Im New at This .. Please Help .. Ozzie from Down under

Kazza

May 8, 2014
NSW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I am really desperate and a Newbie at that! I have just recently found .. very fine Gold foil like shavings after pulling a stump out of the ground for fire wood. Not noticing it at first until we had gone back and the sun hit the ground just at the perfect time for me and my partner to notice all the gold flickering from the dirt that came out of the ground by the stump roots.
We brought home a box of dirt so we could investigate it a little more (mind you I have just bought a property right next to an old open cut mine -and there are old mine shafts everywhere only metres of the fence line - I think it was one of the largest open cut in NSW Aust) Anyway.. we ran a handful of dirt through a sieve and there was loads of this "gold foil" but it is so thin that if you pressed it too hard on a rough surface it would leave like a gold coloured smudge.

I guess my question is;
How the Heck do ya separate this stuff from the dirt? keep in mind this stuff is as thin as "tobacco paper" some of it is even thinner and as fragile.
I haven't been game enough to try and separate it with water as I think it might wash out (have never used a pan! Ever!! and I don't even own a pan.. lol )

Would love to know your thoughts - and I am so sorry if this question has been asked many of times before.

Upvote 0

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Sounds like your finding Mica.the gold may flatten out when pressed down,but not leave a smudge.But the good news is that you have all these old shafts and mine workings on your land so many opportunities may await you.Buy some pans and or a used minelab detector,read books and ask questions and you should find some yellow.Good hunting mate.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kazaa, First off....Welcome to the site!:hello:

I'm almost afraid to say it, but based on your description
of it, I *believe* what you are finding is mica.

If you take a piece and press a knife edge into it does it
break or shatter?

There's loads of "How to" panning video's on YouTube,
so watch a few and then give it a go yourself.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The closer to home the source of your information the better off you are. Local conditions,rules,regs, and local mineralization most important. Lotza luck-John

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does it sink rapidly to the bottom of a glass of water? If it does its gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions