complained they became ill from drinking their water, and many whose wells were affected still need to filter or treat their water to this day.
Fast forward to the present day: data on the mine’s potential impacts on local water supplies is being collected under drought conditions, raising concerns that inadequate science could determine the fate of our community and watershed.
The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) requires preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR) to identify the potential impacts of the project. In order to produce an adequate EIR, significant monitoring of area wells needs to take place so that we can understand the current (or “baseline”) water quality and levels of wells surrounding the mine. So far, however, mine proponents have committed to studying area wells for only a single year. Needless to say, one year of well data collected during a historic drought year does not amount to an adequate baseline study.
Without several years of monitoring, many doubt that an adequate EIR can be produced or that residents will have confidence in its findings.
The San Juan Ridge Taxpayers Association has asked the county to require multiple years of well monitoring in order to capture the seasonal fluctuations of well levels and water quality.
On Feb. 25 local organizations and community members will deliver to the Board of Supervisors more than 1,300 postcards signed by Nevada County residents and others concerned about the impacts of the San Juan Ridge Mine.
Before the supervisors’ meeting, we will hold a rally at the Rood Center to express our concerns about this project.
Personally, I am not against mining — but I am very concerned that the San Juan Ridge Mine poses an unacceptable risk to our community and our irreplaceable water resources.
Please join us on Feb. 25 on the steps of the Rood Center at 8 a.m. and make your voice heard.
Sol Henson is a member of the San Juan Ridge Taxpayers Association the board of directors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions