Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree19Likes
  • 5 Post By AU_Solitude
  • 5 Post By Lookin4goaled
  • 4 Post By Goldwasher
  • 1 Post By Lanny in AB
  • 2 Post By Hoser John
  • 1 Post By kevin1
  • 1 Post By goldenmojo

Thread: A weekend tease

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2014
    Vacaville CA
    SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
    387 times
    Prospecting

A weekend tease

So after convincing the girlfriend to head to the hills with me, headed out to gold country this morning. I brought my Angus MacKirk expedition (Hadn't used it yet) and a few pans. I knew I was going to be limited as to time I spent there, but, bringing the girlfriend made the trip a little less productive than it would have been solo.

She didn't want to make the one mile hike to the American and so I settled for messing around in a seasonal creek for a few hours hoping that I could work the little bits of bedrock for a picker or even a fleck of gold.

I managed to pull some decent flow into the MacKirk from the little water that was flowing and worked what should have been a good gold pocket, had there been gold there, but didn't even pull a speck of flour gold. I guess not all waterways in gold country have gold - either that or this had been worked out long ago.

Kind of a disappointing day, really wanted to take off and get to a few spots I know about that were near us but I guess all in all it was quality time with the girlfriend in the outdoors!

Next weekend, or the weekend after, solo trip. Dreaming of big gold.
    Last edited by AU_Solitude; Mar 08, 2014 at 11:50 PM.

us
    Jan 2014
    Sacramento, Ca
    Garret Ace 250 w/ DD Coil, 30" BGT Prospector, Blue bowl
    169 times
    Prospecting
    I've been there my friend.... Never quite as productive when I bring the wife, and child, and baby, and dog............. but, on the bright side half the fun sometimes is just getting out and enjoying what nature put out there for us... In any case, hope you get to go solo soon. Happy Hunting!!!!!

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    11695 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Just because you didn't find gold doesn't mean the creek is barren or worked out. You can clean three cracks without a speck and find several grams in a crack just a few feet away. Seasonal creeks are spotty and don't have as defined paystreaks as the bigger waterways do.

us
    Feb 2014
    Vacaville CA
    SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
    387 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    Just because you didn't find gold doesn't mean the creek is barren or worked out. You can clean three cracks without a speck and find several grams in a crack just a few feet away. Seasonal creeks are spotty and don't have as defined paystreaks as the bigger waterways do.
    True, I guess I should have specified the stretch I worked was absent of gold.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5247 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    I do agree. It pays to check them all, as you never know unless you go.

All the best,

Lanny

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .
    Aufisher likes this.
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6646 times
    That's why it's called prospecting as still seeking. Takes time to pay your dues but with experience you can get much better at "tells" and know where to not waste your time. You sound pretty lucky as ya got a gal who gave it a go and that is indeed golden all by itself-John
    AU_Solitude and Clay Diggins like this.

Oct 2012
    54 times
    Not finding anything goes hand in hand with any kind of prospecting. Your experience on that trip also taught her the first lesson in prospecting, "If everybody found some the first time out we'd call it finding."
    AU_Solitude likes this.

us
    Dec 2013
    N. California
    Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
    4690 times
    Prospecting
    I never try to explain the reasons why to my wife. I she wants to go prospecting she has to pay for parking.....
    AU_Solitude likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links