Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Do i need to have a permit to carry visible side arm in Arizona & New Mexico?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    1541 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Like Russ says : situational awareness. G/L

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    2698 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    open carry is just that open carry --now the real question --do you need a permit to open carry in New Mexico and Arizona ?
    Last edited by ivan salis; Aug 26, 2014 at 06:38 PM.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    4369 times
    Prospecting
    russau likes this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot
    6866 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Here anyone can open carry. But if you conceal you must have a permit.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    6903 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis View Post
    open carry is just that open carry --now the real question --do you need a permit to open carry in New Mexico and Arizona ?
    No and No.
    gusser likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting in the southwest?
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2075 times
    Prospecting
    They will only charge you if you corner them and you give them no opportunity to escape. As others have said their eyesight is poor but they can smell you a 1/2 mile away and will disperse if the wind is at your back and your walking towards them. Jerry Day a retired AZGF Research Biologist spent his entire carrier studying the Javalina on the Three Bar. He has concluded that they live and die within 1 square mile of where they are born. The herds will never go over 32 Javalina's. Very seldom will a herd allow another javalina from a another herd join their herd. I once encountered a herd of 27 when Coues Deer hunting. They were on the same game trail as I and we were face to face within 5 feet of each other. I move upwards to another game trail and watched within 10 feet the entire herd pass below me.

Javalina <<<<PDF LINK

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	1044083 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	297.2 KB 
ID:	1044084 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	140.0 KB 
ID:	1044085 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J4.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	527.2 KB 
ID:	1044086
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    3824 times
    DD thankyou for this link! I now have it stored in my computer!

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1095 times
    Metal Detecting
    Auto correct is a pain... Just saying. Only reason I fired the shots was because I didn't have a way to get outta the wash those Javelina came up behind me in.
    They were not inclined to leave when I tried to get'em to shoo away and there were young ones in the group. Bad juju in my opinion and my last option.
    The only other reason I have for carrying out bush is so that I have a signal device. I carry a whistle as well.
    Last edited by DDancer; Aug 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

Charter Member
    us
    Minning Tools: 12" Trommel, Royal Drywasher, Viper-Vac, Miller Table, Blue Bowl, Footprints, Google Earth, These Are Just Tools As You Still Have To Be On The Gold

Sep 2012
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
    2075 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DDancer View Post
    Auto correct is a pain... Just saying. Only reason I fired the shots was because I didn't have a way to get outta the wash those Javelina came up behind me in.
    They were not inclined to leave when I tried to get'em to shoo away and there were young ones in the group. Bad juju in my opinion and my last option.
    The only other reason I have for carrying out bush is so that I have a signal device. I carry a whistle as well.
    They came up behind you cause you were quiet and the wind was at your backside. Most likely they did not see you. As I said above I stood face to face with the lead Javalina. He did not know what I was and he was not about to turn the entire herd around. Remember just because these are wild animals does not give anyone a right to shoot them. There is a season for them, Archery and Firearm seasons. Again they will not charge you unless you do not give them an escape route. They are protective of their young just like any other animal, but they are more afraid of you.
    Last edited by AzViper; Aug 27, 2014 at 07:39 PM.
    DizzyDigger and russau like this.
    “He who builds their own equipment has a better understanding of what works and what does not work”

Charter Member
    us

Sep 2012
    2075 times
    Prospecting
    Just to show you how tough these Javalina are. This poor Javalina was arrowed and has survived with a broken arrow embedded. I am happy to say the Javalina was rehabbed and survived.

Name:	J5.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	1044498
    DizzyDigger likes this.

May 2012
    507 times
    Arizona | OpenCarry.org

That's the AZ page, opencarry org covers all the states if you're traveling.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    6903 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by AzViper View Post
    Just to show you how tough these Javalina are.
    Tough? Their favorite food is Prickly Pear cactus. They eat it like it's candy.

Charter Member
    us

Sep 2012
    2075 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Tough? Their favorite food is Prickly Pear cactus. They eat it like it's candy.
    Barry you should see what a herd of Javalina does to a golf course. They will turn the grass upside down to get to the root balls under the Mesquite trees. I watch a pack of 7 Javalina's destroy a Century (Agave) plant by digging under the plant to get to the root ball. The plant had already spike its center spike. They had dug 3 feet down and the plant finely toppled over. Photo is very large, click on it a few times.

Name:	Century Plant.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1044671

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1095 times
    Metal Detecting
    Never said I shot them AZ. I fired 3 rounds over them and scared them off. I know they are short sighted and have good ears. Just like dogs they don't like loud noise and just like most animals when with young I can reasonably expect them to be aggressive. When a critter don't get the message of a few hollers and a couple of rocks chucked at'em and they keep showing up~ yep bang bang bang. Works well on stray dogs too... but you don't see them bush.

Javelina are about my only concern. I've had them show up many times with little difficulty shoo'n them away. The group I am talking about just didn't get the message. I've a high regard for not killing unless I'm going to be eating and in that regard what rattlers I kill are coming home for dinner just like the jack rabbits, cotton tails, quail and doves. I'm not inclined to eat Javelina.

If your going to carry its best you also have a small game license in AZ. Especially if your going to cross State Land.
    Last edited by DDancer; Aug 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

Charter Member
    us

Sep 2012
    2075 times
    Prospecting
    I would be more concern of a Rattlesnake bit than a Javalina chasing me down or following me. Your chances of encountering Rattlesnake are much greater than having to deal with Javalina. Don't take a shower for a few weeks then go prospecting, problem solved.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links