Is this My Gold or is it a Fools Gold?

Audigger123

Greenie
Apr 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this My Gold or is it a Fool's Gold?

Hey guys. I sluiced about 10 gallons of material. It's never been tested or anything like that, and it comes from a pit. It's a dark sand. Upon close inspection you can see hints of shine in the dirt. It's mostly fine rocks.
I started to pan what was left of the 10 gallons of material I ran, keep in mind I have no experience and everything including my sluice and pan are homemade based on DIY's found on this very forum, and I've recovered the flakes that make the sand shine. Whether or not it's gold, I have no idea. I was hoping if you guys could help me identify exactly what it is. If you have any questions or would like more pictures let me know. I plan on getting it tested, but I'm going to be way to busy for at least a week.. Thanks guys. 20140426_221147.jpg 20140426_204729.jpg 20140426_204719.jpg 20140426_203848.jpg 20140426_183007.jpg 20140426_221304.jpg 20140426_220128.jpg Click on the second last photo to see a larger version, it's the largest flakes I have found.

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like it could be gold. Does it stay the same color in the shade as in the light or turn brown? Same is good, gold doesn't change colors. How does it move in the pan compared to other stuff when you swirl the water around? Gold is more dense than most everything else so it will sit still when other stuff starts to move when you swirl the water around. What happens if you press down on it with a screwdriver tip...gold won't shatter or crush, other stuff will.

Pass these tests and you can be pretty confident you have gold.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did the best I could to enhance the image. Unfortunately,
there's only so much you can do to sharpen an out-of-focus
image, but desaturating the blue background seemed to bring
out the gold color best.

20140426_221304-2.jpg

If I had the slightest doubt I'd take a knife edge to one of those
flakes and make sure. The largest gold flake looks legit, but I've
got a doubt about a couple of the others. Only way to know is
test it and see if it splits/cracks under pressure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Audigger123

Greenie
Apr 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the best I could to enhance the image. Unfortunately,
there's only so much you can do to sharpen an out-of-focus
image, but desaturating the blue background seemed to bring
out the gold color best.

View attachment 985862

If I had the slightest doubt I'd take a knife edge to one of those
flakes and make sure. The largest gold flake looks legit, but I've
got a doubt about a couple of the others. Only way to know is
test it and see if it splits/cracks under pressure.

Wow! Thanks DizzyDigger for all the work you put into your reply. I'll try to get some better pictures to upload. Thanks for the input, I'll try testing it with a knife/hammer/screwdriver and get back to you!

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy test for you.........
Take a pin....... yes like a sewing or clothing pin.
Press the point into the metal.
If you hear "click" and it "disappears" it's not gold.
(Good luck finding it again.)
If it sticks in it, it probably is.
Wear safety glasses and use a magnifying glass.
Pyrite is very hard like steel. The piece will usually fly away.
Doc

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another way is to get a hard flat surface, build a barrier like placing a smooth piece of cloth around the area, and putting the sample in the middle. Then roll a table spoon over it very firmly. If it shatters it pyrite. The barrier is to keep the specimen from flying off as you roll the spoon over it. the needle trick works as well but do it in the pan for the barrier. A smooth cloth.... well if it flies a terry cloth might not want to give it back and if it flies you can put the cloth in the pan and get your bit back.

if you have a metal pan you can do the same thing.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good tip Benny! (nice trichomes, btw, but looks like a
couple more weeks before it's "done")

I don't even own an Iphone, and still use my outdated
LG..lol Definitely worth a try for those that want a decent
close-up without a macro lens.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radio Shack sells a 30x pocket microscope for about ten bucks, you will find it a big help.

Also put a little dish washing soap in the water you are panning in to break the surface tension, the way it is beading up in those pics the fine gold can be picked up and float right out of your pan.

Good Luck.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Radio Shack sells a 30x pocket microscope for about ten bucks, you will find it a big help. Also put a little dish washing soap in the water you are panning in to break the surface tension, the way it is beading up in those pics the fine gold can be picked up and float right out of your pan. Good Luck.
This is a bit of a sidebar but Jetdry (or generic version) for automatic dishwashers is better than dish soap since you'll get less bubbles with the Jetdry.

Great tip on the cheap pocket microscopes!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A little nitric acid on your sample, should remove any doubt as to what you have. All seasoned prospectors should have this in their field kit along with your eye glass, it saves a lot of time trying to figure out what you have in your pan. As with any chemical safety.
Hope this helps n goodluck.
GT.....

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep that looks like Gold! possibly some mercury coated pieces or if you are lucky a flake or 2 of Platinum? anyway save it all... I have thrown out me precious stuff not knowing what it was...

OP
OP
A

Audigger123

Greenie
Apr 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input guys! Stay tuned because I just may have a macro lens kicking around and I'm planning on uploading some higher res photos here tomorrow

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold tramp where do you get nitric acid in kalifornia. you an pm me if you like. I can't find it locally and shipping kills you. highdesertranger

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's gold. The black pieces, not so sure, but there are about 15-20 pieces of gold in that pan.

Ace 250

Jul 8, 2012
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be gold. Does it stay the same color in the shade as in the light or turn brown? Same is good, gold doesn't change colors. How does it move in the pan compared to other stuff when you swirl the water around? Gold is more dense than most everything else so it will sit still when other stuff starts to move when you swirl the water around. What happens if you press down on it with a screwdriver tip...gold won't shatter or crush, other stuff will.

Pass these tests and you can be pretty confident you have gold.

It does change colors if gold the has a deferint metal .like copper and gold change it to a rose gold

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread