Jan 28, 2014
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett gold panning kit
Jobe 36 in drop riffle sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hi im a prospector in Georgia and i need some help on gold camps

ive seen prospectors in other states go to "gold camps" and i cant tell if their clubs pay-to-prospect places or public

also i cant find any kind of public place i can prospect and im almost there are from YouTube videos ive seen
any help is appreciated
thanks

Upvote 0

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i cant remember off of the top of my head but there is a place in Buchanan where you can sluice pan and dredge. If i remember correctly you could pay for a one day visit. members of the GPAA had a free entry and could bring a friend. this was a few years back though. ill see if i can find any recent information on it.

Edit: Found an old post for a club here in GA. been nearly 10 years ago but may offer some help
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...gia-gold-prospectors-association-acworth.html
here is the Buchanan information.
Orlando Florida GPAA - GPAA Buchanan Site

Last edited:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, thanks for the info! As a guest can we come try out panning and sluicing to see how we like it or is it just to come look around?

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as a guest you can pan only, but this gives you an opportunity to see what other people are doing and the equipment they are using.

OP
OP
T

Teenagegoldminer

Jan 28, 2014
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett gold panning kit
Jobe 36 in drop riffle sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as a guest you can pan only, but this gives you an opportunity to see what other people are doing and the equipment they are using.
i was really looking for a place where ican just walk in and prospect free of charge, but by the looks of it that does not exist is that correct

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Eh, you can go to any Joe Schmoes house that has creek property and just ask permision to tromp around in the creek and pan for fun. As long as you get permision, its free. If you dont get the permission before you do it, then it cost money... mainly in fines and bail out money ><

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We did a write up on our support forum a while back that helps explain GA laws and lands.
If you REALLY dig into it, there are no "public lands" that allow prospecting with anything other than a pan and small hand shovel.
Georgia OWNS the national forest within the state, therefore they fall into the DNR regs.
However you also need to keep in mind that much of the area on the National Forest land is designated as WMA areas.
(Wildlife Management Areas) Within those nothing is allowed.
There have been areas in the past people have worked claiming that it is legal because it's "county owned land" or land owned the the city.
However, if you contact the county / city you'll eventually find the right person that will tell you NO... it is not allowed.
This is mostly due to liability issues.
Also, some have tried to use the "easement" rule to prospect off road ways etc.
The downfall of that thought process is that mineral rights, as well as trespass and public access, are not covered under
a roadway easement.
In the end it's really 4 choices.
1-Knock on doors and ask for permission.
2-Join a club which is very reasonable.
3-Visit pay to play spots.
4-Or lease private land. (very expensive)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread