My 1st Ounce Journey

dreamsofgold

Oct 9, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The excitement of recovering my first ounce of gold is almost unmeasurable but as many of you know it was in no way shape or form easy to obtain. Since I live in south eastern Pennsylvania (little to no gold) I had to research the best possible location within a few hour drive from home base to do some prospecting. I decided to head south into the gold belt and plop the sluice and the pans in the creek and get to work. After spending several weeks prospecting different creeks and tributaries and finding nothing more then a few microns of gold I came to the conclusion that 150 years of prospectors stood here before me and to get the gold I was gonna have to work harder. Being stubborn as I am not to give up and except failure I decided to research were all that placer gold was coming from.

After determining the placer gold was weathering out of hard rock I decided to do some more research to see if we could locate some gold bearing ore. Last winter I purchased a Falcon MD20 and thus far it has proved to be an invaluable tool to find precious metals locked inside ore. It took a few more trips and miles of hiking through rugged mountainous terrain to locate anything worth recovering but, we found it! This is where the real work began! lol After extracting it from the ground via hammer, chisels and sweat, we loaded two backpacks 60lb each and hiked the ore out the same rugged trail we made to get in.

We smiled the entire way home with excitement knowing we had gold in the bag and all we had to do was get it out of the quartz. Easy right? NOT! First tool i grabbed was my air hammer. Running on 125 psi with a brand new rock chisel I go at the rock like fat kid at a cake eating contest. The gold inside the rock was laughing at me, you cant get me! I was determined so i headed for the hammer, then a bigger hammer until finally I am armed with biggest hammer I had which was opposite end of a 10 lb. wood splitting ax. After about 20 whacks from two different people I managed to chip off a few inch sliver of ore. What I saw inside sent me to the hardware to purchase a 50lb rock bar. After exhausting every muscle and bone in my body the ore was now reduced to small 3" pieces. Some pieces you could visibly see tiny little flecks of gold and others only visible with any eye loupe. Knowing how hard the ore was to bust I decided to fab up a quick impact mill. I acquired a 6 HP Briggs & Stratton pressure washer with a vertical shaft and a bad pump for free. I quickly fabricated a rock smasher (1 week) and it was finally time to shine. The impact mill worked beautifully reducing the hard quartz ore to a powder with only a couple of runs. Only two things left to do! Classify and Pan it out!

I vigorously agitate that pan, sweat dripping off my nose with anticipation of reaching the bottom. I removed all the magnetite and swirled it a few more times. Ahh there it is! Finally a visible accumulation of gold at the bottom of the pan. Success! It wasn't about the monetary value, it was about the challenge, the chase and feeling of accomplishment. Now onto bigger things. I am actively searching for the right gold claim and or partner to start up a legitimate operation.

MyFirstOunce.jpg Ore.jpg ImpactMill.jpg ImpactMill1.jpg GotGold.jpg

Upvote 0

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Seems as persistence paid off. Find a claim by yourself if you can. Partnerships are a whole different ballgame. Nice post. Good luck

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DreamsofGold...awesome story, and very well written!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No claims east a the rockies,it's a western thang-. You are one stubborn fella and THAT is what's needed to be a good miner-kudos-John

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense, but that looks like some type of sulfides. The color and fracture doesnt seem right to me. I'd do some testing and heat a pinch of it with an oxy torch and make sure it melts properly and doesnt burn off. Only saying this, as I have been duped more than once by conductive sulfides that give off sweet signals even on PI metal detectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dreamsofgold

dreamsofgold

Oct 9, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense, but that looks like some type of sulfides. The color and fracture doesnt seem right to me. I'd do some testing and heat a pinch of it with an oxy torch and make sure it melts properly and doesnt burn off. Only saying this, as I have been duped more than once by conductive sulfides that give off sweet signals even on PI metal detectors.

No offense taken. You are very observant and also correct. Since this came from the gold pyrite belt that runs from Northern Virginia to Alabama there is quite a bit of pyrite mixed in with it as well as Galena. Once crushed down to a fine powder I found that it was way to labor intensive to separate the two so I figured they will get the sulfides out when smelting it. I recovered it direct from an abandoned gold vein that once contained pockets of ore that assayed up to 90 ounces of gold from 150 lbs of ore. This certainly is not that ore lol (i wish) but it definately contains a good bit of microscopic and submicroscopic gold. I brought enough back to get my ounce out of ;-) I doubt you can see from this microscope shot but with the eye in the scope the gold is very clearly distinguishable from the pyrite. The gold has a much smoother deeper color and not quite as shiny and brassy as the pyrite. I cant wait until I can fill a pan full of nuggets but for this summer it was the only thing within reach and I learned a mountain of stuff on my Journey..

Pan.jpg

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal! Thanks for the explanation and pic of the micro gold. Looks good!

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That pic def backs you up. Nice shot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread