Do i need to have a permit to carry visible side arm in Arizona & New Mexico?

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They will only charge you if you corner them and you give them no opportunity to escape. As others have said their eyesight is poor but they can smell you a 1/2 mile away and will disperse if the wind is at your back and your walking towards them. Jerry Day a retired AZGF Research Biologist spent his entire carrier studying the Javalina on the Three Bar. He has concluded that they live and die within 1 square mile of where they are born. The herds will never go over 32 Javalina's. Very seldom will a herd allow another javalina from a another herd join their herd. I once encountered a herd of 27 when Coues Deer hunting. They were on the same game trail as I and we were face to face within 5 feet of each other. I move upwards to another game trail and watched within 10 feet the entire herd pass below me.

Javalina <<<<PDF LINK

J1.jpg J2.jpg J3.jpg J4.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Auto correct is a pain... Just saying. Only reason I fired the shots was because I didn't have a way to get outta the wash those Javelina came up behind me in.
They were not inclined to leave when I tried to get'em to shoo away and there were young ones in the group. Bad juju in my opinion and my last option.
The only other reason I have for carrying out bush is so that I have a signal device. I carry a whistle as well.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Auto correct is a pain... Just saying. Only reason I fired the shots was because I didn't have a way to get outta the wash those Javelina came up behind me in.
They were not inclined to leave when I tried to get'em to shoo away and there were young ones in the group. Bad juju in my opinion and my last option.
The only other reason I have for carrying out bush is so that I have a signal device. I carry a whistle as well.

They came up behind you cause you were quiet and the wind was at your backside. Most likely they did not see you. As I said above I stood face to face with the lead Javalina. He did not know what I was and he was not about to turn the entire herd around. Remember just because these are wild animals does not give anyone a right to shoot them. There is a season for them, Archery and Firearm seasons. Again they will not charge you unless you do not give them an escape route. They are protective of their young just like any other animal, but they are more afraid of you.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just to show you how tough these Javalina are. This poor Javalina was arrowed and has survived with a broken arrow embedded. I am happy to say the Javalina was rehabbed and survived.

J5.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tough? Their favorite food is Prickly Pear cactus. They eat it like it's candy. :laughing7:

Barry you should see what a herd of Javalina does to a golf course. They will turn the grass upside down to get to the root balls under the Mesquite trees. I watch a pack of 7 Javalina's destroy a Century (Agave) plant by digging under the plant to get to the root ball. The plant had already spike its center spike. They had dug 3 feet down and the plant finely toppled over. Photo is very large, click on it a few times.

Century Plant.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never said I shot them AZ. I fired 3 rounds over them and scared them off. I know they are short sighted and have good ears. Just like dogs they don't like loud noise and just like most animals when with young I can reasonably expect them to be aggressive. When a critter don't get the message of a few hollers and a couple of rocks chucked at'em and they keep showing up~ yep bang bang bang. Works well on stray dogs too... but you don't see them bush.

Javelina are about my only concern. I've had them show up many times with little difficulty shoo'n them away. The group I am talking about just didn't get the message. I've a high regard for not killing unless I'm going to be eating and in that regard what rattlers I kill are coming home for dinner just like the jack rabbits, cotton tails, quail and doves. I'm not inclined to eat Javelina.

If your going to carry its best you also have a small game license in AZ. Especially if your going to cross State Land.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be more concern of a Rattlesnake bit than a Javalina chasing me down or following me. Your chances of encountering Rattlesnake are much greater than having to deal with Javalina. Don't take a shower for a few weeks then go prospecting, problem solved.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
One final note on Javalina.....if you come upon them suddenly and scare them, they often run the direction they are facing towards. This is why many people think they are being charged by this weird animal. They are certainly rather near sighted, but can smell and hear very well. Dennis

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be more concern of a Rattlesnake bit than a Javalina chasing me down
or following me. Your chances of encountering Rattlesnake are much greater than having to deal with Javalina.

100% spot-on...them buzz-tails are far more serious of an issue than
those little porkers.

Don't take a shower for a few weeks then go prospecting, problem solved.

Yep...that'll work. The wife boots ya out of the house til ya decide to wash,
so you've got an open-ended pass to go prospecting...Damn good idea! :occasion14:

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Them pecary are a lot tastier than than the old buzz tails too. Used to hunt them as a kid between lake pleasant and castle hot springs. Mmm pig on a spit is hard tobeat.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I guess some things are just beyond me.. Having spent a lot of time in the some pretty remote places. I honestly say and believe I have better chances of suffering injury to the terrain then I do from the wildlife..Hell I am willing to bet I stand better odds of winning the lottery then getting attacked by a bear or such..
But truthfully I honestly believe it really doesn't come down protection!! More ignorance.. NEEDLESS FEAR..
I feel safe in the woods the cities not so much.. I personally don't carry a gun in either places..
I do carry bear spray. And I have ever yet to use it.

Hard Prospector
I never enter the desert or woods without gun, knife and lighter. I refuse to take a chance at being victomized especially if my kids are along.

I don't even know what to think from that statement..

Mother Nature nor it's critters can Victimize anything.. Are you speaking of people?

It seems to me if people were really concerned about their well being and their families they would be taking steps to "ACTUALLY PROTECT THEM" Not for the rarest of events but the common.. May I suggest First aid Training/ Wilderness survival and a whole slew of other things that one can better ensure the safety of yourselves and family. And by far more effective results then a gun would ever bring you..

Also let me point out that their are multiple non lethal weapons one can use to stop man and beast.. Why neglect these Items? Maybe you think they are not effective.. Well if your goal is to kill something You are absolutely right.. but if your goal is safety then it would seem these would be very pratical and often less heavy.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems to me if people were really concerned about their well being and their families they would be taking steps to "ACTUALLY PROTECT THEM" Not for the rarest of events but the common.. May I suggest First aid Training/ Wilderness survival and a whole slew of other things that one can better ensure the safety of yourselves and family. And by far more effective results then a gun would ever bring you..

Also let me point out that their are multiple non lethal weapons one can use to stop man and beast.. Why neglect these Items? Maybe you think they are not effective.. Well if your goal is to kill something You are absolutely right.. but if your goal is safety then it would seem these would be very pratical and often less heavy.

The only thing thats going to stop a determined man with a gun is another determined man with a gun.Knowing basic first aid is common sense and knowing and having survival skills is also,if heading out into no where.Common sense also says bring a weapon for self defense.A gun can feed you when all else fails to do so.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
So many get in trouble as they fail to understand that nature is indifferent.

rocme44

Sep 4, 2013
AZ, N.CA
Detector(s) used
AT, Goldbug2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Must be in holster or some container while in car. It can be exposed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess some things are just beyond me.. Having spent a lot of time in the some pretty remote places. I honestly say and believe I have better chances of suffering injury to the terrain then I do from the wildlife..Hell I am willing to bet I stand better odds of winning the lottery then getting attacked by a bear or such..
But truthfully I honestly believe it really doesn't come down protection!! More ignorance.. NEEDLESS FEAR..
I feel safe in the woods the cities not so much.. I personally don't carry a gun in either places..
I do carry bear spray. And I have ever yet to use it.

Hard Prospector
I never enter the desert or woods without gun, knife and lighter. I refuse to take a chance at being victomized especially if my kids are along.

I don't even know what to think from that statement..

Mother Nature nor it's critters can Victimize anything.. Are you speaking of people?

I always carry when in the wilderness, I have been in some pretty remote areas and many times had my wife with me.

It is my job to protect my wife 24\7.... There are wild animals in the wilderness and some of them walk on 2 legs.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems to me if people were really concerned about their well being and their families they would be taking steps to protect them from the common emergencies. Not for the rarest of events but the common.. May I suggest First aid Training/ Wilderness survival and a whole slew of other things that one can better ensure the safety of yourselves and family. And by far more effective results then a gun would ever bring you to cure the most common emergencies.

I agree with this part of your statement Marshall. The little bit I changed is in color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread