There is a reason we tell you to stay out of abandoned mines

golden sluice

Dec 16, 2013
next to disneyland
Detector(s) used
Thanks Kellyco, and Garrett:smile:... I love my AT gold metal detector!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think africa has got a real mining issue going on. Definitely, this not the last we will hear of illegal mining in abandoned gold shafts. It's crazy to read that African locals are living down in there. I would never live in a mine shaft like some do over there. Old mines are just not safe. Timbers get dry rot, and fractured tunnels crumble with the slightest earthquake. South Africa has both of those problems.

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The risk aside, how much gold did they think they were going to get out of a played out mine? I have to think that the company which abandoned it had a good reason for doing so or they'd still be there. Hmmm...jail or death...which will I choose?

Jonsered

Oct 12, 2009
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
The risk aside, how much gold did they think they were going to get out of a played out mine? I have to think that the company which abandoned it had a good reason for doing so or they'd still be there. Hmmm...jail or death...which will I choose?

I can't speak for mines everywhere, but here in New Mexico, after WWI a lot of mines closed and never reopened, a combination of casualties in the war, low gold prices and exposure to the outside world. PLENTY of gold and silver was left in mines here. I actually got started in all this because of a love for ghost towns and abandoned mines.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
It is a different world there. Poverty I hope we never see. If a speck could buy some rice for my kids i would might risk it. I saw a news report claiming the mine owner was going to seal the entrance if they didn't come out. Ruthless!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread