By-Products from prospecting in Llano TX

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While doing even more research on the Llano uplift before this weekends trip (leave tomorrow) I read of Topaz being found. Both colorless and light blue. I have several pieces of stone that I am not sure of but they look like the pictures I saw (colorless).
From what I read Texas Topaz is expensive in the gem world as it is rarer than in other parts of the country.
Question would be, Anyone familiar with Topaz and its associated value? Sure would be nice to be able to cover costs of my gold adventures.

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F/F something else to keep your eyes open for down there would be fossils.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multi pronged attack is always the best-no gold well look for gems/minerals,none a them relics fill the wallet just fine also also. None of all 3 well beer time :occasion14: John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Multi pronged attack is always the best-no gold well look for gems/minerals,none a them relics fill the wallet just fine also also. None of all 3 well beer time :occasion14: John
its always beer time John! ;)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the gems are in the Brady/Mason area. Any of the small rock shops or antique stores stock cut and uncut Topaz and Garnet. I have found both in the creeks outside of Brady and some silver too. The silver is small, usually flat, black rocks in the streams. Scratch/scrape it with a knife and watch it shine. Topaz, when cut can run several hundred dollars or more. There are a couple of ranches that let you dig for it(for a fee). Haven't been out gem hunting in years, but I'm sure they aren't all gone. As for gold, the Llano does have gold, but it takes a lot of patience to get it. Sandy Creek, south of Llano(HWY16) has what I heard called powder gold. Hard to make a profit. The Llano is your best bet. Good luck from an old timer who has been there and done that...

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone.

Austin, I read about those ranches. I, like you want to be one of those old timers who has been there and done that. Not looking to make money gold prospecting but thought maybe the Topaz could fund some trips for me. I want to get out west and into the Colorado region to see some of those real nuggets and heavy pans. Gotta watch my pennies so I will have dollars in a few years when I retire. I have no problem driving all night if I need to get to a golden area or any area that will offer me a new and exciting adventure that involves mother nature in all her glory. These days I can sit in the outdoors and watch squirrels playing for hours as the birds dash in and out of the trees or walk a mile up the Llano river looking for a speck of color. Teaching everyone I know to slow down and enjoy there lives while they can since through personal experience I know it can be over before you can snap your fingers.
Car is packed for Llano and I leave in 2 hours for a 4 day gold, arrowhead, Topaz and who knows trip before returning to work on Monday.

Have a safe and memorable weekend all and remember its not the material things you leave behind but the lives you can touch while here.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Teaching everyone I know to slow down and enjoy there lives while
they can since through personal experience I know it can be over before you can snap your fingers.

You are a very wise man, Ron. We often tell people about what
life can be like when they slow down and listen to Good 'Ol Ma
Nature, but the lifestyles of so many today run at a fever pitch.
To them, slowing down means potentially less income, and they
just can't handle the thought of that in such a competitive world.

I try to tell folks that Nature's not in any hurry at all, so slow down,
take a deep breath, do what you can do.. but keep it all in perspective.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone.

Austin, I read about those ranches. I, like you want to be one of those old timers who has been there and done that. Not looking to make money gold prospecting but thought maybe the Topaz could fund some trips for me. I want to get out west and into the Colorado region to see some of those real nuggets and heavy pans. Gotta watch my pennies so I will have dollars in a few years when I retire. I have no problem driving all night if I need to get to a golden area or any area that will offer me a new and exciting adventure that involves mother nature in all her glory. These days I can sit in the outdoors and watch squirrels playing for hours as the birds dash in and out of the trees or walk a mile up the Llano river looking for a speck of color. Teaching everyone I know to slow down and enjoy there lives while they can since through personal experience I know it can be over before you can snap your fingers.
Car is packed for Llano and I leave in 2 hours for a 4 day gold, arrowhead, Topaz and who knows trip before returning to work on Monday.

Have a safe and memorable weekend all and remember its not the material things you leave behind but the lives you can touch while here.

If you get this check it out, if not next trip. I was visitng with an old UT geologist years ago. We talked about Llano gold. There are folks that dredge and do pretty good. And then he asked me where that gold came from. If there is color, where did it come from? Long story short, he thought there were some decent veins NW of Llano. We started looking at a county map and there are some creeks up on the county line that he told me to check out. I never did. Most run through private property, but there is some access. You can go up a waterway in Texas or at least you could back in the day. I always wondered about that old story of the Rangers getting lost and then finding a creek or pool full of gold. Again, I just never took the time to search. But I always thought it sounded plausible...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions