Is this a good spot? (pics included)

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This spot seems to be similar to areas ive seen other people say are good areas. But i spent a good 4 hours digging around and testing with pans coming up empty. So since i was running out of time i grabbed 5 buckets real quick to throw into my BGT, ended up finding 4 pieces, small, but coarse and rounded, not flat. Is this spot worth continuing to work in the forums opinion? it just looks like such a perfect spot, but then again i could be wrong, thanks in advance
SC1.jpg SC2.jpg SC3.jpg SC5.jpg SC4.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
tiny pieces of gold. specks. i have found better gold in other spots but this area looks like it holds potential. i left because i have better spots with better gold but none of them look like the layout of this spot. ive tried to do alot of research on ancient riverbeds in high bench areas an to me this looks like one. So i guess i should have clarified that

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get down to bedrock

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everyone always says that. ive tried digging down to bedrock before to no success. Would there be any way to tell how deep bedrock is, or is that a total crapshoot?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't believe that this area could ever produce any amount of gold worth anything. You should probably abandon it and not dig any further.

If you send me (privately) the coordinates of the location I'll double check and confirm that you should just abandon the spot.

Good luck with your other place, it sounds a lot more profitable.

...and don't dig on the inside of that bend, nothing there, complete waste of time.

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am gonna take your word for it, so dont think im doubting you. But what about this spot makes you say its not worth it? Im trying to learn as much as i can about reading areas

Portadrillmini

May 8, 2013
Blairsville, Ga 30512
Detector(s) used
MineLab Eureka Gold - 15" RockCrusher- PORTADRILLMINI Gold Driller Auger sampler Unit -Gold Lab Clean Gold Concentrator-5" Dredge-Keen A52 Sluice- BlueBowl Cons clean-up - Microwave Gold Kiln
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
try roasting your cons . then pan it again

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there is gold in the area, the spot your digging isn't it. 4 specs from
all that sampling + bucketfuls through the sluice just isn't worth investing
any further time in.

That is not to say there's no gold in the area...it's just not where you're
looking.

What I don't see in the pic is much in the way of rounded river rocks,
or a layer of gravel that could be a pay layer. When you are prospecting
a hillside like that look for areas where there is a concentration of large/small
rounded river rocks, as that could be an ancient creek bed.

G.I.B.: You can look at a set of coordinates and tell if there's gold there?
Guess I just don't get some comments.. :icon_scratch:

try roasting your cons . then pan it again

Why? 5 small specs from 25 gal. of material doesn't give the slightest indication
of there being a volume of super-fine gold locked up in the black sand. I also do a
lot of test panning, but if I sampled that area for a couple hours and came up with
bupkis...I'm outta there. Better ground is to be had, elsewhere, so ya just got to
go find it.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
okay... I'll explain it- looses something though

It looks like a good spot.

It was a tongue in cheek way of having him send me the lat/long of the spot.

Gold is where you find it.

oh- and mercury vapors are bad for the brain stem.

Portadrillmini

May 8, 2013
Blairsville, Ga 30512
Detector(s) used
MineLab Eureka Gold - 15" RockCrusher- PORTADRILLMINI Gold Driller Auger sampler Unit -Gold Lab Clean Gold Concentrator-5" Dredge-Keen A52 Sluice- BlueBowl Cons clean-up - Microwave Gold Kiln
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
try putting your cons under a microscope , there maybe microscopic gold. a little goes a long way when it all adds up. moss gold +100 mesh photo.JPG 400mesh.jpg IMG_0820.JPG

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking it would be a good idea to just move along. I would bake cons if i had any real cons, there was barely any black sand in the dirt. Last bit of info, if it helps. the claim owner says the area is known for course gold, not fines

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Coarse Gold is good! Others may not agree but to me, that means that it is not Placer Gold but coarse Gold that has eroded, broken away or been separated from a possible deposit. You may trying to high into the cutout, so try lower in the flats and don't be afraid to dig deep to see what is there. That may be 2 to 3 feet, 3 to 5 or even deeper but there may be much more coarse Gold in the flats that eroded out long ago. If you can find a pattern (i.e. where the heaviest concentrations are), then you may be able to follow the coarse Gold trail to a source and if so, bingo.

Frank

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice sence of humor GIB.Kinda sneaky too. The spot looks good. Course gold is good. You could have quit digging just one inch left and two inches too soon in depth from a nice pocket. If that is an old riverbed the bedrock could be inches or several feet below. I have a claim with an old riverbed that I am working. Bedrock was 14 to 20 feet below the surface. Lucky for me old timers hydraulice nice openings so I only had to dig down a few feet. I would recomend working it a little further. Dig at the bottom of the cut and a little back from the base.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Campngolf

Feb 4, 2014
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup. Move along... nothin' to see here.... or nothin' to find here i this case. (or not much)

rockygulchJoe

Jan 5, 2013
Looks like tailings to me. I have been fooled many times in the past, especially when thay are hard-packed whith trees and bushes growing on them. There could be some virgin-ground under the tailings, thats always a nice surprise.

I would look for some exposed bedrock. Thats where the easy money is. Just a thought.

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im getting mixed opinions here haha, seems to be two trains of thought happening. Im young and stubborn and reluctant to leave this spot because the gold ive found is course and has some substance to it, plus the area to me looks amazing. Im really wanting to force myself to believe there is great gold there. Anyone with good experience reading the ground care to elaborate on what looks like layering in the side of the hill?

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't believe that this area could ever produce any amount of gold worth anything. You should probably abandon it and not dig any further.

If you send me (privately) the coordinates of the location I'll double check and confirm that you should just abandon the spot.

Good luck with your other place, it sounds a lot more profitable.

...and don't dig on the inside of that bend, nothing there, complete waste of time.

I concur. Please also send me the cords. It's best to have a 3rd opinion. ;)

OP
OP
H

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it took me a while to pick up on the sarcasm of the whole send the coordinates joke :icon_scratch:. So by me receiving these comments i assume you all like the looks of the spot?

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it took me a while to pick up on the sarcasm of the whole send the coordinates joke :icon_scratch:. So by me receiving these comments i assume you all like the looks of the spot?

I like any spot that has gold.

I'd do some more testing. Different areas, topsoil, bedrock, cracks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread