Black Water Gold

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We run the twin 9hp Hondas with the twin Proline HP500’s that came with our 6” Proline to recirculate the water from our settling pond back up into the main hole where the 4”Proline with the HP400 is running. We switch off using either the 4” or the 6” Dredge depending on whether or not we are trying to take it easy that day and what type of material it is we are trying to work. We run the 6” with the twin HP400’s because we’ve found that there is no need to run it with the twin HP500’s unless we are deep water dredging. When we are working the bedrock or checking tailings we use the 4” just to make sure we are getting the best recovery. Sometimes we have to bring in the 2½ to hit the crevices but we only run one dredge at a time because of the extremely low water situation. Black water diving is tough not only physically but emotionally as well and with the 2½” we have almost enough water to run for an hour in clean water, which makes seeing the gold real easy while letting the silt run out of the hole. Imagine yourself submerged in complete darkness for an hour and a half at a time between gas tank fill ups. One man is in the dark water lost in complete and total darkness while the other is out running everything up top. Jim or Tom & I switch off every day for at least a half day in the water. It is completely black, you can put your hand to your mask and see nothing so it is complete darkness. Imagine being blind and dredging, first you learn how to feel, your senses become intense because you need to find the boulders along side of you and then strap them in the dark to move them before they fall on you. When you are alone under black water and a rock falls on you, nobody will hear it or be able to see it from above.

6 12 2004 004.jpg 6 12 2004 012.jpg 6 12 2004 027.jpg

When we first started out there were posts exposed which turned out to be the up rights for the beginning of the old 800ft hydraulic sluice box which was still buried under here from the 1800’s. I have worked the box out that is exposed down stream but I had never looked for the beginning of the box because it’s located where there is no water whatsoever. My family and a friends family have been mining in this same area for well over 140 years now and first rediscovered the old original sluice box in the early 60’s after a friend told us the story of how it got buried in a flash flood just before they were able to clean it up for the season that last time. By the time the flood was over the sluice was buried under many feet of tailings that were washed down over the top of it from a mine up stream. So they dredged a little back then in the 60's but not much because it was buried under 30 feet of tailings by then.

Claim 4 9 2004 012.jpg Claim 4 9 2004 010.jpg Claim 4 9 2004 003.jpg Claim 4 9 2004 015.jpg

The canyon continues to produce year after year though recently it hasn’t produced more than ¼oz a day with the 4” but it has nice beautiful course nuggets, which keep bringing us back every year. The only drawback is having to dive under that pitch black water.

2013-01-22 10.51.52.jpg Gold 022.jpg

We were looking at the chance of a lifetime with the uprights being exposed. We are finding gold by the pound. My personal best day before this was 3½oz sniping up the stream here about 15 years ago. Then I pulled out 1¾oz with a little 2” back pack dredge from the same hole. Back in the late 60’s with an 8” dredge the best day was 14oz with 10oz days being normal for quite a few years. That's over a pound of gold in one day, on the best day ever back then when they had set it up the day before to hit it hard before it caved in on them. In the 1880’s this was an active hydraulic mine. Thousands of ounces were taken out of here back then but we can’t hydraulic legally in that spot anymore so we dredge legally when we have water because everything is contained and no water can get into any river as it goes underground a few yards down stream. My great uncle was born up on the ridge back in 1878 and I still have my Great Grandmothers diary from when they lived here. His wife was the only person to ever witness a murder when they were both children back when this was an active hydraulic mine.

day1 001.jpg Claim 5 22 to 26 2004 023.jpg DCP02866.JPG

Here’s a picture of our 6”Proline. Look under the water beneath it and you can see what looks like part of an old fence. This area has been buried under 40ft of hydraulic tailings since they quit hydraulicing up river back in the 1930’s. So as you can see these days in California the rivers are finally starting to return to their original pristine beauty as the tailings continue on their way down stream toward San Francisco Bay.

Dredge 002.jpg Dredge 001.jpg Dredge 003.jpg

When we dredged down here, which is about 60ft down stream from the first post that I saw, I hit another part of the sluice box. Uncovering who knows how many pounds of gold once again. The stream has been running over this box since it was built and the riffles were all in place down stream and packed with pounds of gold. How many times in your life do you get to take a chance like this. It was like we were looking for buried treasure that we knew was there. We’ve all had wild and crazy dreams of gold and riches many times in our lives & I could never ask for more. We figured it was there, and it was there, life is good.

day2 002.jpg day2 004.jpg day4 001.jpg pic 8.jpg

Then we found the contact zone. Here’s Jim pictured with me in the water working the hole down. Look in the upper right hand corner and you can see the decomposing quartz vein that we are starting to follow down. It’s a great looking contact zone and we have pulled quite a few ounces of gold out of it so far and we haven’t even hit bottom yet. All of the nuggets and specimens that we are getting are coming from an old vein up on the hill that we will uncover sometime in the future when we get time. There is an old lode mine above us just a bit out of site on the hill which produced nice gold, but the specimen nuggets we are finding come from a different vein still hidden up there somewhere. Here are some more pics below. The blue lay flat hose is being held in place under water in the top hole by having it hooked into my 8” power jet.

Dcp02449.jpg
6 12 2004 001.jpg 6 12 2004 003.jpg 6 12 2004 015.jpg 6 12 2004 024.jpg

Then last but not least here is a pic of some of the gold from there. This truly was our greatest treasure hunt and in the end we ended up cleaning out over 50 feet of the old sluice and we have taken out many pounds of gold from there for many years. So ask yourself. if you were given a chance to dredge for gold in total darkness, would you do it? I've dredged many hours and even fell asleep underwater in total darkness once & then I have dredged in the middle of the night when the heat of the summer kicked in. We had lights and everything set up on shore and for the diver it didn't matter whether it was day or night because once your head slipped under the water even a few inches, there was no light shining from above. In that hole under the 6" dredge was when I fell asleep on the bottom. I had found the side wall of the box and had worked for many hours when all of a sudden I woke up.

DSCF0008.JPG Gold 2004 002.jpg Gold 2004 005.jpg Gold 2004 011.jpg

The strangest thing about waking up under water in the dark is that you have no idea whether you are even looking down because you are floating weightlessly trapped inside the muddy water. I sat there for a second because only my feet were on the ground, then I started feeling around and got my bearings. It took a few seconds to figure out which way was up but I did find the balance point and I started for the surface without having to drop a weight belt. I came up and Tom asked me what had happened because even though I did fall asleep for maybe 10 minutes, the nozzle was in my hand and it kept sucking up material though not as much as normal. he was wondering why I had slowed down so much. It was when a large cobble stuck to the nozzle that I was suddenly awakened by the jolt.

So is diving in black water worth it?
I would do it again anytime :treasurechest:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing. Dennis

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great . Glad its a guy like reed that gets to work a spot like that!!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In dayz of old when miners were bold, and environutz were not invented, brave young men attacked the gold in the most horrendous conditions imagineable. Like a picture of the 49rs of so long ago-nevermore say the friggn' FW-John

Attachments

• 05-31-2011 08;41;40AM.JPG
    05-31-2011 08;41;40AM.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 02-28-2013 07;15;44PM.JPG
    02-28-2013 07;15;44PM.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 182
  • 100_0646.JPG
    100_0646.JPG
    607.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_0364.jpg
    100_0364.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_0371.jpg
    100_0371.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 140

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Them twin VW motors must have moved some material and as always Reed thanks for the tagalong:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can imagine those great pics and stories in a future museum. "These professional miners raised families with gold recovered from the watersheds before they were outlawed." "The gold is still there folks". And the price of admission to this museum - 20 bucks in Food Stamps. :BangHead:

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Reed and John

Thanks for the pictures- Really great story!!!
Sad in a way- reminds us that we have lost so much freedom from years ago.

George

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Its past time for getting inventive in our ways! as John has said," the sickness is spreading!" we can either bow down to these wacoenviromentalists or we can stand up and fight it head on while being smart about it! they've got lots of "OUR" money to fight this, and we only have those that will fight! Its your choice!

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your nuts...

are much bigger than mine will ever be!

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Reed doesn't mention here is, that in addition to lbs of gold, he has removed 100's of gallons of liquid mercury thru the years also. If this was a sane and common sense world, he would be given an "Environmentalist of the Decade" award.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I would swim naked with gators to get a nozzle over some ground like that. Whoops, did I say that out loud:laughing7:

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn I miss dredging. Awesome story. Would I dredge in the dark? Been there, done that and would love to do it again, especially with the results you're seeing. Have fun and be safe!

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Reed doesn't mention here is, that in addition to lbs of gold, he has removed 100's of gallons of liquid mercury thru the years also. If this was a sane and common sense world, he would be given an "Environmentalist of the Decade" award.

Yup, for many years I never saw the gold until I retorted the mercury off of it. I gave mercury away by the jar full. I once watched at least 5lbs of mercury start pouring out of the canyon wall and into the crack that I was working. It came out like water from a spigot... The old miners didn't plan on floods destroying their entire year there at the end of the hydraulic era but it worked out great for me. The 3rd vial in the top row is nugget burn. I burn the mercury off of the nuggets with nitric and this is the small particles of gold dust that were stuck to the nuggets and caught in the mercury. Then in the bottom row on the left is the gold covered with 1880's mercury just the way it came out of the river bed in the old wooden sluice. Then to the right of that & below the burned gold are the nuggets that came out of the merc. They turn back to silver colored over time as the mercury seeps out of the pores of the gold. So you have to burn the merc off of the nuggets at least 3 times to get them to where they will stay their beautiful golden color like you see in the other antique vials. The case that you are looking at was an old pharmaceutical supply box that the salesmen would carry to different pharmacies full of the powdered chemical samples for the pharmacists to try out. The caps are a metal with a cork seal. So I keep my smaller gold in these old glass vials in this case.

DSCF0008.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread