Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Found some placer gold in ohio...NEED advice

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2014
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm not sure . I will check

us
    Jan 2012
    Pinal Mountains,Arizona
    Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD. White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013 Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
    515 times
    Prospecting
    What type of open pit or dirt mine is to the east of your s turn?
    That is some rich red dirt. If it is dirt and not some left over slag or some thing.

You are also in a low lying area since the river is to the north of your spot.
    I would be hitting that bend like crazy. Small pan. 7 inch Garrett with riffles.
    Put it in a back pack and a canteen of water and do a little panning on the spot.
    But watch out for people,make sure they dont see you. I would go after that mine or pit closed down for the day.
    Last edited by roadrunner; Mar 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM.

Jul 2012
    Holmes County Ohio
    Tesoro Lobo
    1570 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter_46356 View Post
    Gold Maven, That's some mighty fine gold for this part of the country. May I ask how your prospecting. Panning, High Banking, or dredging? Most Hoosiers that find the Chunkier stuff over hear are dredging that'd be my guess.
    It came out of some sand washing machinery in a gravel pit. I'm building a larger sluice, it's hard to catch that fine stuff. It's also hard to keep my box from booming....I'm hosing material out of a giant vessel into my box, and I can't keep the feed rate right.

Working 6 and 7 days/week the last couple years, and it's almost impossible to find the time to play in the dirt.
    Two rules in life: Don't sweat the small stuff.

It's all small stuff.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    3888 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Wild Man View Post
    Hey Kevin, Just crushed the big piece with a pair of pliers & it flattened out. It did not break up. Is this a good sign ?
    If it flattened out, you're most likely on to gold, for if it's golden in color, and it's malleable, those are properties of gold. If it hangs down low in the pan and is very sluggish and more or less hates to move when you gently swish the water over it, that's often a pass on the specific gravity test too.

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Mar 2014
    8 times
    thanks for the advice road runner! it is some rich red dirt i have been up there before it is some kind of mine. would like to hear again from you. the valley with the s carved into it is really low 100 ft drop in elevation .some of the walls in the valley are pure rock 10 15 ft high. in one wall int he middle of solid rock there is a layer of coble and hardpack very hard to pry at is this an option to test. also inside if the rock hillside there is a cave with a 5 ft wide opening that is circular gets very large inside about 25 ft in diamater crazy big.

Ill get a picture of these feature asap for you guys.

Oct 2012
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Wild Man View Post
    thanks for the advice road runner! it is some rich red dirt i have been up there before it is some kind of mine. would like to hear again from you. the valley with the s carved into it is really low 100 ft drop in elevation .some of the walls in the valley are pure rock 10 15 ft high. in one wall int he middle of solid rock there is a layer of coble and hardpack very hard to pry at is this an option to test. also inside if the rock hillside there is a cave with a 5 ft wide opening that is circular gets very large inside about 25 ft in diamater crazy big.

Ill get a picture of these feature asap for you guys.
    You're making my mouth water, man! The cobble/hardpack is bound to have some color, that's a sign of a past stream channel. Work that stuff like a fiend. Since you're building a sluice consider building either a progressive, or drop riffle style, both will trap fines very well. If you can find where that wash plant is dumping its effluent work just downstream of there, they're doing all of the donkey work for you. You might also consider working the sand piles if you can, I'd bet there are fines in it.

us
    Nov 2013
    Statesville, NC
    Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
    49 times
    Prospecting
    Hey Ohio Wild Man,
    Welcome to Tnet. Ex-Toledoen here. +2 on what the others have said get out and work that valley. The only other thing I'd say is be more careful when you post locations, don't put the coordinates in the post. When you click on the picture you can see the long/lat. Depending on who see's it someone could steal your claim/area, not saying a Tnet member here would but never know about the many trolls lurking.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Sep 2012
    Wild Man, check your PM inbox. I live about 15 miles east of you in Lawrence County, PA. I have some equipment you might want me to bring you.

Rich

us
    Jan 2012
    Pinal Mountains,Arizona
    Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD. White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013 Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
    515 times
    Prospecting
    Is it just a cave, or a mine opening?
    It could be where water has hollowed it out.
    Check the walls for signs of iron, or quartz.

Also do a search on youtube on how to find gold in streams or rivers.

Nov 2012
    757 times
    Not no way not no how. Keep looking but your pic isn't what your looking for man. Trust me and trust Kev. Not Placer Gold.
    Ok now that its clear...
    KEEP this enthusiasm up and when you do see a fatty flake in you pan it'll blow your mind.

Mar 2014
    8 times
    Grizzly what isnt wat im looking for that pic of gold is looking through magnifying glass.

Nov 2012
    757 times
    I feel ya man their might be a few pieces but im seeing very sharp corners. If it is gold its right nrxt to the source. Im not trying to discourage. Take pics of gold in the pan. Even small flakes are UNMISTAKABLE.see how small the gold is still unmistakable in my pic. You have a few pieces of definety quarts in the photo. Quarts should not show up in cons.
    Keep digging. The bigger pieces need no magnification
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2313779662.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	425.7 KB 
ID:	962258  

us
    Apr 2009
    11 times
    OWM,
    I am from Northeast Ohio.
    Many years ago, I thought to pan some stuff from one of the nearby streams.
    I dug and dug with all the enthusiasm and gusto of a '49er looking for that big strike.
    And when I panned out my first cons, lo and behold there was some glinty metal in there! Eureka!
    As it turned out, it was some shavings from my cheap shovel

Keep looking, there is alluvial gold deposited over much of the state, but it's very sparse.

-Scott

us
    Jun 2013
    Indiana/Ohio
    Proline!!!
    174 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by scott565 View Post
    Keep looking, there is alluvial gold deposited over much of the state, but it's very sparse.
    Maybe not as sparse as you think. True that it will never compare to western states but many people are pulling some impressive nuggets from glacier gold states.
    Ol Chuck Lassiter seems to be doing pretty good, a guy I know pulled over an ounce last year and I personally have found some impressive spots.
    I've found that the further south you go in the state the better the gold gets as drift thickness gets thinner and your closer to that sweet sweet bedrock. Also try and concentrate on Illinoian as opposed to wisconsinan deposits.
    Happy hunting
    loco oro likes this.

Aug 2017
    Any new updates? Im from the Canfield area and know exactly where you are referring to. Lots of Native American history On the mahoning river also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links