Do i need to have a permit to carry visible side arm in Arizona & New Mexico?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Do i need to have a permit to carry visible side arm in Arizona & New Mexico?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2014
    Kansas City
    Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
    36 times
    Prospecting

Do i need to have a permit to carry visible side arm in Arizona & New Mexico?

Will be calling for clarification, but I thought that was our 2nd amendment right! I know u have to have a conceal & carry if concealed, but it will be holstered. Also I know that u can't discharge your weapon in BLM areas or be arrested. Concerned about mountain cats, & black bears.
    Thanks for any info

us
    Sep 2013
    Morristown, AZ
    Gold Bug Pro
    232 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold hound View Post
    Will be calling for clarification, but I thought that was our 2nd amendment right! I know u have to have a conceal & carry if concealed, but it will be holstered. Also I know that u can't discharge your weapon in BLM areas or be arrested. Concerned about mountain cats, & black bears.
    Thanks for any info
    Open is ok in AZ with some exceptions. Rattlers are a much bigger concern than bears and cats. Be sure to know the regs and do not depend on forum info. :-)
    2cmorau and Sheldon J like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10274 times
    Prospecting
    Open and concealed carry are legal in Arizona without any permits or registration required.

There are no restrictions on "shooting in BLM areas" but there are State laws against shooting within 1/4 mile of an occupied structure, watering tank or highway. It is also against the law to shoot mountain cats, & black bears without a valid tag.

There have been 9 people killed by mountain lions in the last 100 years in the United States. You have a much greater chance of being struck by lightning on a clear day than being attacked by a mountain lion.

If you have a fear of black bears don't carry food in your pockets, don't bring food in your tent and don't play with their cubs and you will be fine.

Bring your pistol and carry it concealed or exposed - no one will care in Arizona but please don't kill the wildlife unless you are hunting.
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Aug 26, 2014 at 01:14 AM.

us
    Mar 2014
    Kansas City
    Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
    36 times
    Prospecting
    Trust me, my intent isn't to go target practicing on wildlife. If by some off chance we were to run into a bear... We back out of area slowly without turning our backs to it. I know they will leave the area if they hear us, that they usually only attack if u sneak up on them and startle them or they have cubs. I just want to be able to protect myself if necessary. Anyways, thanks for the info.

us
    Oct 2008
    Colorado
    Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
    73 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It's the two legged variety of "wild life" that gives me pause. You just never know anymore. Granted, most predators prey on folks in areas of higher population, but we carry hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth of equipment, and sometimes we actually find gold. Better safe than sorry...and when it comes to going to jail for discharging a firearm, I would rather face charges than end up in the bone orchard, whether it be by rattler or crook.
    rodoconnor, Goodyguy and gusser like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1681 times
    Metal Detecting
    Weapons laws can be found for AZ and NM online~ as are most states.

I would not worry much about the wild life. In all my years bush in AZ I've never had to shot a snake and never had any problems with bears or cats. You can walk around and away from snakes and you'll be lucky to see a bear or cat. I've only ever had to fire my gun once and that was to scare off a pack of javelin. Javelin have poor eyesight and can be aggressive but they are also curious and not to be messed with if a pack comes sniffing around. Best to walk away from problems if you can.
    Worried about snakes~ take a 22 and get some snake shoot. Be more worried about shaking your boots out at camp in the morning as its a fact scorpions will take up residence in them, centipedes too. Spiders can be brushed out of camp.

Worries of the two leg variety: Having an open weapon does not guarantee people will leave you alone. If working within 40 miles of the boarder... In AZ that's anywhere south of I-10.... expect to meet Boarder Patrol. Generally they are ok but like any agency they prefer to have the guns... not you. Run into desert walkers.. aka illegals... just walk away or around.
    My thoughts.
    DizzyDigger and Tonto like this.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4467 times
    In any event , be continually aware of your surroundings so that you wont be surprised when someone / something is in your face and startels you!

gb
    Aug 2014
    England
    383 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DDancer View Post
    ... I've only ever had to fire my gun once and that was to scare off a pack of javelin. Javelin have poor eyesight and can be aggressive but they are also curious and not to be messed with if a pack comes sniffing around.
    What are 'javelin'?
    www.johnwinter.net
    Scribbler: BRINGING HISTORY to LIFE

us
    Mar 2009
    A Little South of Heaven
    Garrett Treasure Ace 300
    111 times
    Quote Originally Posted by John Winter View Post
    What are 'javelin'?
    It's actually javelinas, members of the pig family, also known as peccaries

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10274 times
    Prospecting
    Javelinas are not pigs, they are their own species. They travel in small family groups throughout the southwestern deserts. They have very poor vision but can move surprisingly quickly. The tusked males can be dangerous if cornered. They are good eating as long as you are careful of their scent glands when dressing them.

We hunted them from horseback in West Texas and New Mexico when I was young. I have seen a large (55 pound) male hamstring a horse when he was cornered and panicked. The javelina was good eating after a slow cook on a spit - the horse not so much.

Much like bears it is unwise to mess with them unless you are hunting them. Don't mess with their food or their young and don't harass them and they will do their best to avoid humans.
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Aug 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6048 times
    Prospecting
    Even though I'm a strong believer in the right of American citizens
    to keep and bear arms, and although spent considerable time in
    both, I never felt a need to carry a weapon when out in the forests
    or desert.

First rule is to pay attention to your surroundings. Snakes can show
    up in the strangest places, so always be on alert. If ya see one, then
    walk around it..all it's doing is hanging out waiting for a meal of mouse
    or other small critter to come by. Don't molest it's dinner time by
    killing it.

Cougar's will almost always back down and run if you appear threatening
    to them.

If it's more than an hour past sunrise, or an hour before sunset
    the odds of you even seeing a bear or cougar are very small. If you're
    in the woods, then pay attention to your surroundings.

If you have -0- experience in that kind of country, then bring along
    someone who does.

Rule #1: Don't act like prey and ya won't be prey.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

gb
    Aug 2014
    England
    383 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks, Guys! All is explained ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06-11_5886.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	1043808
    www.johnwinter.net
    Scribbler: BRINGING HISTORY to LIFE

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6048 times
    Prospecting
    John, Javelina generally run in packs, so if you see one
    then know there's more in the area. If you're in a wash
    and see them coming down it, then get out and move
    downwind of them. They can't see well at all, but have
    great noses.

Your only real concern is if they feel threatened, as they'll
    all attack at once, but that's not gonna ever happen if you
    give them their space. If you see their tracks or poop laying
    around, then just be watchful, and know they aren't out to
    get you.
    Clay Diggins likes this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    May 2010
    20 times
    Watch out in New Mexico with firearms. I lived in Arizona and posses a South Dakota concealed permit. My South Dakota Permit is good in quite a few States,
    New Mexico and Nevada are two I States I travel through where I am probably Illegal. Arizona is no problem, however If someone has a felony record they could have a serious problem in Arizona, or any other State for that matter. A Utah Concealed Permit is worth having as they are recognized in dozens of States.

us
    Aug 2012
    SO CAL
    SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, F19 and the Falcon
    1274 times
    Prospecting
    I never enter the desert or woods without gun, knife and lighter. I refuse to take a chance at being victomized especially if my kids are along.
    Tonto, russau, Goodyguy and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links