creek bars

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try some sample pans and see which area produces best

mike crash

Greenie
Apr 11, 2014
You should try just upstream of the sand . The heavier stuff would have dropped out before the sand .look for the rocks ect . Try to visual material in the main channel/current as it's traveling w water . Also. Dig. U may find. A gravel bed some inches/ft under that sand bar. W older heavier material. That's what I would be thinking/ looking for.

usher21

Mar 28, 2014
Modesto, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter "the Outback"
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sample! Sample! Sample! There was a video I saw on youtube. Get you some small flags that can be placed in the ground. Get three colors: red, yellow and green. Then sample the bar- upstream left and down the whole left side of the bar; the middle upstream all the way through the bar; the the right side. Sample in one area and move 1-2 feet over or down and sample again. Repeat this until whole bar has been sampled. Place flags- red none, yellow some, and green go and dig. Yep, it sure is time consuming but you will see your pay streaks. Then dig like made in the green areas, first and then yellow. May your pan be yellow! Mark

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For me it depends on when the gold was deposited.
If modern flood gold as mike mentioned find the bigger rocks. Also keep an eye out for flat glass and metal as these things require a lot of water to move.
If you use the same "flag technique" and mark each piece of metal and glass you'll be able to pick out streaks as well.
If (like my area) the gold was layed down long ago the yes you'll find tiny flood gold but you want to dig past the overburden to get to hard packed cobble.
Like others have said sample and dig... That's part of the fun and an important learning opportunity.
If you just ask where to dig all the time youll never appreciate the hunt.
Also a pic is worth 1000 words...

Last edited:

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd check the inside bends. Make sure you dig as close down to bedrock as possible.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd check the inside bends. Make sure you dig as close down to bedrock as possible.
phooey on this. In a small creek the gold can be almost anywhere. DesertNuggets advice is actually good but don't limit yourself to that. A small creek can do strange things during floods which is when the gold moves. Sample everything, even the sand!

OP
OP
jarocki

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (Tracker 4)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas and information