Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really great follow up. One of my favorites:
"Walter N. Dimmick was accused of embezzling $30,000 in gold from the San Francisco U.S. Mint in the early 1900's and was imprisoned for it."

The rest of the articles just reinforce what others have said...they shoulda kept a low profile and sold them a little bit at a time. Now everybody wants a share.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Considering that these folks found the stash ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY I think they've got a foot up on Mel Fisher. Still... With the state of the California economy I wouldn't be surprised to see the state try to take possession of the find with some kind of legal action. It's just the kind of thing that the bureaucrats would try to do.

These people should be left alone to enjoy their good fortune. Even if it was stolen from the mint way back when, the statute of limitations on that crime would have run out. It's easy to see that they were not the ones that stole it and at the very least, if they have to turn it into the government then they should get a sizable reward.

Now... If I had been the one to find something like that.... I'd have kept my mouth shut and sold off the coins one at a time. Considering that from what I've read on this story, many of the coins were in mint condition and will bring many MANY time their face value.

That's my 2 cents on this one.....

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
At least they were smart enough to say it was found on their own property... Regardless of where it was really found. What I am having trouble with is the government taxing them on the current value. Who decides what the value is ? Some of these coins are unique as far as being the best examples known. You can't look that up in a book. NOBODY knows the real value until after they are sold. Does the IRS just pick a number out of thin air and tax them on that amount ? I have said it on some of the other threads on this find and I will say it again. These coins are worth face value until after they are sold. At that point they should be taxed on the profit. If they decide to keep them they should be taxed on the face value until such time that they are sold and then taxed individually. Forcing them to pay taxes now on whatever the government "guesses" the value to be forces them to sell at least half of them to pay those taxes. Am I the only one who thinks that's ridiculous ? Taxing them at the time of sale, individually, whenever that may be is the only fair way to do it (not that the government is ever fair).. Edit to add more thoughts on this. Let's suppose the government decides the coins are worth a total of 10 mil and they sell half the coins to satisfy the tax man. They keep the rest as an investment. Now 10 years later that 5 mil worth of coins has gone up in value and they sell them for 8 million. Does the government get to tax them AGAIN on the 3 million profit ? You know they would.. So in effect they get hosed twice for the same coins.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tax situation is interesting. It is legal tender with a face value of $27,000.Do they pay a tax on that? Do they pay on the bullion value ? The collector's value? When would they pay? When they sell? What if they choose to not sell? We all have a good idea on what the State of Kaliphony and the IRS will decide for them.Silence is truly golden

Graysondigger

Jan 14, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately not a surprise to me. We can all learn from this story for sure. Good post!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would pay on value of coins today. Like any asset if you sell it down the road you owe taxes on the profit...

If you win a car on a game show you pay taxes on it, if you hold that car for 10 years and for what ever reason it becomes a collectible and you sell it for 3 times what it was worth when you won it you owe taxes on the profit realized..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While its great to hear that there are still large hoards of coins to be found,
the couple could have avoided all this mess with the government & upcoming
lawsuits by just keeping the find to themselves; and selling off a few coins
at a time. Where money is at steak, EVERYONE wants a piece of the pie.

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just my 2 cents Mel Fisher had salvage rights, that didn't stop Florida, and yes i agree whit what u say, i am sure California will do what it can to get some, it being in the hole withh pension and other liabilitys i think i last heard was like 600 billion in obligations

i have often played the senerio in my head, what if? i find that large hoard, i think i could pull it off, but i would have to tell a pal or two and i know thats where my problem lies LOL, having found a pocket many years ago best ever ( a few oz of au ) I told my buds, the rush was on and also detecting found a large mans gold chain Oaklands Marina area my buddies saw me pull this from the ground we detected all day n found a couple more rings, but in testing the chain thats when i got excited almost two oz 22k tha was a long time ago

Considering that these folks found the stash ON THEIR OWN PROPERTY I think they've got a foot up on Mel Fisher. Still... With the state of the California economy I wouldn't be surprised to see the state try to take possession of the find with some kind of legal action. It's just the kind of thing that the bureaucrats would try to do. These people should be left alone to enjoy their good fortune. Even if it was stolen from the mint way back when, the statute of limitations on that crime would have run out. It's easy to see that they were not the ones that stole it and at the very least, if they have to turn it into the government then they should get a sizable reward. Now... If I had been the one to find something like that.... I'd have kept my mouth shut and sold off the coins one at a time. Considering that from what I've read on this story, many of the coins were in mint condition and will bring many MANY time their face value. That's my 2 cents on this one.....

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
They would pay on value of coins today. Like any asset if you sell it down the road you owe taxes on the profit... If you win a car on a game show you pay taxes on it, if you hold that car for 10 years and for what ever reason it becomes a collectible and you sell it for 3 times what it was worth when you won it you owe taxes on the profit realized.. American by birth, Patriot by choice. I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......
Understood but who gets to decide what the coins are worth ? Like I said, many are unique in the fact that they are the finest examples known. You can't very well use past auction records as a way of deciding value. Many many grey areas with this case. I'm thinking the ones who will profit the most will be the lawyers.

flasks

Mar 1, 2014
Titusville Pa.
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
one pair 20/15
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mel Fisher (deceased) had NO salvage rights beyond the median high tide anywhere along Florida's East coast. I hunted (and found) the last Galleon (1964) since the sinking of the 1715 fleet as a result of a violent hurricane. I have found dozens of gold coins, hundreds of silver reales as well as maravitas, jewelry, pottery fragments, lead sheathing from the hull and several small ballast stones. As far as I know it's still finders keepers if with-in the median high tide mark, see following statement. If an article is found that does not tie directly to an indigenous tribe or privately owned beach front land (condos, beach houses,etc.) the land comes under the State and county laws. My experience of beach hunting which spans 60 years taught me one lesson...just keep your mouth shut and move on! Picture is of a large emerald a lady I met found while walking the beach in the Sebastian area of Florida. Precious stones were carried in bulk raw as well as faceted along with other treasures the Spanish had pilfered from South America. She refused $7M for it by a jewelry shop. If that raw emerald would take a faceted cutting to say half it's raw weight you'd be looking at a high 6 figure price. The photo shows the asking price of $30 in 2005...I don't know what's become of it now. By the way...she was not "treasure" hunter when she found it but rather collecting colored beach glass. She wondered way no rounded and sand worn edges were on that green piece so she took it to the jeweler and he's the one that identified what it was... Emerald.jpg

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Understood but who gets to decide what the coins are worth ? Like I said, many are unique in the fact that they are the finest examples known. You can't very well use past auction records as a way of deciding value. Many many grey areas with this case. I'm thinking the ones who will profit the most will be the lawyers.
Don't forget our friendly local, state and federal tax agencies. They'll get a chunk of it and give it to the greenies....in our best interest of course.

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the cat is out of the bag now. And what I said before easy come easy go but it's not over until the f-- lady sings anything could happen but their in for a long ride I think they did some of their home work but not enough. We'll have to wait to see how this one plays out if we live long enough. They should of remembered the three monkey's

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there going to spend a good portion of there finds in lawyer expenses fighting for this treasure with every leach including the government on there backs...good luck proving it belonged to the saddle ridge hoard and even so how can relatives make claim to something there great grandfather had stolen thats beyond me

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a sick and twisted government we get robed from daily! The EPA will probably get them for digging in a watershed area without a permit also.. And then send in the greenies to remove the mercury from there property ...just in case they missed something..

Last edited:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
BGT mini and prospector, Gold-n-Sand.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The king has to get his tithe.
My utter contempt for something like this makes anything else I want to write here risk my membership.
Just awful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread