Help with dredge combo decision

Mar 16, 2014
I am in the NC triad area, new to prospecting and have access to several small creeks, big creeks and some river frontage. I a m trying to decide between the Keene or Proline 2.5" high banker dredge combo. I know I can put the Proline on a float kit and dive if I get that serious with it, not sure about the Keene. I like the price of the Keene better but don't want to get something that won't be as good for capturing the fine gold that I am most likely going to be dredging. Feedback from those with experience would be much appreciated. I am so new to prospecting I don't know anyone to gleen advice from. I just know it was pretty exciting to pan the three little specs from the creek in my backyard and first want to explore that before I venture out on friends farms. It took me several hours to find what I found, and feel like I need to be able to run a larger volume of material and get deeper in the creek. Thanks

Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
You should join a local club, get some first hand experience on what you like You can volunteer to shovel in several highbankers, get on the end of the dredge hose, and then you can make the best decison for what will work best for you and your spots. JMHO

Professional Miner

Nov 18, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good advice Oakview....

A mistake many not so seasoned prospector makes is believing that just because there is gold there I'm going to capture it... Sometimes it takes trial and error to find what you really like to use and what works best for your area.....40 years ago I'd swore I would never get out of the water and stop dredging....now I can't imagine myself going anything with a dredge...Now days its all heavy equipment....and it is all relative, no matter the size of your operation...try a few things first before setting your mind on what you perceive to be what you want to do...you may not even like the nozzle end of a dredge....or you may not like shoveling into a high banker...time, testing, trial and error will tell you what you should be using...or what you are personally best suited for...

But whatever you do....never give up....keep trying...keep going...

Professional Miner

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stick with your new piece of equipment long enough to learn its ins and outs. Get all the in-the-field advice you can. Hopefully you can connect with someone that's done some serious highbanking so that they can teach you some valuable tips and tricks to save you a lot of time and possibly some money as well.

Welcome to the hunt for the gold, and now that you've got a piece of equipment, all the best as you crank up your production level,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proline costs a bit more because it's built to last,has a real dredge setup,resales much higher also. You don't have to float as the legs extend quite far and you set the unit in about a couple a feet a water and good to go due to hose length. Great advice above as joining a club will shorten them nasty newbie lessons considerably,meet great mining folk and safety in numbers also is a huge factor-John

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll throw in my two cents worth. I started out with Keene and successfully used it for 20 years. It got gold and did the job. Later I acquired Proline and it is much sturdier....but heavier. And it gets gold. One thing I have found over the years: I can always upgrade and sell off my other equipment. In all cases I have sold my old equipment for more than I paid for it new (you have to love inflation and the rising costs of things).....and I take care of my gear so it is not junk when I sell it.

But both do the job and I have never wore out either brand.....and I still have both. But if you can find Proline for the same price as Keene I would go Proline. If you are going to mine every day I would suggest Proline....as John says it is "built to last".

Bejay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread