Twizzer and snuffer bottle advice?

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So after our first and so far only trip to the river I've realized the tweezers and snuffer bottle that came with the panning kit I bought are mediocre at best. So what should I upgrade to? I'm thinking some quality angled tweezers would sure make picking up the fly poop much easier. Perhaps I'll get to check out some options at the Gold Show on Saturday.

Camp

Upvote 0

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you show us a picture of what you have? Would be easier for us to answer if we could see your material. Sounds like, though you may have too much overburden left in your pan. Fill a pan or tub with water, and pan off as much material as possible, so as not to loose any gold. Personally, I have never found anything big enough to use a tweezer on. A 2 oz. snuffer is the best tool I have. Good luck to ya.
So after our first and so far only trip to the river I've realized the tweezers and snuffer bottle that came with the panning kit I bought are mediocre at best. So what should I upgrade to? I'm thinking some quality angled tweezers would sure make picking up the fly poop much easier. Perhaps I'll get to check out some options at the Gold Show on Saturday.

Camp

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Camp

You should be able to suck up most of your gold if you get it on the back rim by itself.
Picking up flypoop with tweezers just doesn't work really.
This video might help.

Go to 10 minute mark in this video.
It will talk about tapping... then the end of video will show you how to isolate it.
Doc

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Campngolf get with me during the dig this weekend and I will show you a few tricks about panning and snuffing. A lot of the gold you get in the lower areas is gone to be small specks and can hide in the black sand pretty easily.

Goldenmojo

IMG_1836.JPG

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Had to whip out the turkey baster on that one Mojo?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Campngolf get with me during the dig this weekend and I will show you a few tricks about panning and snuffing. A lot of the gold you get in the lower areas is gone to be small specks and can hide in the black sand pretty easily.

Goldenmojo

Mojo, I won't be able to make it to the dig but will be a the Gold Show Saturday.

Thanks for all the tips. I'm not that concerned with the teeny tiny gold but my daughter really likes get make sure she can get every last piece so she used the poorly make tweezers we had and I thought if she's gonna put in the effort, the least I could do would be to get her a nice set of tweezers.

Doc, thanks for the video link. I'll have to practice my tapping

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Campngolf, get a suction pipette aka suction tweezers either at your local prospecting shop or teacher's supply store...or even from your local doctor office (they are disposable). They retail for 0.50$ or less...really cheap in bulk and you can pick up the tiny gold specks really well with one :)

Last edited:

Hangtowndiggins

Oct 1, 2013
placerville ca
Detector(s) used
GBpro. BGT 48" miner, 36" prospector and super mini
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Campngolf, check out the Placerville hardware store booth, they are super friendly and will have all the cool little tools. Usually with purchase they throw in a sweet catalog full of awesome stuff, pick one up if you can. image.jpg

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tweezers are only good for gold that is slightly too small to pick up with fingers. The fine gold will all have to be snuffed.
When choosing a snuffer bottle get one with the most rigid sides as possible. The soft ones will not suck as hard especially when they are cold. Squeeze it and it should quickly pop back into shape. I prefer the rigid plastic tubes but the slightly bent tubes made of tubing are actually a bit larger so you can snuff larger gold.
The neck on the bottle should be tapered not square cut to aid in getting the gold out of the snuffer and into the vial
My favorite snuffer is made by proline.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread