Prospecting in NE GA ?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You may want to check on the rules and regulations for where you are going to pan for Gold. While I don't know the specifics, it has been mentioned here on TNnet, that Gold prospecting is prohibited in some locations. Also, I do not know whether this is on State or Federal Lands or both. Of course if you are panning on private lands, you should be okay as long as you get permission to pan on any lands that you do not own. The Hiawassee area should be in the known areas where Gold is and has been found. In fact, Gold is found in both Cherokee and Clay Counties in North Carolina and many streams and rivers flow into Chatuge Lake. Considering this and that Gold should be in your area, I would imagine that quite a few of the creeks, streams and rivers on the Georgia side of the lake, have Gold in them. You are also in a very good area to find gems, so don't throw any classified rocks and stones until you have checked them. If my memory serves me correctly, you are in a good location where Amethyst and Garnets can be found and probably Rubies, Sapphires and possibly even Emeralds and a lot more.

Good luck and if you go out and pan for Gold and find some Gold and/or Gems, please come back and let us know! Also, take extreme care as there are probably Rattlesnakes both Eastern Diamond Backs and the black Mountain Timber Rattlers as well as Copperheads in your area! It might be wise to invest in some good Snake Gaitors (Chaps).

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread