Gold in Tennessee? Is it worth it?

bubba4289

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently live in Indiana. We don't have alot of gold up here. I have tried out brown county once(panning) and found a few flakes and I've been wanting to get back and try it again... But I'll soon be moving to Tennessee. To the Knoxville area to be specific. I was wondering if anyone knows how the gold mining is down that way? Also would investing in a dredge be worth it? I'm not expecting to get rich, but would like to be able to atleast pay for my dredge in a season or two. A final question.. What would a beginner dredge run me? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dredges are for more experienced prospectors
Anything less than a 3 inch is useless(you could shovel more) get a mini highbanker or stream sluice
And from knoxville it might be worth your time to drive to georgia
Or north carolina for more gold
I know monroe county tenessee is really the only place in tenesse where gold is found

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what I understand from the Gold Hog forum, at least dredges are outlawed in Tenn., don't know about highbanking, but sluicing, and panning are viable.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you might want to look at gem stone hunting instead.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you find the right spot, there is Gold in East Tennessee. Folks are still prospecting on Coker Creek and some get decent amounts of Gold, while the majority don't. There are other areas in the South Cherokee (Tellico District) National Forest where you can prospect and sometimes find some Gold. Also, prospecting has been ongoing on the Little River around Townsend for some time. The good thing about living in the Knoxville area is that you are not extremely far from some decent prospecting locations in North Carolina and Georgia. I live in Jefferson City and prospect in Southeast Tennessee and North Carolina as often as possible.

By the way, dredges were off-limits for a specific period in the South Cherokee NF but are now being allowed unless something has happened (new regulations, rules, permits, etc.) that I am unaware of. In the North Cherokee NF, nothing but pans are allowed.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread