fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a golden retriever, that's a start. Problem is he just hangs out on the dredge.

image-4137138863.jpg

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a dog hang out with me all day once. He helped clear the Bazooka tailings and was digging breaking large cobbles from the stream bank. Overall pleasure to mine with!

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other problem I had was when I was throwing rocks out of the hole he would just bring them back, LOL!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
She cant find gold but she like standing in the sluice to look for it
dredge dog (Small).jpg

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yes you can train your dog to find gold. There was an old timer in California who made some serious money with his gold sniffing dog "Rusty". He would go to a tourist area where there were a lot of newbies panning. He then would release "Rusty". Sure enough the dog would stop, sniff and start to dig. Then he would quickly dig up a nugget. By this time a small crowd had gathered to watch his dog dig nuggets. The old timer would leave after digging up several nuggets but not before selling some of the spots where "Rusty" had indicated a nugget.

So you too can make some serious money training your dog to dig nuggets.
(Just remember to bury the bacon at least 2 inches below your nugget)

George

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I spent....too much for prospecting. My dogs were pretty good sniffing out trails that lead to where the gold used to be. Does that count?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to be the rainy parade guy but gold does not have a scent that dogs can trace, this is a very old question, once with a simple "Nope" as an answer.

Now you can train your dog to seek out rust smells or that of lead and hope that where iron and lead has settled that some gold has too.
The dog can also be trained to smell gold sulfides as they do have a scent too.

But as for raw gold, it does not have a scent.

OP
OP
clv

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I though that might be the case, or there would more dogs out hunting gold than miners.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy I know lived in a resort town with a lot of bars. He trained his dog to sniff out and retrieve paper money. I was with him one night after last call and he sent his dog out into town when it quieted down. Dog returned a half hour later with a small wad of bills that some drunk had dropped, was $62.00!! He said the best his dog had done was a little over $100 in a night, although he also came back without any money often. That dog was always treated very well!!

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I showed my dog a nugget and the little fart tried to eat! Maybe gold has no scent, but my dog has no sense!!! I bet he'd try to claim jump too!!! Lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread