New place to find gold

Hello everyone, (sorry for the long length...I'm just an excited newbie)

I've been reading this forum for about 4 months now. I got a BH Discovery 2200 for Christmas and have used it a few times. However, what I really want to do is pan/sluice/dig for gold. Last summer I went up to the Bear and American rivers near Auburn Ca. Got some gold and had a fun time with the family.

Recently, I have been doing some landscaping of the yard. One of the materials I am using are large cobbles. These rocks are fairly round/smooth about 6-10". While laying in bed the other night, it came to me that these are the exact types of rocks that I see in the ancient river beds up in the Sierra. So I wondered if there might be some gold mixed in with them.

Well, I went to the landscape supply place today and bought another 1/2 ton of the cobbles to finish up the landscape job. As I was waiting for the rocks to be loaded, I asked the manager of the yard if he knew where the cobbles came from and if anyone ever found gold. He said that the cobbles came from the Sierra foothills and that he had heard stories of people finding small gold nuggets in with their loads on a few rare occassions.

I asked the yard manager if I could shovel up some of the sand that was at the bottom of the cobble pile and he said "sure". So along with the 1/2 ton of cobbles (which by the way are covered with mud, sand and dirt), I scooped up some of the sandy mud along the bottom of the pile.

When I got home, I washed a bunch of cobbles in a bucket of water before placing them in the landscaping. After awhile, I rinsed the sand/gravel in the bucket and then panned it. Here is a picture of what I got (hopefully I post the picture correctly). A few bits of gold. Sorry about the fuzziness. I need to learn how to take a better macro picture. Anyhow, the moral of this story...there is gold everywhere, even in landscaping rocks!

Attachments

• gold bits.jpg
    gold bits.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread