Disabled Veteran - Advice on carrying cons out, please help!

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, my wife and I went on our first gold prospecting outing at a privately owned creek known for producing gold. Everything went well, until it was time to pack up and leave. Our concentrate (sized to 1/4" via a HogPan) filled a 5-gallon bucket to just over 3/4 full. I would guess that the bucket weighed 60-70 pounds.

I am a disabled veteran, and I have degenerative disc disease in my lower back (aircraft mechanic in the USAF) and it took everything I had to carry that 5-gallon bucket of concentrate out. I know that going forward, I will not be able to physically do that again. The mind and will are strong, the body not so much.

Anyhow, I'm looking for advice and tips on what I can do to carry out our concentrate in the future without so much effort. I know many here will say to classify out on the water, and I agree with that to some extent, but I want to spend time on the water gathering concentrate, not classifying it. Also, I'm looking to recover as much gold as efficiently and effectively as I can, and I want to do that with a Miller table at home.

I've seen some carts with wheels that fit a 5-gallon bucket, but that is simply not feasible when trekking through rock strewn creek beds and forging your own path through overgrowth. The only solution I've been able to come up with is an ALICE type backpack with a garbage bag lined inside of it that the concentrate can be emptied into.

I figure that carrying concentrate via a backpack has got to be easier than dead lifting 60-70 pounds of concentrate in a 5-gallon bucket via a handle. I'm up for better ideas though, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Upvote 0

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Are you familiar with a water yoke? It is a very old and simple device. Basically a piece of wood that goes across the shoulders and disperses the weight of two filled water containers hung on each side for long foot journeys.

It is something you might consider. I'm not sure what sort of effect it will have on your back problems. But it would likely give you the similar results to the backpack setup you were considering.

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still think you should consider a cart. I've got one of these, and with 5 gallon bucket full of -4, can drag it along much of the time with one hand. The bigger the wheels, the better because the bucket will have a lower center of balance, and so a smoother ride over rough terrain. I'll also strap my pack on as it's less work than having it on my back. Anyway, that's my 2¢ worth..

Amazon.com : Deer Cart Game Hauler Utility Hunting Accessories Gear Dolly Cart 500lb New : Deer Wheel Cart : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From what your describing, backpack is the only way.
You could use a sluice and get your cons smaller before you pack out.If get them smaller, you can pack more out since I only run black sand down my miller table anyway.
Anything bigger goes down my sluice.
A lot of times I classify down to 1/8th before the sluice, and check my cons with my Goldmaster MD.
2 other possibilities.
A handtruck with 16-20 inch bicycle wheels on it for easy going over rocks.
A metal sled to slide over stuff behind you like a travois.

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Y not just go with a friend?

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best solution to avoid carrying out 5 gallons of cons is to not do it.
When I clean up my 5" dredge I get a solid 4 gallons of cons. I immediately place a LeTrap plastic sluice in the dredge sluice and re-run all of the cons through it.
4 gallons is reduced to about a quart
This sluice weigh only 4 pounds

SHoward

Mar 14, 2014
Dadeville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucket cart

bucket cart.jpg something like this work for you?

Gold Cube

Feb 20, 2011
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Another way is to reduce them farther by classifying to #8, scan all the larger material with a detector and only bring home the material that contains the most gold. Another way is to use sand bags. They can be tied to a belt and carried below your spine to save your back and free your hands.

carnet56

Jan 28, 2013
laurens south carolina
Detector(s) used
white dfx
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I fill for you buddy am also a disabled vet and I have the same back problem .am lucky my best friend who I rasied from the time he was 13 does all my mule work for me.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup gotta agree, bring in a small sluice reduce yur cons
Or cut a plastic barrel in half and drag it over the rocks, works well amazing how it just slides over like it’s on ice.
Hand truck i built for my stapp winch, and the half barrels i use for hand chucker’s. Would like to get a better picture of the half barrel but would take me most of the morning to dig it out. the rounded top works best for me

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 89

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2 words- Gold Cube

It's made of light weight aluminum and super durable plastic so the whole gold cube weighs like 10 lbs.
Other than the battery it's super easy for 1 person to carry it.
It's not only a great piece of equipment and very versatile but you will leave the creek with about a cup full of material.
I bought one for dredge clean ups but after owning it for a while I wish I purchased it sooner.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuttn' to it-split the load in half as 2 of you correct?? Or the ol'ox joke works mighty fine/splits the load weights and always carry my ledge frame bakpak for monster nuggets I can't carry by hand :laughing7: :headbang: John

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like others have said, reduce the amount of material coming home. Even fast panning will greatly eliminate most of the leaverite.

Mike

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a back pack frame for my dry washers and put a five gallon bucket on it . Last weekend I packed 100 lbs down a Mountian from sampling an old mine tailings , won't do 100 lbs again . But I will reduce the amount and make several safe trips rather then one unsafe trip again . The frame holds the load secure but you have to compensate for the bucket and weight , that may be hard on your back to . The best is the cart and lift the bucket over the bad spots , but it still would be the best way for you .

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a bazooka sluice I have a small snipper and I can run whatever amount of cons I have ussally around four gallons down to one pan full in almost any flow of water. Im talking about two pounds of heavys when done. No gold lost. Takes less then five mintues. Im am also a disabled vet and this is the best solution I have come up with.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Im also with you, disabled vet with the back problems (3 herniated vertabras) bad knees/ankels/and authritis everywhere else. I screen it down close at the creek to eleiminate the waste.

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for your responses! A lot of good ideas and solutions here! After evaluating what it is I am trying to do, I've decided that trying to pack out 5-gallon buckets of concentrate is not efficient (or safe), no matter which way you cut it. Given my back condition, I'm likely to hurt myself trying to carry them out, regardless if I am using a backpack, cart or other solution.

So, with that said, I've decided I will go ahead classify on the water after all. It's easier to pack out the resulting concentrate this way (as mentioned by several people), and even though it means less time on the water gathering material, I beleive it will be faster and more efficient in the long run. I went ahead and purchased a 24" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper to use in tandem with my HogPan. The idea is that I'll run material through the HogPan first, classifying it to 1/4", then run those cons through the BGT.

I really like the idea of the BGT and can't wait to use it. I chose the 24" because it's light and easily packable for long treks. I'll probably end up getting a Prospector down the road at some point. =)

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The bucket has to weigh more than you think it does. A gallon of water weighs over 8lbs.

Put half of the stuff in a second bucket. It's much easier to carry two buckets than one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions