Found some placer gold in ohio...NEED advice

Ohio Wild Man

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greenhorn Gold prospecter in ohio here, need some advice on where to look. I live in youngstown ohio by the mahoning river. Found some Flour gold right in my backyard in a spot where drainage has cut out the earth..Pics attached of gold

magnifying_2014-03-11_20-46-24.jpeg

Upvote 0

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the advice road runner! it is some rich red dirt i have been up there before it is some kind of mine. would like to hear again from you. the valley with the s carved into it is really low 100 ft drop in elevation .some of the walls in the valley are pure rock 10 15 ft high. in one wall int he middle of solid rock there is a layer of coble and hardpack very hard to pry at is this an option to test. also inside if the rock hillside there is a cave with a 5 ft wide opening that is circular gets very large inside about 25 ft in diamater crazy big.

Ill get a picture of these feature asap for you guys.

You're making my mouth water, man! The cobble/hardpack is bound to have some color, that's a sign of a past stream channel. Work that stuff like a fiend. Since you're building a sluice consider building either a progressive, or drop riffle style, both will trap fines very well. If you can find where that wash plant is dumping its effluent work just downstream of there, they're doing all of the donkey work for you. You might also consider working the sand piles if you can, I'd bet there are fines in it.

DynoGuy

Nov 10, 2013
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
Sluices: Bazooka 30" Prospector, Bazooka Super Mini and a folding A52 clone. Homemade 12" x 24" Miller table.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Ohio Wild Man,
Welcome to Tnet. Ex-Toledoen here. +2 on what the others have said get out and work that valley. The only other thing I'd say is be more careful when you post locations, don't put the coordinates in the post. When you click on the picture you can see the long/lat. Depending on who see's it someone could steal your claim/area, not saying a Tnet member here would but never know about the many trolls lurking.

NCprospector

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild Man, check your PM inbox. I live about 15 miles east of you in Lawrence County, PA. I have some equipment you might want me to bring you.

Rich

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is it just a cave, or a mine opening?
It could be where water has hollowed it out.
Check the walls for signs of iron, or quartz.

Also do a search on youtube on how to find gold in streams or rivers.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Not no way not no how. Keep looking but your pic isn't what your looking for man. Trust me and trust Kev. Not Placer Gold.
Ok now that its clear...
KEEP this enthusiasm up and when you do see a fatty flake in you pan it'll blow your mind.

OP
OP
O

Ohio Wild Man

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grizzly what isnt wat im looking for that pic of gold is looking through magnifying glass.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
I feel ya man their might be a few pieces but im seeing very sharp corners. If it is gold its right nrxt to the source. Im not trying to discourage. Take pics of gold in the pan. Even small flakes are UNMISTAKABLE.see how small the gold is still unmistakable in my pic. You have a few pieces of definety quarts in the photo. Quarts should not show up in cons.
Keep digging. The bigger pieces need no magnification

Attachments

• image-2313779662.jpg
    image-2313779662.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 191

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
OWM,
I am from Northeast Ohio.
Many years ago, I thought to pan some stuff from one of the nearby streams.
I dug and dug with all the enthusiasm and gusto of a '49er looking for that big strike.
And when I panned out my first cons, lo and behold there was some glinty metal in there! Eureka!
As it turned out, it was some shavings from my cheap shovel :unhappysmiley:

Keep looking, there is alluvial gold deposited over much of the state, but it's very sparse.

-Scott

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep looking, there is alluvial gold deposited over much of the state, but it's very sparse.

Maybe not as sparse as you think. True that it will never compare to western states but many people are pulling some impressive nuggets from glacier gold states.
Ol Chuck Lassiter seems to be doing pretty good, a guy I know pulled over an ounce last year and I personally have found some impressive spots.
I've found that the further south you go in the state the better the gold gets as drift thickness gets thinner and your closer to that sweet sweet bedrock. Also try and concentrate on Illinoian as opposed to wisconsinan deposits.
Happy hunting

Spencer2986

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any new updates? Im from the Canfield area and know exactly where you are referring to. Lots of Native American history On the mahoning river also.

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quite an old thread not sure if theyll reply, but im in austintown and been prospecting here a few years and have pulled some decent gold out of the creeks in mahoning and columbiana counties. IMG_0180.JPG

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quite an old thread not sure if theyll reply, but im in austintown and been prospecting here a few years and have pulled some decent gold out of the creeks in mahoning and columbiana counties. View attachment 1491171
Great job, Gold is where you fine it. I've found gold in Medina, Ashland, Stark, Lorain. Everywhere Glaciers left deposits. Have fun enjoy it. Don't become a tool like a lot of other ohio prospecters. Some strange one out there.

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job, Gold is where you fine it. I've found gold in Medina, Ashland, Stark, Lorain. Everywhere Glaciers left deposits. Have fun enjoy it. Don't become a tool like a lot of other ohio prospecters. Some strange one out there.

thanks joe. ya sometimes it makes no sense where ya find it, the pan in the pic was the first 2 ft of overburden then i dredged 3 more feet down to orange rusty bedrock and barely nothin! been meaning to try up north in lake county. know any dredge friendly areas?

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
Keene a52 with high/low flow gold hog mats.
11in. fry basket
5 gallon soy sauce buckets
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks joe. ya sometimes it makes no sense where ya find it, the pan in the pic was the first 2 ft of overburden then i dredged 3 more feet down to orange rusty bedrock and barely nothin! been meaning to try up north in lake county. know any dredge friendly areas?

Right!
I have been on this small creek close to where I live and sampled many places. Granted I'm new to prospecting but I was getting 2 to 7 specks every outing (gravel bars, grass patches) but then I stuck my shovel into the top of a bank with nothing but compact dirt/clay and BAM! 7 colors in one pan. Set up my sluice and ran 2 buckets and got 130 pieces.
Dude on YouTube called Luke ohio gold gave me the tip and it payed off. Cannot wait to sample the back end of this bank to see if this thing continues.

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blichney, not that I know of. I would like to hit up Lake county as well. My best day ever was 1/4 gram of gold. I might buy a Piglet next year will see. It's my son first year hunting so we have been out Dove,Squirrel hunting, Deer is in a few week. I'm not out to offend any Colorado urban sissy boys. I eat what I kill.....

Newbiedigger

Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often do u go down to the creek and dig my in laws lives just a few blocks from Here

blichney

May 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often do u go down to the creek and dig my in laws lives just a few blocks from Here

in the summer i try to go as much as possible. usually every other weekend here and a few trips south to swank and bills in between.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread