I will be visiting my daughter in Mountain Home, Idaho this summer.....

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like to do some prospecting in the area but can't figure out what the regs are. I'd like to use my sluice, pan and maybe even bring my 12 volt powered highbanker if allowed.

I've been to the state sites and still am not sure as to what permits I need, what areas are open, when and what I can use in or around the rivers and streams..........Help
huh.gif

Upvote 0

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First, most but not all areas are claimed up. Some areas are completely closed to everything, even panning. This is Idaho, if caught claim jumping you could find your self standing in front of the buissness side of a gun. With that said, to run a highbanker, you need a stream channel alteration permit and others...epa permit also I think...

start here

Idaho Department of Water Resources

Idaho Small Suction Dredge Mining General Permit

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently tried to get a H/B permit from IDWR to use on unclaimed BLM. The dimwit behind the counter had no idea what high banking was and then insisted that I needed a permit from the BLM to prospect. I tried to tell him that the only permit I needed was my birth certificate. It got a little heated to say the least. I left before before I had to hand him out an *$$ whipping and end up in jail.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike ,a more constructive post: There are miles and miles of the Payette River that are open for prospecting. Even more so on the Snake. The Snake has some areas that have a lot of gold. It is annoyingly fine and extremely difficult to work but it's there none the less.G/L

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread